The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

How many topics are you revising for the section A?

Is it too risky to learn just two? say...energy and water
Original post by mischka_tay
How many topics are you revising for the section A?

Is it too risky to learn just two? say...energy and water

People say that...but I am taking my chances and revising 2: Water and Tech fix. My reasoning is that if you know the whole topic via in-depth revision then you shouldnt need to have a back up, and if you go through the spec then there will be no suprise.
Reply 122
Original post by TheRockMaster
People say that...but I am taking my chances and revising 2: Water and Tech fix. My reasoning is that if you know the whole topic via in-depth revision then you shouldnt need to have a back up, and if you go through the spec then there will be no suprise.

Same...Energy and Superpowers are my two...:smile:
Hello,

Can I ask you guys a question about the essay. When it says links it with other topics throughout - how do you put that in there do you say this links with biodiversity .... or do you just use keywords from the topics?? Or have I got no clue???

Thank you x
Original post by fathead_09
Hello,

Can I ask you guys a question about the essay. When it says links it with other topics throughout - how do you put that in there do you say this links with biodiversity .... or do you just use keywords from the topics?? Or have I got no clue???

Thank you x

When, according to me it does not have to be direct link. If you look at the pre-release it references to Water security issues with the climate as well as the amount of water needed for the tourism developpment projects (Plan Azur).

It links to biodiversity as well- ECOREGIONS.

A typical sentence may be:

The Plan Azur tourism development will also affect water security issues. The Maghreb region...suffering from water stress due to climate...using more water will just put further stress upon the water sucurity.

Hope this helps!
Reply 125
http://www.mei.edu/Portals/0/Publications/Migration%20Maghreb.pdf

H~ere is some info on the migration, which I think is important in depletion of work force.

This also links in well with the synoptic link of Lee's push and pull factors in unit 1: EU is a strong pull factor for people migrating and terrorism is a strong push factor.

Thanks for this!!
Reply 126
I know this thread is about the pre release section b, but does anyone have any feelings on what kind of area the questions of section a are gonna be on? Im gonna be doing energy and water if anyone can help pleeeaasseee?

Knowing what questions came up on the last paper would be helpful but edexcel need you to login on their site to download the past paper from jan!
Reply 127
Original post by caliper
I know this thread is about the pre release section b, but does anyone have any feelings on what kind of area the questions of section a are gonna be on? Im gonna be doing energy and water if anyone can help pleeeaasseee?

i know the exact feeling, i think generally the section a questions are generally similarish from year to year? [don't take this as gospel]. i think the best advice is to just know the topics in side out, back to front and upside down so you're covered for all eventualities and have maybe 2 or 3 case studies for each section.

January 2011 energy wasn't in the section a because the pre release was on it but water was:

a) suggest possible concequences for people and the environment of the projected changes in water withdrawals
b) using examples assess the role of named players in securing water supplies

June 2010

Water Conflicts:
a)explain how human interferance in the water cycle can affect water avaliability
b)using named examples assess the potential for water supply to become a conflict.

Energy Security
a)Sugget the possible environmental consequences opf the changes in electricity consumption shown (from the resource)
b)assess the degree of uncertainty over the future global sources of energy supply.

January 2010

Water Conflicts
a) explain how pyhsical and human factors have contributed to the variation in water scarcity shown
b)using named examples assess the contribution of large scale water management projects in increaseing water security

Energy Security
a)explain why oil security in the areas shown could lead to high economic and environmental costs.
b)assess the relative importance of named players in the global supply of energy.

sorry there's no resources or MS but i'm not too sure how to load them up through pdf ect.

We went through Jan 2010 Energy Security in class and my teachers said that when any questions mention key players ALWAYS include the consumers because they are the players that are always left out according to the examiners report yet they play a key role in demanding supply from TNCs/Government companies/trade blocs ect.

Hope this helps!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 128
Looking at the last Q about futures anybody got any other ideas for this essay plan?

To what extent will tourism play a part in morocco's future development?

Big role - Technological leapfrogging. Foregin investment= better infastructure. Good travel routes, could become global hub. Re investment into social reform.

Limiting role - Over estimate capacity (Taghazout closed) Plan azur and foregin investment is neo colonialism, leaking economy and high dependancy rates. Not environmentally sustainable. (Compare to Masai Mara)

Any other points ? thanks
Reply 129
Is there no chance of attaching either?
Sorry to be a pain but its that desperate...:frown:
If its not too long then maybe its small enough to be attached, there should be a paper clip when you reply to the message with quote :frown:

I've nearly finished making a pack of spider diagrams on key words :smile: you can have it once I'm done x
Reply 130
Here's a question...

How is the development gap being closed?

These are all I can think of right now:

Top down approaches -->
debt cancellation
improving prices for commodities such as oil
diversification of economies to tourism
plan azur (in a way)
FDI
trade liberalisation

Bottom up approaches -->
perhaps vision 2010's promotion of urban tourism (jobs) (not all money will go abroad)
fair trade

what are your ideas?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by englica
Here's a question...

Top down approaches -->
debt cancellation
plan azur (in a way)
FDI
trade liberalisation

Bottom up approaches -->
perhaps vision 2010's promotion of urban tourism (jobs) (not all money will go abroad)
fair trade

what are your ideas?

With Plan azur you could mention the Gardens of Mogador scheme + eco tourism.
Liberalising laws as well as trade. Consumerism. Growing middle class. Trade unions eg GAFTA union for the Med. Travel links.
Reply 132
Original post by ben05
With Plan azur you could mention the Gardens of Mogador scheme + eco tourism.
Liberalising laws as well as trade. Consumerism. Growing middle class. Trade unions eg GAFTA union for the Med. Travel links.

Thanks,

what is the gardens of mogador scheme?
Reply 133
Original post by englica
Thanks,

what is the gardens of mogador scheme?

"One of the more environmentally sustainable projects is Mogador. One of the green initiatives includes the establishment of a tree nursery containing 4,000 trees and 400,000 seedlings, to create food for the complex, thus showing an improved food security. They have also introduced a new species of grass in the area; this grass needs little water consumption, thus making a sustainable water future for the area. Moreover, the Gardens of Mogador filter is a project to recover and purify the wastewater from the city, this shows that Plan Azur is improving the lives of local people as well as boosting tourism."
Reply 134
Original post by ben05
"One of the more environmentally sustainable projects is Mogador. One of the green initiatives includes the establishment of a tree nursery containing 4,000 trees and 400,000 seedlings, to create food for the complex, thus showing an improved food security. They have also introduced a new species of grass in the area; this grass needs little water consumption, thus making a sustainable water future for the area. Moreover, the Gardens of Mogador filter is a project to recover and purify the wastewater from the city, this shows that Plan Azur is improving the lives of local people as well as boosting tourism."

Thanks! That looks like a quote, would you mind telling me where you got it from?
Reply 135
Original post by englica
Thanks! That looks like a quote, would you mind telling me where you got it from?

Myself haha, er i read it online i will try and have a look for you :smile:
Reply 136
Original post by ben05
Myself haha, er i read it online i will try and have a look for you :smile:

haha, ok, thanks :smile:
you sound like a textbook
Original post by englica
Here's a question...

Top down approaches -->
debt cancellation
plan azur (in a way)
FDI
trade liberalisation

Bottom up approaches -->
fair trade

what are your ideas?

Hey would you be able to explain trade liberalisation in relation to the Maghreb? would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

And if you guys want I have a presentation for reasons of the development gap, you may already know about it but I just love sharing :biggrin: lol
Reply 138
Hey would you be able to explain trade liberalisation in relation to the Maghreb? would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

And if you guys want I have a presentation for reasons of the development gap, you may already know about it but I just love sharing :biggrin: lol

Trade liberalisation, or free trade, enables the Maghreb to trade with more countries, thus widening their market. It should help expand the economies and make them stronger. By joining certain trade blocks and organisations the Maghreb is able to do this. Eg. Morocco wants to join the EU.

Of course, there are also downsides to trade liberalisation. Many of the larger countries will have TNCs that the smaller Maghreb countries simply cannot compete with.

Hope this helps!
Reply 139

Thanks in advance.

That presentation would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending