The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by TheRockMaster
Oswald-
Restoration theory suggests that the function of sleep is to restore energy, replenish vital neurotransmitters and replace damaged cells with new ones.

REM is important for brain development- he found this was particular for people who were recovering from brain damage such as drug overdoes, spent longer in REM sleep.

NREM is important for body- surge in growth hormones During SWS- stage 4.

Horne-

We sleep to restore the brain- therefore REM and SWS is the only important stages of sleep.

All other stages are optional and can be replaced by relaxed wakefulness.

Research-

Shapiro's study shows the affect of physical exercise and sleep-

Shapiro found that marathon runners spend longer time sleeping after a long marathon.

However, Horne and Minard found that exhausting participants just fall asleep quicker rather than longer.

Sleep deprivation studies-

Oswald argues that sleep deprivation can cause behavioural and brain changes.
Peter Tripp- did not sleep for 201 hrs. He suffered from psychological damage during and after TSD. This affected his marital life.

However the case of peter Tripp was a single case study and there were also some ethical considerations which were not considered.

Randy Gardner sleep deprived for 264 hrs. Also suffered from psychological damage but only during the TSD. He then slept afterwards, replacing nearly 15% of lost sleep. He fully recovered.

Animal sleep deprivation-

Rechtschaffen studied sleep deprived rats by placing then on a turn table and if they did not move they fell into the water and consequently drowned. After 31 days all experimenter rats died, and control rats which were allowed to sleep were perfectly fine.

However this study may not be generalisable as humans and rats have different internal biology. Therefore sleep may not serve the same purpose.
Also, there is an aspect of stress which may have been the result of the death, rather than TSD.

Jouvets cats!

However:

Jouvets cats showed that by depriving cats of REM they all died. However The war
wounded veteran who had no REM survived and lead a happy life as a lawyer.

Paralysed people have very low levels of physical activity, meaning they should not sleep as much in fact not at all. But they still do.

A03/conclusion

Biological reductionism- ignores the fact that amount of time spent in sleep differs across different species.
?
acknowledges the complexity of the nature of sleep- REM and NREM. Also looks at the biological parts.

Hope this helps!!!:biggrin:

That was so helpful ! Thanks a million :biggrin:
Has anyone got any essay plans for aggression, that they'd be happy to share please?
It would help loads !
Reply 242
Hi was just wondering if anyone had any IDA's for group displays, i have determinism but would be great if you could help me out on some more :smile:
Reply 243
Original post by triangle_eyes
Has anyone got any essay plans for aggression, that they'd be happy to share please?
It would help loads !

You may have allready seen these but i found them to be a great help
http://www.solsch.org.uk/media/af2eb23849a9409db3692db9201706d1.pdf

Hope this is of use :smile:
Original post by rubez14

the link doesnt seem to open for me :/ what does the pdf contain?
Original post by rubez14

They are insanely good, these are what I've been looking for! Cheers :smile:
Reply 246
Original post by sweet&petitee
the link doesnt seem to open for me :/ what does the pdf contain?

It has exemplar essays all with essay plans as well. They are really worth a look if you can find a way to open them :smile:
Original post by rubez14

thanks, oh my god i love you
this looks incredible!
Reply 248
Original post by rubez14

Any chance anyone can email me the PDF? It doesnt seem to open for me :/ would really appreciate it ! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Smilie :)
Any chance anyone can email me the PDF? It doesnt seem to open for me :/ would really appreciate it ! :smile:

http://www.solsch.org.uk/pages/curriculum/psychology.aspx
I think it is the one that says a2 revision
Reply 250
Original post by TheRockMaster
http://www.solsch.org.uk/pages/curriculum/psychology.aspx
I think it is the one that says a2 revision

thanks i tried that earlier and managed to open it!
Does anyone know what grade the model answers are? :smile:
Original post by Smilie :)
thanks i tried that earlier and managed to open it!
Does anyone know what grade the model answers are? :smile:

It looks like they're full markers, after looking through the school's a-level results last year (I procrastinate way too much), they had like, 4 students with 4 A*s, and 90% A grades. Absolutely mental, my school must have about a 20% pass rate! aha
U no it AO2/3 - 16 marks - can u do 13 makrs of ao3 and 3 marks of a02 = or 10 marks ao2 and 6 marks ao3... like is there a set amount that is ao2 and ao3???
Original post by liamcol123
It looks like they're full markers, after looking through the school's a-level results last year (I procrastinate way too much), they had like, 4 students with 4 A*s, and 90% A grades. Absolutely mental, my school must have about a 20% pass rate! aha

hahaha I know
no one got higher than a C at A2 last year. My school is AWFUL.

ah I wish that school had more resources than that one document!
Reply 254
Original post by triangle_eyes
hahaha I know
no one got higher than a C at A2 last year. My school is AWFUL.

ah I wish that school had more resources than that one document!

omg same, my school is terrible! Im hoping they put some more stuff up, especially for unit 4!
Original post by StudentToday
U no it AO2/3 - 16 marks - can u do 13 makrs of ao3 and 3 marks of a02 = or 10 marks ao2 and 6 marks ao3... like is there a set amount that is ao2 and ao3???

It's 12 A02 marks, and 4, A03 I think, though if you put more methodological marks than 4 they can carry over to A02
Reply 256
Sorry to ask again but please can someone give me some IDA's for group displays.

Glad my link is of use to so many of you but please can someone help me lol!
Original post by rubez14
Sorry to ask again but please can someone give me some IDA's for group displays.

Glad my link is of use to so many of you but please can someone help me lol!

i would like to help but also searching for IDA for group display!! sorry :frown:
Original post by sweet&petitee
i would like to help but also searching for IDA for group display!! sorry :frown:

you can discuss how deindividuation would be an alternative approach
you can mention how it assumes that aggression is evolutionary and not genetic etc....
you can say it may no longer be relavant in changing society

and finally you can talk about implications for policing strategies
Original post by antipesto93
you can discuss how deindividuation would be an alternative approach
you can mention how it assumes that aggression is evolutionary and not genetic etc....
you can say it may no longer be relavant in changing society

and finally you can talk about implications for policing strategies

oh yeh i always forget practical implications are IDA, woops

thanks v much :smile: :smile: +1 rep

but if it states group displays of aggression are evolutionary, then its therefore also genetic? since the whole point of evolution is to pass down successful genes & reproductive fitness etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending