The Student Room Group

WJEC PY4 21st June 2011 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mhmm Im resitting PY2 aswell as taking PY4.. Bad times :l
Hi there fellow pyschologist's

I would like resources and info on studies that relate to gender bias and on Intelleigence and finally anything else for Abnormal,Level of Consciousness ....I was supposed to do Relantionships
but I prefer Intelleigence and don't enjoy relantionship
cheers :smile: sorry for any bad english on my part ...I can read and speak the language just not good at writing and typing it D:
I was wondering if anyone studying abnormalities knows whether the questions on Schizophrenia and Depression will say:
"Discuss the Aetiologies of Depression"
or if the question can specify either biological or psychological explanations? - "What are the psychological explanations of Depression?"
Thanks.
Original post by The Cello Ninja
I was wondering if anyone studying abnormalities knows whether the questions on Schizophrenia and Depression will say:
"Discuss the Aetiologies of Depression"
or if the question can specify either biological or psychological explanations? - "What are the psychological explanations of Depression?"
Thanks.

From what I've read it is possible that they could ask you about just physiological or psychological explanations, but from looking at past papers and the spec it's unlikely and they will just ask a general question like "Describe and Discuss the aetiologies of unipolar depression".
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
From what I've read it is possible that they could ask you about just physiological or psychological explanations, but from looking at past papers and the spec it's unlikely and they will just ask a general question like "Describe and Discuss the aetiologies of unipolar depression".

please could someone help me with the punishments and treatments of crime? I've got three areas i want to talk about, is it bad if two of them are from the behavioural approach? I can't find good resources for any other approach anywhere
Reply 46
:smile:
Original post by username 123
please could someone help me with the punishments and treatments of crime? I've got three areas i want to talk about, is it bad if two of them are from the behavioural approach? I can't find good resources for any other approach anywhere

hi there :smile: could you be more clear on what you want to include in the essay. i may be able to help you :smile:
i think it will be ok if two of them are behavioural but you just have to remember the examiner is looking for you to compare, evaluate and make a sort of big argument between the theories that you are describing :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Haz-07
Mhmm Im resitting PY2 aswell as taking PY4.. Bad times :l

you wil be ok, resitting unit to will help with PY4 with things likethe controversies :smile:
and good luck with unit 2 and 4 :smile:
Reply 48
I'm feeling pretty confident about it, I did a mock yesterday and got an A so that has reassured me a bit! The exam is very different though - not in the same classroom and in a cold exam hall :tongue: Forensics is my favourite topic! How did you do when you took the exam? :smile:

wow well done :smile: for your A !
i agree the exam is very different and hard as well
relationships is my favourite topic :smile:
i havnt actually sat this exam yet cause it the last psychology one for me
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
does anyone know what a good conclusion would be to the understudied relationship question ?
Original post by *rainbows*
:smile:

hi there :smile: could you be more clear on what you want to include in the essay. i may be able to help you :smile:
i think it will be ok if two of them are behavioural but you just have to remember the examiner is looking for you to compare, evaluate and make a sort of big argument between the theories that you are describing :smile:

thankyou! I've actually worked it out now, doing behavioural punishment, one cognitive treatment and one psychodynamic so i feel better about it, was just having my daily psychology panic :wink: x
If this is WJEC you are talking about, can I just throw the spanner in the works?

The question was asked either last June or January this year ( not sure which) and I read the examiners report. They remarked there that too much time was taken by students discussing punishments ( capital punishments etc) and that many candidates had not addressed the issue of " zero tolerance" on the question from a psychological point of view . Zero Tolerance is specified as one treatment/ punishment on the specification.

So you need treatments from behavioural, cognitive ( and psychodynamic if you choose) but make sure you include zero tolerance. From a psychological point of view this is seen as a vicarious learning situation. People see others punished for minor transgressions and therefore learn not to do the same themselves
( they thus avoid the punishment). That was what the examiners report said.
Original post by wellpastmybedtime
If this is WJEC you are talking about, can I just throw the spanner in the works?

The question was asked either last June or January this year ( not sure which) and I read the examiners report. They remarked there that too much time was taken by students discussing punishments ( capital punishments etc) and that many candidates had not addressed the issue of " zero tolerance" on the question from a psychological point of view . Zero Tolerance is specified as one treatment/ punishment on the specification.

So you need treatments from behavioural, cognitive ( and psychodynamic if you choose) but make sure you include zero tolerance. From a psychological point of view this is seen as a vicarious learning situation. People see others punished for minor transgressions and therefore learn not to do the same themselves

I havn't even done Zero tolerance! :s-smilie:
Original post by wellpastmybedtime

neither have i :/ i read the examiners report from january when it came up and i thought you just had to link whatever punisment you wrote about to psychology?
3. Forensic Psychology
Approaches to profiling (e.g. the US ‘Top down’ approach, the British
‘Bottom-up’ approach and geographical profiling).
Decision-making of juries (e.g. minority influence, majority influence and
characteristics of the defendant).
Theories of crime (biological social and psychological).
Factors affecting the accuracy of eyewitness testimony (e.g.
reconstructive memory, face recognition, attributional biases, the role of
emotion).
Treatment and punishment of crime (e.g. cognitive therapies, behavioural
therapies and zero tolerance).

The above is from the specification.
The word from WJEC is that if it is specified here then they expect to see it in a students answer. You can see cognitive therapies, behavioursl therapies and zero tolerance.

This below is taken from the examiners report on the question asked:

Q.10 A shock for the examiners, as this was a very popular but poorly answered question.
Many candidates wrote superficially with little actual psychology. It is also important
to answer the question. Many quoted ‘zero tolerance’ policing, which is relevant to
the question when considered as a vicariously learnt punishment (i.e. relevant in
social learning theory terms). Unfortunately most of these candidates chose to
discuss it as a simple crime prevention measure with no relevant psychology and the
least successful treated it as an extended tabloid leader.

You will note the examiner says the answer was superficially answered by most and then goes on to cite the issue of zero tolerance and how it was not addressed or when addressed not done so properly

So just be aware. Its not often examiners use the word " shocked". It usually means it will be back on the paper ...... although I wouldnt like to say back for this sitting ( maybe next jan or June) but you never know they could throw it again just to see if the issue has been addressed.

Good luck! I hope its not there . I hope you get something decent like theories or offender profiling.
Juries and decision making might come up. My money is on that . I dont think its been asked for a while.

You really could do with learning about that.

In my college we did zero tolerance, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the form of Reasoning and Rehabilitation and Enhanced Thinking Skills programmes, and Token Economy (behaviourist).

Here are some notes on zero tolerance if they would be of any use to you:

The Zero Tolerance (ZT) approach to crime is to respond to all crime as it were equally serious.

Kelling and Wilson - if one broken window is left unrepaired in a neighbourhood it creates a social norm that window breaking is acceptable and there is a downward spiral of crime. A ZT approach suggests this downward spiral can be avoided by tackling minor crime at the outset to prevent it escalating.

In New York City, Police Commissioner Bratton used 7000 extra officers to target low level crimes e.g. street drinking, and in a short time period the crime rate dropped 37% and the homicide rate dropped by 50%, appearing to show ZT works however the reduced crime rate may not be due to ZT but the increased police presence in the streets.

It should also be noted that crime rates decreased significantly in other states without the ZT policy, suggesting factors such as decreased drug supply across several states (and decreased drug-related crime) were responsible for the reduction.

Pollard criticised the New York policy for being too harsh e.g. by harassing citizens by cracking down on non-criminal activities like drinking, which could be detrimental as it alienates the community leading to problems with long-term policing.

In support of ZT however, Ulmer et al reported a ZT approach to driving offences in Florida showed large reductions compared to nearby states who didn’t use the approach.

Modern approaches to prison see treatment rather than pure punishment as a goal. This is desirable for many reasons;

* It helps reduce reconviction rates;
* May reduce rates of self-harm and suicide in prisoners, and;
* May prove less costly if prison populations can be reduced over time.

Critics however will always see ZT as the best policy and dismiss any attempt at treatment as an easy way out. The debate continues over which is the better approach.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
how is everyone revising for this exam?, it very hard to revise for.
You really could do with learning about that.

In my college we did zero tolerance, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the form of Reasoning and Rehabilitation and Enhanced Thinking Skills programmes, and Token Economy (behaviourist).

Here are some notes on zero tolerance if they would be of any use to you:

The Zero Tolerance (ZT) approach to crime is to respond to all crime as it were equally serious.

Kelling and Wilson - if one broken window is left unrepaired in a neighbourhood it creates a social norm that window breaking is acceptable and there is a downward spiral of crime. A ZT approach suggests this downward spiral can be avoided by tackling minor crime at the outset to prevent it escalating.

In New York City, Police Commissioner Bratton used 7000 extra officers to target low level crimes e.g. street drinking, and in a short time period the crime rate dropped 37% and the homicide rate dropped by 50%, appearing to show ZT works however the reduced crime rate may not be due to ZT but the increased police presence in the streets.

It should also be noted that crime rates decreased significantly in other states without the ZT policy, suggesting factors such as decreased drug supply across several states (and decreased drug-related crime) were responsible for the reduction.

Pollard criticised the New York policy for being too harsh e.g. by harassing citizens by cracking down on non-criminal activities like drinking, which could be detrimental as it alienates the community leading to problems with long-term policing.

In support of ZT however, Ulmer et al reported a ZT approach to driving offences in Florida showed large reductions compared to nearby states who didn’t use the approach.

Modern approaches to prison see treatment rather than pure punishment as a goal. This is desirable for many reasons;

* It helps reduce reconviction rates;
* May reduce rates of self-harm and suicide in prisoners, and;
* May prove less costly if prison populations can be reduced over time.

Critics however will always see ZT as the best policy and dismiss any attempt at treatment as an easy way out. The debate continues over which is the better approach.

Thanks!! :^_^: I've done Token Economy, and Cognitive Skills programmes (And a little bit on the Death Penalty as evaluation) Though I'm sure my teacher keeps missing things out... :s-smilie:
Thanks!! :^_^: I've done Token Economy, and Cognitive Skills programmes (And a little bit on the Death Penalty as evaluation) Though I'm sure my teacher keeps missing things out... :s-smilie:

This essay is the one I'm most concerned about, because everyone seems to be taught very different things! We didn't cover the death penalty but I don't think it's compulsory as it wasn't mentioned on the spec, but I will try to weave it into an evaluation point somewhere!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending