The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Cornerstone
Nah, I'm not one for any romance films, I only watch 500 days of Summer to see what the hype was about (and I also had nothing to do lol).

But if it is the same as 500 days of Summer then it might be worth watching it.

I think I kinda love Zooey deschanel as a quirky happy go lucky girl Indie films, yeahh
Nah, I'm not one for any romance films, I only watch 500 days of Summer to see what the hype was about (and I also had nothing to do lol).

Sorry to break into the convo here but lol no Eternal Sunshine isn't really anywhere like "the same" 500 Days Of Summer, it's ... a trippy, deep romance a bit like Vanilla Sky if you've seen that but not really ... just to prepare you of course :tongue:

Sorry if that sounded a bit...jumpy lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
No Catch Me If You Can? :holmes:

Good spot there :wink:
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Sorry to break into the convo here but lol no Eternal Sunshine is nothing like 500 Days Of Summer, it's ... a trippy, deep romance a bit like Vanilla Sky if you've seen that but not really ...

I haven't seen that either lol, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to Romance films and only watched 500 days of Summer to see what the hype was all about.
I haven't seen that either lol, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to Romance films and only watched 500 days of Summer to see what the hype was all about.

Ya like it?

I was really surprised when I saw it, I thought it would be another remake of whatever they're going to call it next (all those films that have at least one of Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson, etc in them)...

It's the same in the sense that's it's not your usual romance. But not the same as 500 Days of Summer. It's a science fiction film with elements from a romance, or it could be the other way around. It's really clever, and if you dislike romance in general, you may not necessarily dislike this.

Amelie is another one. Would really recommend them.

My favourite scene in 500 Days of Summer is easily the reality vs expectations scene. That was brilliant.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Ya like it?

I was really surprised when I saw it, I thought it would be another remake of whatever they're going to call it next (all those films that have at least one of Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Aniston, Owen Wilson, etc in them)...

Yeah I did like it, one of the few romance films that I enjoyed.

It's the same in the sense that's it's not your usual romance. But not the same as 500 Days of Summer. It's a science fiction film with elements from a romance, or it could be the other way around. It's really clever, and if you dislike romance in general, you may not necessarily dislike this.

Amelie is another one. Would really recommend them.

My favourite scene in 500 Days of Summer is easily the reality vs expectations scene. That was brilliant.

I loved that seen as well, it was unusual and I really liked that the film didn't end in some sort of magical ending where Summer suddenly divorces her husband and ends in the arms of the protagonist (like it usually ends)

I wanted to watch amelie since I liked the other films of Jean Pierre Jeunet.
Reply 2187

No Catch Me If You Can? :holmes:

Watched Catch Me If You Can and Shutter Island today. :pierre:

At this rate, Leo will (Di)Capitulate and sire his DiCapulets with me. :ahee:
Reply 2188
I haven't watched this myself but I figure it's worth a post. Apologies if it's already been posted.

Ape Gone Insane

Phalanges

Figured I would ask you two in here. Are The Dark Tower books worth reading? I was planning on spending my summer reading Infinite Jest but considering I've been reading some fairly challenging classics (and some which were very dry and very boring) for a good few months, I want something that's not easier but at least something that is fairly epic in scale with a good fantasy story. Does Dark Tower fulfil this? :p:

Edit: Infinite Jest is fairly new but I want to give my mind a rest... :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm finally back in England! :awesome:

I can't wait to see a film in the cinema in English! Arghghghgh!
**** it, I'll buy the first one. :awesome:

I really like The Shining and The Stand from King so I'll probably enjoy this.
Original post by mimimimi

Original post by mimimimi
I'm finally back in England! :awesome:

I can't wait to see a film in the cinema in English! Arghghghgh!

Awesome! :woo:

better change your current location then :colonhash:
Original post by MizzCupcakes

Good point! I'm only in England for 18 days, but I may as well :tongue: Should probably do it on Facebook too... Woo!

Oh and back on topic - I watched The Running Man on TV last night... I really didn't get into it at all. Am I just missing something or does everyone else think it's crap too?
Original post by MizzCupcakes

Speaking of which, how's that bosom working out for you?
Original post by Jace Falco

Speaking of which, how's that bosom working out for you?

Perfectly! :daydreaming:
Watched Attack the Block with slightly high expectations so was a leetle bit dissappointed, but it was still a decent fun movie.

Saw Daniel Craig on the front of Empire magazine for Cowboys and Aliens. Really excited for that :biggrin:
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Watched Attack the Block with slightly high expectations so was a leetle bit dissappointed, but it was still a decent fun movie.

Where did you watch it? It's already stopped showing at my usual cinema :sigh:
I see, I see. I didn't like her story initially, but I like how it came together in the end. You just need to get through The Wastelands now. Seriously awesome book. Has it changed your view on the best way to adapt it to the screen? First book a film, and the second book a TV series? But you would only get around 6 episodes out of the second book.

One interesting idea I had was that of an episodic film for the second book. I don't really think it flows particularly well from one section to the next at all, and I think if you tried to shoot it as a film then it would become very disjointed and awkward to watch. I don't think moving to TV is necessarily a good idea either though, as it's completely different skills because of the different size of the finished product so you're either going to end up with a different crew and a lack of continuity or an inferior TV show.

With an episodic film you'd chop it up into three sections, release them over the course of a year, make them fairly short (~1 hour) and sell tickets a little bit cheaper. In the past this business model would have been pretty unworkable because the limiting factor on cost was always the hefty price of a reel, but with the move to digital projection (and so you only need the film on a CD) I see no real reason why this couldn't be done in the future.

Original post by Madjackismad
Figured I would ask you two in here. Are The Dark Tower books worth reading? I was planning on spending my summer reading Infinite Jest but considering I've been reading some fairly challenging classics (and some which were very dry and very boring) for a good few months, I want something that's not easier but at least something that is fairly epic in scale with a good fantasy story. Does Dark Tower fulfil this? :p:

Edit: Infinite Jest is fairly new but I want to give my mind a rest... :sigh:

Yeah, I'd say give them a shot.
Where did you watch it? It's already stopped showing at my usual cinema :sigh:

Vue in Shepherd's Bush, London. But it was about a week ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending