The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by Dave_Beeston
I think I may have accidentally negged you when I tried to pos rep :tongue: couldn't agree more with your last sentence. My parents think I'm mad when I show them my hands :biggrin:

"Accidentally" eh?? I'll get you back sometime :wink: haha!
anyone else rowing at hexham on the 4th june??
Reply 1003

He was the guest speaker at our alumni society AGM dinner a couple of weeks ago and as boat club President I sat next to him for the whole meal. I don't think I've ever been more in awe of someone! Had nothing but rowing to talk about, but at least he's got interesting rowing stories rather than "this one time when I was in the 2nd 8...". Seriously good looking, too.
Reply 1004
First time out in a single today. Only got slightly wet...
First proper regatta yesterday, National Schools Regatta (2km)! We won our category (3rd VIII) :biggrin: first medal as well, not bad to start with a gold to the collection.

Never felt so much pain before though, I fell backwards when we hit the finish line and passed out. Woke up by the guy infront of me and behind me pushing me up :tongue:
Original post by victoria13
anyone else rowing at hexham on the 4th june??

I am :smile: Not expecting to win or anything though, just there for the fun. And the rubber ducks!! :woo:
Original post by Supernovae
I am :smile: Not expecting to win or anything though, just there for the fun. And the rubber ducks!! :woo:

Yeah same, its my first proper regatta so just going for the experience! x
Reply 1008
Anyone rowing petoborough regatta this weekend? (would be going met but exams :-( ) also what are peoples aims for this year?
Right, this is going to sound REALLY stupid, but here goes..
I've rowed quite a few times socially and I'm a decent rower, so I want to join a rowing club when I go to uni..
(I went in a single scull at my local rowing club and fell in STRAIGHT away lol)

Right, to the point.. I've heard you have to do a swim test to join university rowing clubs, and I'm a good swimmer with goggles, but I absolutely hate swimming without, and my eyes absolutely kill for hours/days if I don't wear goggles.
Is there anything I can do? Very embarrassing and I should probably just man up I know..
Reply 1010
Original post by joshgoldman
Right, this is going to sound REALLY stupid, but here goes..
I've rowed quite a few times socially and I'm a decent rower, so I want to join a rowing club when I go to uni..
(I went in a single scull at my local rowing club and fell in STRAIGHT away lol)

Right, to the point.. I've heard you have to do a swim test to join university rowing clubs, and I'm a good swimmer with goggles, but I absolutely hate swimming without, and my eyes absolutely kill for hours/days if I don't wear goggles.
Is there anything I can do? Very embarrassing and I should probably just man up I know..

Swim with your head out the water?
Original post by SimonM
Swim with your head out the water?

Oh so I could chill on a bit of breast stroke? Is it not like swim as quick as possible? haha
Reply 1012
Oh so I could chill on a bit of breast stroke? Is it not like swim as quick as possible? haha

It's usually something along the lines of swim 50m in a t-shirt and tread-water for a few seconds.
Original post by SimonM

Original post by SimonM
It's usually something along the lines of swim 50m in a t-shirt and tread-water for a few seconds.

Oh right, so it wouldn't matter if I took my time? Thanks for your help.
Reply 1014
Oh right, so it wouldn't matter if I took my time? Thanks for your help.

You can do your swim test wearing goggles if you wish. I've ran swim tests before and there's nothing wrong with letting people wear goggles on their swim test.
Original post by dobbs
You can do your swim test wearing goggles if you wish. I've ran swim tests before and there's nothing wrong with letting people wear goggles on their swim test.

Oh really? even better! Thanks
ive never seen any clubs ive been to do an actual swim test...
Reply 1017
Original post by partoftheweekend

Apparently they're looking at making them compulsory at the other place.
Reply 1018
Original post by partoftheweekend

Well they should do - it's a requirement of British Rowing that clubs carry these out. All the Durham colleges do them, Tyne RC does them, Northumbria Uni BC does them at the very least...
anyone know where you can buy surgical spirit from??...my hands are wrecked...

Quick Reply

Latest