The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Accommodation (Which one suits me best?)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dora the Dagger
Just to say in half response to this advice, personally, I wouldn't suggest Woodland court: The only people I knew who started off at Woodland this year weren't happy with the choice and moved out to other Halls (Hiatt mostly). (Obviously this isn't the case with everyone - but these students found the community at Woodland too small)

As others have said, if you want a catered hall that's close to shops etc. then go for CHH.

Hope that helps somewhat.

HEY GRACE!!!!!! talking bout me behind my back on the student room???????
love laura the woodland court drop out
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
Original post by ShinyLittleTit™
hawthorns is bangin, watch out for clifton wing though it's a bit of an island
real talk

Hey
Itake it you are in The Hawthorns this year? Really like the look of it any chance you could give me an honest list of pros and cons? Thanks
Original post by lucycat
Hey
Itake it you are in The Hawthorns this year? Really like the look of it any chance you could give me an honest list of pros and cons? Thanks

Some rooms in the hawthorns that I've seen are HUGE! As in you could comfortably fit 3 double beds in them and still have room.
Original post by lucycat

Original post by lucycat
Hey

last year

i had one of the premium ensuites :smug: and my room was huge, it was ridiculous, shame no-one visited me :emo:

i think the biggest con is the stairs really, and the fact that the building is a maze! it was a bit difficult getting my shopping to my kitchen on the second floor, but that's just because i'm little (as my name states :ahee:) i don't think anyone else had that problem

the kitchens are okay but sometimes the chinese people take over and there isn't much room in there for anyone else and it smells funny, but that is rare

you get a lovely view from the top bridge between the main bit and clifton wing, and i think it's great that you can be so close to where your lectures are (my attendance still wasn't great though :colondollar:)

so yeh, if you live in the hawthorns you shouldn't have any trouble meeting people because you'll probably get lost and bump into people and have a nice chat in the corridors
Reply 44
Original post by ShinyLittleTit™
last year

i had one of the premium ensuites :smug: and my room was huge, it was ridiculous, shame no-one visited me :emo:

i think the biggest con is the stairs really, and the fact that the building is a maze! it was a bit difficult getting my shopping to my kitchen on the second floor, but that's just because i'm little (as my name states :ahee:) i don't think anyone else had that problem

the kitchens are okay but sometimes the chinese people take over and there isn't much room in there for anyone else and it smells funny, but that is rare

you get a lovely view from the top bridge between the main bit and clifton wing, and i think it's great that you can be so close to where your lectures are (my attendance still wasn't great though :colondollar:)

so yeh, if you live in the hawthorns you shouldn't have any trouble meeting people because you'll probably get lost and bump into people and have a nice chat in the corridors

HeHe! Thanks for the reply, can't decide between Hawthorns, Manor (don't like the single sex floors) or possibly the brand new one Colston street
Original post by lucycat

Original post by lucycat
HeHe! Thanks for the reply, can't decide between Hawthorns, Manor (don't like the single sex floors) or possibly the brand new one Colston street

i didn't know this existed! it looks very nice though :sexface:

it's rather expensive though... but cheaper than my room was :lol:
Reply 46
Original post by lucycat

Hi my names jed and I live in the hawthorns currently just taking a break to procrastinate from my exams. Iv been to both and iv got to say the hawthorns is better on most counts. The hawthorns location is unbelivable without a doubt the best in the whole of bristol. Its less than 3 minute walk from all my lectures (economics) and right next to the triangle which is were most nights out are (lounge) its been recently refurbished so its properly smart inside lovely bedrooms and showers ect. So theirs no point in getting an on suite. Its alot less strict aswell. Manor hall is better looking from the outside but the hawthorns isnt exactly ugly. Its a less strict hall as well which is nice. Dont know about the one on colston street at all. Well done on getting into bristol and youll have a great time were ever you go! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.
Reply 47
Original post by jedpea
Hi my names jed and I live in the hawthorns currently just taking a break to procrastinate from my exams. Iv been to both and iv got to say the hawthorns is better on most counts. The hawthorns location is unbelivable without a doubt the best in the whole of bristol. Its less than 3 minute walk from all my lectures (economics) and right next to the triangle which is were most nights out are (lounge) its been recently refurbished so its properly smart inside lovely bedrooms and showers ect. So theirs no point in getting an on suite. Its alot less strict aswell. Manor hall is better looking from the outside but the hawthorns isnt exactly ugly. Its a less strict hall as well which is nice. Dont know about the one on colston street at all. Well done on getting into bristol and youll have a great time were ever you go! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

Hey
Thanks so much for the info, really like the look of Hawthorns and as you said fab location, my only concern really is no bar/social rooms like in the larger halls- although the cafe on the ground floor could come in handy if my poor cooking skills let me down! Think I'm over thinking the whole accommodation situation now
Reply 48
Hey again jedpea! Sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if there was an area or a room where you all get together in the evenings...or does not having your own bar mean you all head to the pub instead? :-) The details given about student houses are quite poor compared to the halls which seem to list all the fab social events they hold. Do the student houses have end of year balls etc ? Im making myself sound like a real party animal ,which I'm not, but I do enjoy a good night out with friendly easy going company
Reply 49
Original post by lucycat
Hey again jedpea! Sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if there was an area or a room where you all get together in the evenings...or does not having your own bar mean you all head to the pub instead? :-) The details given about student houses are quite poor compared to the halls which seem to list all the fab social events they hold. Do the student houses have end of year balls etc ? Im making myself sound like a real party animal ,which I'm not, but I do enjoy a good night out with friendly easy going company

Hey lucy sorry about taking agers to reply! Exasm and that. We have a student lounge which people congregate most evenings throughout terms just to chill and watch movies ect. Most drinking takes place in the kitchens due to the communal aspect and closenes to fridges ect. These means that drink is alot cheaper and pre lashes tend to last along time. Most social events are organised through orbital which is worth checking out online. Im baised here as next year I will be social secretary so in charge of the events. Orbital puts on events every night through freshers which are pretty decent(hopefully better this year) and a christmas ball aswell as other events through the year. You will automatically be part of orbital if you are any hall out of the stoke bishop ones. I really woudnt worry about the lack of bar if anythign it means you save money and the white hart is a great bar that is near bar and very cheap. No one really uses the cafe/bar downstairs if you cba to cook people either get ready meals form co-op/ sainsburies which are really nearby or order an archies. The hawthorns also has a JCR but its been pretty crap this year.
Reply 50
Original post by jedpea
Hey lucy sorry about taking agers to reply! Exasm and that. We have a student lounge which people congregate most evenings throughout terms just to chill and watch movies ect. Most drinking takes place in the kitchens due to the communal aspect and closenes to fridges ect. These means that drink is alot cheaper and pre lashes tend to last along time. Most social events are organised through orbital which is worth checking out online. Im baised here as next year I will be social secretary so in charge of the events. Orbital puts on events every night through freshers which are pretty decent(hopefully better this year) and a christmas ball aswell as other events through the year. You will automatically be part of orbital if you are any hall out of the stoke bishop ones. I really woudnt worry about the lack of bar if anythign it means you save money and the white hart is a great bar that is near bar and very cheap. No one really uses the cafe/bar downstairs if you cba to cook people either get ready meals form co-op/ sainsburies which are really nearby or order an archies. The hawthorns also has a JCR but its been pretty crap this year.

Hey Jedpea, hope your exams are going ok. Thanks for all the info, you've been a great help :-) Really want to end up in The Hawthorns now but hoping it's not going to be over subscribed as in some previous years :-( Prob put Manor down as second choice and just keep my fingers crossed...really don't want to end up in Stoke Bishop tho!
Reply 51
Original post by lucycat
Hey Jedpea, hope your exams are going ok. Thanks for all the info, you've been a great help :-) Really want to end up in The Hawthorns now but hoping it's not going to be over subscribed as in some previous years :-( Prob put Manor down as second choice and just keep my fingers crossed...really don't want to end up in Stoke Bishop tho!

Dont worry to much as youl have a great time where ever you go. All the halls are great I just love the hawthorns the most. Good luck and dont hesitate to pm me if you want an honest opinon on anything about bristol!
Reply 52
I've somehow changed my mind to going for the Hawthorns as a first choice and Manor hall as a 2nd after reading around the forum!

Are all Hawthorns rms ensuite?
Reply 53
Original post by jedpea
Dont worry to much as youl have a great time where ever you go. All the halls are great I just love the hawthorns the most. Good luck and dont hesitate to pm me if you want an honest opinon on anything about bristol!

Hi, what are the shared toilet and shower facilities like - are they shower blocks and toilet blocks are in bathrooms? Also, if you aren't in an ensuite room, how do you find sharing? And do you know what the shared ensuite bedrooms are like..how do they work?
And do you know how subscribed the hawthorns is?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope you can help! :smile:
Original post by volante
I've somehow changed my mind to going for the Hawthorns as a first choice and Manor hall as a 2nd after reading around the forum!

Are all Hawthorns rms ensuite?

No they aren't- all the info is on the website.
Original post by laura_lives_

Original post by laura_lives_
HEY GRACE!!!!!! talking bout me behind my back on the student room???????
love laura the woodland court drop out

Guilty as charged!!
I'm just such a gossip!
Reply 56
Original post by t.123
Hi, what are the shared toilet and shower facilities like - are they shower blocks and toilet blocks are in bathrooms? Also, if you aren't in an ensuite room, how do you find sharing? And do you know what the shared ensuite bedrooms are like..how do they work?
And do you know how subscribed the hawthorns is?

Sorry for all the questions! Hope you can help! :smile:

Sorry for the late reply again. There are no shared en suite bathrooms in the hawthorns apart from in the shared rooms there are only 2 rooms like that so dont worry to much. The shared bathrooms are numerouse and absoloutly prime. They where brand new when i moved in so theyl be fine for your year. There are a range of different bathrooms but there all individual. Some even have baths in they are like the bathrooms you would expect in a budget hotels en suite rooms.
Original post by ice_cube
Because it prevents you from doing anything in the evening. I think I only made it to dinner once a week because I had musical rehearsals, society stuff, was seeing friends outside of halls etc. Dinner is only between 5 and 6.30 (or somethign similar) which doesnt suit my eating habits at all, and breakfast was very early for an arts student. If you dont have lectures in the morning you wont bother going to breakfast. It just ends up being annoying.

:biggrin: respect for admitting it, lol.
Reply 58
Original post by scribble_girl
:biggrin: respect for admitting it, lol.

Yea yea, like you were any better :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending