The Student Room Group

ran a red light!

Damnit! i just got back from the gym and driving home on the duel carriage way there's a pedestrian crossing, i was slowing down as a came towards it because it's just before a roundabout but it switched to yellow so i had to start braking much more heavily but as i was braking i thought that i was going too fast to be able to stop before the line so i stopped braking and ended up going though the lights at about 15mph. I was taught that you're allowed to go though amber if it's not going to be safe to stop so that's why i changed my mind as i was braking but then just as i was going past i saw them flick to red! If i saw them change to red i must've gone though on red so now i feel so ******* stupid, do they take pictures of cars that go though red lights? what will happen if i was caught? :frown:

God i'm an idiot :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TheOneCurlyFry
Damnit! i just got back from the gym and driving home on the duel carriage way there's a pedestrian crossing, i was slowing down as a came towards it because it's just before a roundabout but it switched to yellow so i had to start braking much more heavily but as i was braking i thought that i was going too fast to be able to stop before the line so i stopped braking and ended up going though the lights at about 15mph. I was taught that you're allowed to go though amber if it's not going to be safe to stop so that's why i changed my mind as i was braking but then just as i was going past i saw them flick to red! If i saw them change to red i must've gone though on red so now i feel so ******* stupid, do they take pictures of cars that go though red lights? what will happen if i was caught? :frown:

God i'm an idiot :mad:

there would have had to been a red light camera and it would have flashed you if caught. not all junctions have them, go back to the lights and have a look it will be a grey pole with a large camera pointing at the junction (not the small camera looking things on the lights, these detect traffic and pedestrians usually)

dealt with by 3 points and a £60 fine.
Reply 2
I did that on Tuesday. I guess that's why I'm still a learner.
jaw
there would have had to been a red light camera and it would have flashed you if caught. not all junctions have them, go back to the lights and have a look it will be a grey pole with a large camera pointing at the junction (not the small camera looking things on the lights, these detect traffic and pedestrians usually)

Thanks, will have a look next time! I didnt notice a flash but it wasnt particuarly dark and i wasnt looking out for one. I guess on the plus side at least they dont completely take away your licence.

Any idea how long they take to inform you that you've been caught?
Sweet, just had a look on google street view and there doesnt appear to be a camera on the lights or even pedestrian sensors.
TheOneCurlyFry
Thanks, will have a look next time! I didnt notice a flash but it wasnt particuarly dark and i wasnt looking out for one. I guess on the plus side at least they dont completely take away your licence.

Any idea how long they take to inform you that you've been caught?

I have heard they have to notify you within 14 days
Reply 6
Mate don't worry about it. :p:

There are never red-light cameras on those things. You didn't cause a collision by cutting the red and a cop-car didn't stop you, so you got away with it.

Just be more careful and decisive in future. If you can't stop in time, speed up and get through nice and safely on the amber. :top:
I've heard that red light cameras go off 1 second after the light turns red. How could they book you when you could have, quite legitimately, gone over at amber and still be passing through at the exact instant they turn red? Based on your description I'd be very surprised if you're done.

We all make mistakes, particularly when we're tired or stressed. I went over a zebra crossing (not a red light, still very bad though) when someone (very thin, hiding behind the beacon pole) was waiting to cross.

I also went over a zebra crossing, at very low speed, when someone was actually crossing. My view was obscured by traffic until I was actually on it. Waved an apology to the old lady. The rozzers saw, but didn't seem fussed.

If we all got caught when we broke the letter of the law there would be literally no drivers left on the road. Don't beat yourself up about it.
jaw

The red light camera will be a little after the traffic light I think, I don't think it's on top of the traffic light.

There was a plan a while back to change red light traffic cameras into speed cameras as well so we all get doubly ******!
Reply 9
Potential Trigger
The red light camera will be a little after the traffic light I think, I don't think it's on top of the traffic light.

There was a plan a while back to change red light traffic cameras into speed cameras as well so we all get doubly ******!

yup re-read my post, it will be on a grey pole next to and slightly before the light. The ones on top are just sensors.

It has to be before the camera as it needs to capture an image showing the red light :smile:
jaw
yup re-read my post, it will be on a grey pole next to and slightly before the light. The ones on top are just sensors.

It has to be before the camera as it needs to capture an image showing the red light :smile:

Oops my bad :o: Cheers.
Iv done that!!! i think its something we have all done/will do at some point. I wouldnt worry about it too much. The liklihood is, it would have flashed... give it 14 days and if you havent heard anything you should be fine!
You probably would have got flashed if there was a camera there. It's likely you weren't caught and got lucky. At least these teaches you a lesson for next time. :naughty:
Reply 13
It's unlikely there was a traffic light camera there.

Unless you're in Nottingham, traffic-light camera's are quite rare.

There's only five in the whole of Leicester that I know of.
Does anyone know if these double as speed cameras aswell?

I think i got flashed by one when it was on green light going towards it, so it was on the other side of the road to my car.

Had two lenses in it and called PEEK camera, little yellow box near a ped crossing.
Original post by united2000
Does anyone know if these double as speed cameras aswell?

I think i got flashed by one when it was on green light going towards it, so it was on the other side of the road to my car.

Had two lenses in it and called PEEK camera, little yellow box near a ped crossing.

Could it not have been for the traffic on the opposite side of the road?

As far as I know the types of cameras that have a visible flash have to be facing in the same direction as the traffic as not to distract or disorientate motorists. The only type that can be facing you are the Truvelo cameras that use an Infrared flash.
Original post by Scott1541
Could it not have been for the traffic on the opposite side of the road?

As far as I know the types of cameras that have a visible flash have to be facing in the same direction as the traffic as not to distract or disorientate motorists. The only type that can be facing you are the Truvelo cameras that use an Infrared flash.

cool mate hope your right, just hope it was my imagination.
Don't worry, I've done this too and was worrying for ages that there was a camera on top. But they're REALLY obvious, big grey boxes on top of the traffic light, so you would have noticed it. Also I'm pretty sure you would have noticed a flash too of it taking the picture.
Reply 18
No one cares. Christ why is everyone on this forum so neurotic. So you ran a red light? So what. People do that all the time.

Was there a big yellow camera? I'm guessing not otherwise you would have seen it. Stop ****ting your pants and get a grip.
Original post by united2000
cool mate hope your right, just hope it was my imagination.

Some **** could always have turned it around though like a particular camera in Leicester.
I don't know whether they would work properly if they were turned around due to the absence of the markings/sensors.

Don't worry until you get a letter from the council about it. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest