The Student Room Group

Why is everyone in American TV so good looking?

I was watching 90210 and i started to realise that there wasn't a single ugly person in sight. Literally there was not a single girl or guy (no homo) sub-8 and most were >9. I've never noticed the same thing with tv shows over here. Why are American TV show producers obsessed with looks over all else, when we aren't?

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
because if there was, no one would watch it
Reply 2
Original post by Lewii0701
because if there was, no one would watch it

if there was what?
Reply 3
Original post by MC armani
if there was what?

ugly people :tongue:
That girl's alright but she looks just like any typical girl on Hollyoaks.
Original post by bittersweet.poetry

Exactly.
Reply 6
Original post by Extended Arpeggio
Exactly.

:lolwut:

I don't watch hollyoaks, so tell me if this isn't the actual cast, but they're not that good looking

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by bittersweet.poetry

lol, you're kidding right?

Reply 8
TV has to feature people who aren't average, otherwise you wouldn't watch it.
Reply 9
Original post by dynamo_1234
TV has to feature people who aren't average, otherwise you wouldn't watch it.

Yeh but it seems that being good looking is not a requirement for the majority of shows over here (take Miss Marple for instance). But it seems that tv shows in America always seek out really good-looking people regardless of the genre.
Yeh but it seems that being good looking is not a requirement for the majority of shows over here (take Miss Marple for instance). But it seems that tv shows in America always seek out really good-looking people regardless of the genre.

You're correct in a lot of the things you said.

However, the top 4 attractions in American Cable TV at the moment are the NBA, WWE RAW (professional wrestling), Spongebob Squarepants and Deadliest Catch.

I think you'll agree with me if I say none of those show's main attraction is the aesthetic beauty of the particpants.

Here are the main attractions of each of those shows, not exactly pretty people:

NBA:

WWE RAW:

Deadliest Catch:

Reply 11
Are you insane ? Carley Stenson (blonde on the right in case you don't know) is fooking gorgeous !
She's alright bit generic though

I know what you mean though, American shows do have good looking casts

Well there are 313 million people in the US compared to only 70 million in the UK. Of those 313 million people, there will be a bigger pool of attractive people TV producers can choose from.

I'm glad British TV isn't as competitive as US TV. If there are attractive people on British TV, they will be 'girl next door' attractive or 'homely' attractive not Kim Kardashian attractive...

It's also about culture. If you put some American celebrities on British TV, we wouldn't 'click' with them. A lot of it has to do with can the general British population 'connect' with the presenter on a non intimidating level.

British TV is also a notch or two higher in its standards than US TV I find. Just look at all the reality shows on US TV that focus only on shallow vein attractive people on MTV...
(edited 9 years ago)
Also I heard something about why American TV shows are generally nicer while British TV shows are always chavs screaming at each other.

Americans like to have something to aspire to, British people like to have something to look down on.
They always have such nice sets too, even supposed 'poor' characters live in bohemian looking palaces.

I do agree though, even supposed ugly characters are beautiful
They're not, some are some aren't.
90210 was so good, my poor teenage heart couldn't handle Dixon and Silver's relationship. Too bad the show got cancelled though.
Anyway, you're right. I watch a lot of American TV and they're mostly really good looking, I cry.
(edited 9 years ago)
:lolwut:

I don't watch hollyoaks, so tell me if this isn't the actual cast, but they're not that good looking

The girl on the right looks gorgeous, in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest