Reply 181
Advanced Higher Maths
Advanced Higher Chemistry

and one of:

Higher Physics
Higher Business Management
Higher Modern Studies
Advanced Higher Biology
All higher: English, Media Studies, German, Information Systems and Psychology.
All higher: English, German and Economics.

My school is so bad for advanced highers it's a joke. I did one(Maths) in 5th year having done the higher in 4th and the int.2 in 2nd, but they don't run any other decent AHs.

So I'm gonna leave school with like 7 highers and just one Advanced Higher.
AH chemistry
AH biology
AH maths
and I feel like such a geek for saying it but I cant wait for my highers to be over and to go back to school and start :biggrin:
Reply 185
Original post by akalasa
AH Maths
AH Biology
AH Chemistry
AH Physics

I'm actually looking forward to doing these subjects (I'm a massive geek :P)

I was going to do this but I dropped Biology because the workload is a bit high. I strongly recommend against this.
Reply 186
Original post by Denver Broncos fan

My school is so bad for advanced highers it's a joke. I did one(Maths) in 5th year having done the higher in 4th and the int.2 in 2nd, but they don't run any other decent AHs.

Oh, woe is you.
Reply 187
Original post by davidmarsh01
I was going to do this but I dropped Biology because the workload is a bit high. I strongly recommend against this.

Okay, thanks for the advice, but I'll see how it goes before I drop anything :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by akalasa
Okay, thanks for the advice, but I'll see how it goes before I drop anything :smile:

Yeah, that's what I did, what's your school saying about it?
Reply 189
Yeah, that's what I did, what's your school saying about it?

Well, most teachers have been surprised and told me it's a big work load, but they've all been quite supportive of it actually, saying that they think I could manage it. I'm under no illusions though - I know it's a lot of work and there's quite a high chance that I'll drop one of them. It would be nice to keep all of them and get the qualifications, but if not it's not a huge problem :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by akalasa
Well, most teachers have been surprised and told me it's a big work load, but they've all been quite supportive of it actually, saying that they think I could manage it. I'm under no illusions though - I know it's a lot of work and there's quite a high chance that I'll drop one of them. It would be nice to keep all of them and get the qualifications, but if not it's not a huge problem :smile:

I'm guessing you're one of, if not the brightest in the year then? Also, what type of school do you go to?

I was the dux, and I was told not to do it, and I'm glad I didn't. The investigations would have been crazy, and as it was I found myself ignoring maths a bit because I was doing my two investigations, I shudder to think what 3 would have been like.
Reply 191
I'm guessing you're one of, if not the brightest in the year then? Also, what type of school do you go to?

I was the dux, and I was told not to do it, and I'm glad I didn't. The investigations would have been crazy, and as it was I found myself ignoring maths a bit because I was doing my two investigations, I shudder to think what 3 would have been like.

Yeah, I'm quite bright (predicted 5A's), possibly the brightest in maths and sciences in my year (maybe) but I'm useless at most other subjects :L
I just go to a normal school - no private education or anything like that :P

Yeah, I know the investigations will be difficult. I'll just try and get them started and finished with quickly and see how it goes and hope for the best :smile:
Reply 192
Original post by akalasa
Yeah, I'm quite bright (predicted 5A's), possibly the brightest in maths and sciences in my year (maybe) but I'm useless at most other subjects :L
I just go to a normal school - no private education or anything like that :P

Yeah, I know the investigations will be difficult. I'll just try and get them started and finished with quickly and see how it goes and hope for the best :smile:

You sound exactly like me this time last year. Are you doing Higher Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (I did Human because it's all my school offered) and English by any chance?

Where are you thinking of applying to for university? I know you might want to do the fourth AH, but it's not necessary for university anyway, nowhere in Scotland would hold you to 4 AHs, and I doubt any university (even Oxbridge :p: ) would either. So if that's the reason you're thinking about doing 4 then it's not worth it in that sense.

If you want to do them all out of interest, then go ahead, but be aware that the fourth AH might affect your grade in the other 3. After all, I'd rather have AAA than AABB. Also, subjects can change quite a bit from Higher to AH, and you may not find them as interesting. I found AH Biology tedious, that and the fact it's probably the least respected AH out of the sciences is the reason I chose to drop that one.

And remember, it doesn't always have to be insanely hard! 3 AHs will test you, and I can say this as someone who was pretty much in exactly the same position as you, and 3 is more than enough.
Reply 193
You sound exactly like me this time last year. Are you doing Higher Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (I did Human because it's all my school offered) and English by any chance?

Where are you thinking of applying to for university? I know you might want to do the fourth AH, but it's not necessary for university anyway, nowhere in Scotland would hold you to 4 AHs, and I doubt any university (even Oxbridge :p: ) would either. So if that's the reason you're thinking about doing 4 then it's not worth it in that sense.

If you want to do them all out of interest, then go ahead, but be aware that the fourth AH might affect your grade in the other 3. After all, I'd rather have AAA than AABB. Also, subjects can change quite a bit from Higher to AH, and you may not find them as interesting. I found AH Biology tedious, that and the fact it's probably the least respected AH out of the sciences is the reason I chose to drop that one.

And remember, it doesn't always have to be insanely hard! 3 AHs will test you, and I can say this as someone who was pretty much in exactly the same position as you, and 3 is more than enough.

Yep, doing those exact subjects (even the human biology).

Thinking of medicine and applying to scottish med schools, or biomedical sciences and applying to imperial or oxbridge. It's also out of interest, and if I feel that my grades are affected because of the amount of work I have to do, I'll easily drop one (probably physics), but until then I'll just try and do as well as I can. Never know, could get 4A's...maybe! :P

Thanks for the advice - it's good to hear from someone who has attempted this. It's all been noted, but I'll still try my best with the 4AHs, but I know it will be difficult :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Denver Broncos fan

I left school with 7 highers :dontknow:, I was doing AH English until I realised I didn't want to do English anymore and I already had an A at Higher so meh.
Reply 195
AH modern studies
AH English
H psychology (crash)
H history (crash)
Reply 196
Higher maths and economics
AH Maths, Physics + Chemistry :biggrin:
and maybe AH Music, don't know.

Don't know if anyone's said yet, but this thread has been done about 42.7932874 times this year :P
AH maths and biology, and higher art :smile:
AH art, english, music and H history. :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending