The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laura_bird88
Hey everyone, I hope these aren't stupid questions, but they've been worrying me...

1)If we don't hear from our colleges asking what accomodation we want, does that mean we'll just be assigned a room? Because at Oriel they seem to have a grading system (A*-D I think) of the rooms, according to price and quality. If we're just assigned rooms when we get there, how can we budget? We haven't even been told prices, and I'd really like to work out my budget before I go! Also, I'd like to have a choice over the price of the room I want, if possible :s-smilie:
2) When do we bring what? I mean, do we wait until we've settled in and been assigned a room to bring up all of our stuff?

Sorry if these are tired questions...

1) Possibly, but it depends on what system Oriel are adopting - you could email them and check. Maybe they aren't allocating rooms until after results day (remember Oxford's term doesn't start until October), or maybe they haven't got round to asking you, or it could be that you don't have a choice. They won't mind you dropping them an email.

2) Most people in my experience bring most or all of their stuff with them on the day they come up, then wait for someone from home to visit bringing up everything they have forgotten and to take away any stuff that has proved to be superfluous.
Original post by Festina lente
1) Possibly, but it depends on what system Oriel are adopting - you could email them and check. Maybe they aren't allocating rooms until after results day (remember Oxford's term doesn't start until October), or maybe they haven't got round to asking you, or it could be that you don't have a choice. They won't mind you dropping them an email.

2) Most people in my experience bring most or all of their stuff with them on the day they come up, then wait for someone from home to visit bringing up everything they have forgotten and to take away any stuff that has proved to be superfluous.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I'll need to work up the courage to email- I'm ridiculously scared of looking at all ignorant to anyone at Oriel :P
I made a St. John's group on Facebook last week, and someone's made a new one and hijacked all the members. :cry2: They only set it up yesterday... :sigh:

It's probably more useful though, as there are current freshers... Still.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by laura_bird88
Thanks for the reply :smile: I'll need to work up the courage to email- I'm ridiculously scared of looking at all ignorant to anyone at Oriel :P

Don't worry! You'll be emailing the accommodation office, they won't tell your tutors, plus it's an easy question to them, no bother to answer :smile: My general experience in Oxford is that most people are really helpful if you are polite and friendly.

All you have to say is that you are an offer-holder and would like to know approximately when you will hear about accommodation and whether it is possible to choose your price band, particularly as you are on a budget. They'll understand!
Original post by Festina lente
Don't worry! You'll be emailing the accommodation office, they won't tell your tutors, plus it's an easy question to them, no bother to answer :smile: My general experience in Oxford is that most people are really helpful if you are polite and friendly.

All you have to say is that you are an offer-holder and would like to know approximately when you will hear about accommodation and whether it is possible to choose your price band, particularly as you are on a budget. They'll understand!

Hold on, I'm totally new to this. I've done all my student finance stuff, is there something else I need to sort?
Original post by tommy1311
Hold on, I'm totally new to this. I've done all my student finance stuff, is there something else I need to sort?

No, I'm sure you're fine, it's just that as the price band is particularly important to Laura I think she could get in touch with Oriel to check what they are doing. I'm sure there is no need to contact Queen's unless you have a particular concern; they will contact you in due course, or maybe you won't know where your room is until you turn up, that's not uncommon either!
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I think this is specific to Oriel, where they have different price bands for accommodation; the impression I've got about Queen's is that we all pay the same and the rooms are allocated randomly. I've heard absolutely nothing from Oxford since firming, I don't suppose you've heard anything?

Yeah, that's the impression that I got too. Apparantly the first year accomodation is horrifically ugly but very sociable, so that's good :smile:
Has anyone else seen the new X-Men film yet? There's some nice on-location shooting at Oxford :love:
Reply 1508
Haha, I got a letter from Univ about module choices... I was like, "Finally, an excuse to obsess over module descriptions!" Mind you, they haven't emailed me back about whether or not they recieved my module choices...
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I think this is specific to Oriel, where they have different price bands for accommodation; the impression I've got about Queen's is that we all pay the same and the rooms are allocated randomly. I've heard absolutely nothing from Oxford since firming, I don't suppose you've heard anything?

Yeah same. I even got an e-mail off Newcastle, who I'd already turned down. :s-smilie:
St Anne's group someone posted on the college thread:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_137272856345882&ap=1
Spoke too soon. Got a reading list from Queen's today.
Reply 1512
Original post by tommy1311
Spoke too soon. Got a reading list from Queen's today.

Got a letter from Queen's today too which went on about what I should do if I didn't do physics/biology A-Level.
I want some kind of letter :frown:
Reply 1514
Well mine was pretty useless. Though it said they will contact us in Aug/Sept.
Original post by riotgrrl
I want some kind of letter :frown:

Same :sad:
Same! :cry:
Got a letter from Southampton, does that count?
I had a recent email from Exeter... university :frown:
Original post by LtCommanderData
I had a recent email from Exeter... university :frown:

I keep getting emails from Exeter, King's and Warwick, the three places I rejected, which is weird. :dontknow:

I've been in contact with a person who I think is the Admissions Officer called Sarah Jones, who's extremely helpful, and also the head of French, Nikolaj Lubecker with regards to the French reading list. Still awaiting the Linguistics one though. :frown: I haven't received any official stuff since the reading list was sent through months ago.

And Aberystwyth's gone quiet since I applied for accommodation, but should be hearing from them in the next week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending