The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Viva009
what does the term 'genetic code' actually mean? :s-smilie:

Genetic code has many properties. It is a triplet code which is a set of three bases that codes for one amino acid. Also, it is degenerate. Degenerate means that each amino acid is determined by more than one code bar one. Also, they are sometimes stop codons which signify the end of the polypeptide chain. They are widespread but not universal due to the fact that the same codon usually codes for the same amino acid in all organisms, however this is not always the case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 301
Original post by katie93
I'm just about to have a look through the past papers/specification and see what hasn't been asked yet, but im thinking maybe nitrogen cycle? and probably meiosis too

I posted a document on this thread with a list of everything that has and hasn't been on yet :smile: I'll put it on again incase you missed it.
Found this youtube clip really useful if anyone's struggling with epistasis :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnG3s5F8S14
Reply 303
How are people revising for this exam by the way? What are your techniques??

Mindmaps, cartoons, past questions, powerpoints, flash cards.
Reply 304
Can there be a 6/7 marker on the procedure of electrophoresis? If there is, i hopefully want it to come up. :P
Reply 305
Original post by ManPowa
Can there be a 6/7 marker on the procedure of electrophoresis? If there is, i hopefully want it to come up. :P

There can be on anything... I think the spec says we need to explain it, so I'm sure there could be. Although I think it would be more likely to be on the use of electrophoresis and then DNA probes. For those kind of questions, there are always at least 15 points you could make, and I think it would be difficult to find those points for just electrophoresis.
i think everyone missed my post:frown:
Reply 307
Can someone help me?

In the PCR reaction, why are primers required? And why can the enzyme DNA polymerase itself bind to DNA fragments?

thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 308
Original post by TobeTheHero
i think everyone missed my post:frown:

didums
Reply 310
the more i revise... the more I feel like something is missing... so revise more and then it feels like I havent revised certain bits.. its scary
Reply 311
can someone explain to me how to work out the expected value in a chi squared test?
Original post by greenford
the more i revise... the more I feel like something is missing... so revise more and then it feels like I havent revised certain bits.. its scary

Can you elaborate on this please? I'm getting scared by what you mean now :s-smilie:
Reply 313
Original post by sportycricketer
Can you elaborate on this please? I'm getting scared by what you mean now :s-smilie:

its just that iology revision is getting on my head.... 6 hours biology everyday... whenever I revise something...it feels like i've missed something but when I go back to it...i know it... :confused::confused:
Original post by greenford
its just that iology revision is getting on my head.... 6 hours biology everyday... whenever I revise something...it feels like i've missed something but when I go back to it...i know it... :confused::confused:

Ahh right ok :s-smilie: what are you doing in these 6 hours?? reading through notes etc??
Reply 315
Original post by sportycricketer
Ahh right ok :s-smilie: what are you doing in these 6 hours?? reading through notes etc??

read notes... do question pack... read notes again..memorise... do little sticky notes of extra information thats not in the book...etc etc..
Original post by ManPowa
Can someone help me?

In the PCR reaction, why are primers required? And why can the enzyme DNA polymerase itself bind to DNA fragments?

thanks in advance :biggrin:

In annealing the temperature is reduced to 53 degrees. The primers bind to each end of the target sequence to be copied and they replicate the DNA using the free nucleotides.

And are you going on about taq polymerase in the 2nd qyestion? If so what happens is the temperature is raised to 72 degrees which is the optimum temperature of taq polymerase. Therefore this allows the binding of the taq polymerase to the primers that are attached to the DNA fragment.
Reply 317
hey

how can dissipating proton gradient induce apoptosis?

Transcription factors in hox clusters?
Reply 318
Questions on Homeobox genes?

are Hox clusters Homeobox gene located on separate C'somes

but all together are the hox clusters homebox genes?
okay so I've gone through the whole of the bio book and the spec but still don't know anything! Do you think mindmaps are a useful way of revising? I've tried making notes but they don't really help me :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest