The Student Room Group

Drama School/University Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Tephilla
Hi Roo Bix,

Well I got offered a DaDa for Alra which was going to cover all my school fees and all I had to contribute was the university fee which was something like £300 a year. I'm not taking the place now though as I got an offer at drama centre but yeah that was the gist of it. The dada lasts all the way through your course so you shouldnt have to worry about trying to find money for training, and as far as I'm aware there are 3 terms like most other higher education institutions :smile:

Speaking of drama centre, anyone else headed there this year?

Thank you for replying Tephilla and congratulations on your offer at Drama Centre! Could I kindly ask what the process was from start to finish: when you applied up to when you got the offer, and how your experience was auditioning/what you had to do on the day?

I also have to ask, what about the contribution you have to provide after the DaDa? The £1,200+ that most Drama Schools after for; Just a bit confused. That £300, that's the course deposit, or?

Sorry for all the questions! :cute:
Any one had recall for LAMDA yet following 2nd 1st audition 10 days ago?
Reply 562
Original post by Roo Bix
Thank you for replying Tephilla and congratulations on your offer at Drama Centre! Could I kindly ask what the process was from start to finish: when you applied up to when you got the offer, and how your experience was auditioning/what you had to do on the day?

I also have to ask, what about the contribution you have to provide after the DaDa? The £1,200+ that most Drama Schools after for; Just a bit confused. That £300, that's the course deposit, or?

Sorry for all the questions! :cute:

Haha that's fine. Well Drama Centre was the last of all my auditions, and I hadn't really expected to really get a good vibe from the place. But the audition process was really satisfying. They do 3 rounds on the first day, which consist of a mixture of doing your speeches, interviews and a voice section (although I can't really remember the exact order). After each stage they put up a list of people that they want to see more of, and if you get through to the end of the day you then await a letter informing you about whether they're going to give you a recall or you're not successful that year. Because of the time when I did my audition I got that letter a couple of days later as the next recall was the coming saturday. For the recall day, you're required to learn one of shakespeare's sonnets as the day is essentially a day of classes. It's a full days work including character analysis which is really interesting and challenges the way you think about playing characters (one of the main reasons why I'm going there now). Anyway, about 3-4 days later I got a phonecall from drama centre letting me know they were offering me a place. And that was pretty much it haha.

And in terms of the dada, I'll have to double check that again as I can't remember.
Uea number 2 in the guardian's list for drama. Top university for drama in the country. Amazing!
Reply 564
I've started a blog where I'm interviewing actors who auditioned at drama schools. The aim of the blog is to help future auditionees to demystify the whole process. If you think you would like to share your experience, please contact me at dramaschoolsatgmail.com

Check out the blog here: http://insidedramaschoolauditions.blogspot.com/
Reply 565
Hi,

I'm Matilda and I live in Australia- though I'm British originally. I'm finshing high school in Melbourne next year and want to do musical theatre in England somewhere. I honestly have no idea where to start looking and applying, and what's good and what's not, and it's overwhelming me!

Would someone be able to give me a quick rundown of what I should be doing, looking at, etc? You can just PM me if you like?
Thankyou so much!
Reply 566
Hey,

I am currently in the process of researching different possibilities and degrees. Lately I started considering drama/acting as one of my options, however I haven't done any drama related things, since doing GCSE Drama last year. Is it possible to get onto a Acting/Drama degree or school without recent experience. Any universities, which are keen on taking unexperienced students?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply 567
Original post by Jakubb
Hey,

I am currently in the process of researching different possibilities and degrees. Lately I started considering drama/acting as one of my options, however I haven't done any drama related things, since doing GCSE Drama last year. Is it possible to get onto a Acting/Drama degree or school without recent experience. Any universities, which are keen on taking unexperienced students?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

All you need to do is show your pasion and willingness to learn. Which subject are you interested in?
Reply 568
Im going to be auditioning for drama schools this year and I was wondering if they will still take me on even if I cant sing? Im good at acting but I have a terrible singing voice.

Also, I was wondering if it was worth auditioning this year because I will only be 18 and they usually take people older, but I really dont want to take a gap year!

And last question, is the 2 year course just as good as the 3 year?
Original post by rdizzle
Im going to be auditioning for drama schools this year and I was wondering if they will still take me on even if I cant sing? Im good at acting but I have a terrible singing voice.

Also, I was wondering if it was worth auditioning this year because I will only be 18 and they usually take people older, but I really dont want to take a gap year!

I believe that typically it's not about the tonal qualities, it's about the ability to give a good performance with the song.
Reply 570
Hello, I'm an American student and this is my first time doing auditions and I'm really looking at RADA. I have already prepared a few Shakespearean pieces as well as a song; however I am having some difficulty with the modern/contemporary piece. I have found one that really enjoy, however it is a monologue from a musical. Is a musical monologue allowed or should I shy away from it and choose something else?
Reply 571
Original post by rdizzle

It really depends on what subject your studying if your studying singing or opera then you might not get in but if you are doing pure acting then it probably wouldn't matter and if your doing musical studies it might matter or it might not. If your going for technical theatre who cares if you can't sing! It really depends on what you want to study.
Reply 572
Hey i'm also thinking of applying to drama schools but no idea which ones, I was referred to MMU School of theatre but no idea, does anyone know if it's any good at all?
Reply 573
Hey all, i'm also thinking about applying to drama schools this year but no idea which ones, I was referred to MMU School of theatre but have no idea if it's any good, I know about RADA, LAMDA etc but just wondered if anyone has any infer on the Manchester school of theatre and whether it's any good?

thanks!
Reply 574
Original post by Raaah99
Hey all, i'm also thinking about applying to drama schools this year but no idea which ones, I was referred to MMU School of theatre but have no idea if it's any good, I know about RADA, LAMDA etc but just wondered if anyone has any infer on the Manchester school of theatre and whether it's any good?

thanks!

http://www.drama.ac.uk/
Could anyone on here give me any pointers as to whether any degrees in performing arts or drama can incorporate a strong focus on singing also yet isn't musical theatre?

Also, does anyone know how strong your dance abilities need to be to apply into a Musical Theatre course which isn't an accreditted Drama school type?
Hey Guys!!

I'm applying to:

Kent Uni - Got my interview in dec!
St marys Uni - Got my interview in dec!

Central - Audition in dec!
East 15 - Audition in dec.
Bruford - Not heard yet
RSC - Not heard yet
Oxford - Had my audition; was offered the foundation
Mountview - Got a recall ; waiting to hear.
LAMDA - got my audition on saturday!! Scarryyy ; any advice?

Hope everyone else's auditions are going well!

xx
[QUOTE="emiliebazza;34960573"]Hey Guys!!

I'm applying to:

Bruford - Not heard yet
RSC - Not heard yet

xx

Arrggghhh! SAME! Super scary, isn't it?!?

Is it your first time at LAMDA? Also how old are you?

Best of luck and I may even see you there! :biggrin:
Original post by Cjhill1992
Could anyone on here give me any pointers as to whether any degrees in performing arts or drama can incorporate a strong focus on singing also yet isn't musical theatre?

Also, does anyone know how strong your dance abilities need to be to apply into a Musical Theatre course which isn't an accreditted Drama school type?

I'm sure you've found something already, but Falmouth's music theatre course isn't a musical theatre course - but there is a strong focus on voice, you might want to check it out.
Reply 579
Original post by emiliebazza
Hey Guys!!

I'm applying to:

Bruford - Not heard yet
RSC - Not heard yet

xx

Good luck with bruford :smile: I'm here at the moment and love it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending