The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by Amy Luo
Anyone worrying about not meeting the grades?
I'm :frown:
very worried................................S:

Damn straight, I slap myself on the wrist each time I type something Cambridge related in to the internet explorer for putting my hopes up. Anyone who isn't worrying has either had a frontal lobotomy or should have applied to Oxford :smile:
Reply 1741
Original post by Oxmatt
Damn straight, I slap myself on the wrist each time I type something Cambridge related in to the internet explorer for putting my hopes up. Anyone who isn't worrying has either had a frontal lobotomy or should have applied to Oxford :smile:

Frontal lobotomy? That's a bit much... :P
Reply 1742
Original post by Cast.Iron
The thought horrifies me. I am quietly confident about the exams which I only need an A in but that A* is just so unpredictable.

Im actually worrying about my A rather than A* because I didn't get a high A in As and all my A2 exams are coming at once:frown: if I don't get it I'll lose my insurance too.
Finger crossed.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
3 weeks. Cramming like hell!

Had a flick through that and it seems pretty helpful. Got to love good ole' tutor2u.

Thanks for that!

Good to know that I'm not the only one that's ever worried about missing the A!

Ah, so History is what's worrying you? When's your exam?
Wait...your offer specifies what the B must be in? :s-smilie:

I quite like the way the A* works! I scraped an A in Eng Lit last year, but since I got 100% in my A2 coursework, I only need 83% to get an A*. :smug:

I intend to rape the Economics exam but there's so much to learn! :bawling:

Can I ask what Eng Lit boards you're doing?

My teacher seems to think even if you get 100% in cw you still need 90%+ in the exam to get an A* but I thought it was averaged over the 2 units... or does that not apply for cw?

It still wouldn't make a difference because my A* is specified for French but any ray of hope is needed :frown:
Original post by UnderControl
Can I ask what Eng Lit boards you're doing?

My teacher seems to think even if you get 100% in cw you still need 90%+ in the exam to get an A* but I thought it was averaged over the 2 units... or does that not apply for cw?

It still wouldn't make a difference because my A* is specified for French but any ray of hope is needed :frown:

I'm on Edexcel. It's averaged over the two units, same as the A* for virtually all other subjects. Your teacher is wrong!
I am really worried for the STEP III, it could go either way but I feel confident that I can get the grades :biggrin:
Original post by ArchedEdge
Oh Homerton have a required spending amount of £150 a term in the hall canteen I think, so vaguely similar :yep:

That's the one :smile:.

Original post by Doughnuts!!
Ah, so History is what's worrying you? When's your exam?
Wait...your offer specifies what the B must be in? :s-smilie:

I quite like the way the A* works! I scraped an A in Eng Lit last year, but since I got 100% in my A2 coursework, I only need 83% to get an A*. :smug:

I intend to rape the Economics exam but there's so much to learn! :bawling:

History, which is next Friday, is not worrying me as much as Politics. I feel about Politics how you feel about Economics, just so much to learn!

Yep, it specifies English Language as the B.

Ah, it works out at 83%? That's good, I just rounded it to 85% because I'm awful at maths :biggrin:.
Reply 1747
Im kinda worried about getting that A* too - im hoping for it in either maths or chemistry but in some past papers im often a few marks off still. gulp. so much depends on the paper!
Original post by beanie55
Im kinda worried about getting that A* too - im hoping for it in either maths or chemistry but in some past papers im often a few marks off still. gulp. so much depends on the paper!

Yeah, the papers are so variable!

I have to get an A* specifically in Chemistry - FML. It's the hardest one as well!
Reply 1749
Original post by timsquirrell
Yeah, the papers are so variable!

I have to get an A* specifically in Chemistry - FML. It's the hardest one as well!

The good thing in a way is that grade boundaries tend to be low due to the difficulty of the papers. - don't worry, I'm sure you will be fine :smile:
Have you done any past papers yet? If so, what kind of marks are you getting on those?
Original post by kpatb
The good thing in a way is that grade boundaries tend to be low due to the difficulty of the papers. - don't worry, I'm sure you will be fine :smile:
Have you done any past papers yet? If so, what kind of marks are you getting on those?

Well I got full UMS in Unit 4, but I still have papers 5 and 6 to do, and the latter one I've done two out of the three past papers and got just above an A on the first, then full UMS on the second, so I'm really worried that the second was just a fluke :/

There's just so many chances for stuff to come up which isn't in the textbook - for example, they asked us to draw a Buchner flask in one, which I've never seen in my life before!
Is there any1 here holding offer from Downing college Cambridge???

More precisely,
Downing College, Natural Science ???
:smile:
Original post by dawaj2004
Is there any1 here holding offer from Downing college Cambridge???

More precisely,
Downing College, Natural Science ???
:smile:

There are a few :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29338647
Reply 1753
Original post by beanie55

Have you checked the UMS mark conversion, i.e. for phsyics, 70% is an A. You might be closer to the 90 UMS marks than you think...
http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

Does anyone know if your allowed to use peer 2 peer software such as uTorrent in colleges?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello, can one of you lovely people tell me when we actually move in? My course starts 1st Oct, is there freshers before that? It's St John's if that makes a difference :dontknow:
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Hello, can one of you lovely people tell me when we actually move in? My course starts 1st Oct, is there freshers before that? It's St John's if that makes a difference :dontknow:

October 1st is a Saturday... all the freshers will arrive on the Friday (the 30th Sept) (Johns did this year), the Saturday, or very possibly the Sunday.

Lectures will start the Thursday after this (the 6th)... you don't really get a fresher's week! You may be set work before lectures start, but this is pretty unlikely.

Cambridge weeks start on Thursday oddly enough, so week 1 starts the 6th, etc... It's an odd system :tongue:
Reply 1756
Original post by Topaz_eyes
October 1st is a Saturday... all the freshers will arrive on the Friday (the 30th Sept) (Johns did this year), the Saturday, or very possibly the Sunday.

Lectures will start the Thursday after this (the 6th)... you don't really get a fresher's week! You may be set work before lectures start, but this is pretty unlikely.

Cambridge weeks start on Thursday oddly enough, so week 1 starts the 6th, etc... It's an odd system :tongue:

Why isn't there a freshers week?

Do you know if there's any possibility of moving in any earlier if we're from overseas?
Original post by Jacke02
Why isn't there a freshers week?

There's a fresher's half week... it's Cambridge... they just don't do a full one. We do get May Week (in June, lasts 10 days -_-) at the end of Easter term, which is very similar I think :biggrin:

Original post by timsquirrell
Do you know if there's any possibility of moving in any earlier if we're from overseas?

Yep, international students normally come earlier - about the Wednesday before I think, but don't quote me on that! Your college will be in touch and they tend to be very flexible :smile:
Reply 1759
There's a fresher's half week... it's Cambridge... they just don't do a full one. We do get May Week (in June, lasts 10 days -_-) at the end of Easter term, which is very similar I think :biggrin:

Yep, international students normally come earlier - about the Wednesday before I think, but don't quote me on that! Your college will be in touch and they tend to be very flexible :smile:

Ooh cool, and for that person I got a letter from corpus saying that oversees students can arrive early, probably the same for all other colleges. Is May week after exams in June (isn't it in may)? It sounds good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending