The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
He had a bit of a dodgy year last year didn't he :erm:

Strikes me as extremely selfish and narrow minded. Redknapp is probably planning to take the England job at the end of the season, the same length of time Friedel will be able to play (you lot better hope as no.2). Spend nothing on Brad and you've got a bit extra to spend elsewhere, who cares about the future eh 'Arry, you won't even be there!

Could be as a backup to replace Cudicini (if he's going anywhere) though, and another keeper will be brought in to replace Gomes. I think if you go into next season with Gomes and Brad then Gomes will emerge as no.1, he's a better keeper imo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride
But he's forty! It's exactly the same as having David Beckham as a regular starter. A good player still now, but **** all long-term investment value. We'll be buying another keeper in January ffs, or even before September. I mean what does Friedel actually offer than baldness and a few months of semi-safe keeping?

jeez, get a grip.

He's better than the other ****ters you have in Gomes and Cudicini, and it was on a free. What's the big deal
Original post by Louis.
He had a bit of a dodgy year last year didn't he :erm:

Strikes me as extremely selfish and narrow minded. Redknapp is probably planning to take the England job at the end of the season, the same length of time Friedel will be able to play (you lot better hope as no.2). Spend nothing on Brad and you've got a bit extra to spend elsewhere, who cares about the future eh 'Arry, you won't even be there!

Could be as a backup to replace Cudicini (if he's going anywhere) though, and another keeper will be brought in to replace Gomes. I think if you go into next season with Gomes and Brad then Gomes will emerge as no.1, he's a better keeper imo.

I hope to God the FA appoint Redknapp as England manager. But knowing the FA, they won't and will look elsewhere, look for a 'yes man' which Redders isn't.
Reply 583
Nothing suprises me with arry.

He was offered first team footy which is why he turned us down, so Gomez must be on his way which is a shame. His CL errors probably sealed his fate.
Original post by L18
Nothing suprises me with arry.

He was offered first team footy which is why he turned us down, so Gomez must be on his way which is a shame. His CL errors probably sealed his fate.

Bit unfair to scapegoat Gomes wrt to the CL campaign. He did pull off some cracking saves besides the odd howler or two.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
He's 40 but he's better than Gomes. VDS is 39 or 40, whatever it is, and he could have played on for another 2-3 years for Man United IMO.

Age is (sometimes) just a number.

A footballer's age isn't just a number when it's 40. I mean Peter Shilton managed to make a few appearances at Leyton aged about 47 but even then he was desperate to get to 1000 games.

We should have snapped up Shay Given at the very least.
(edited 12 years ago)
He's 40 but he's better than Gomes. VDS is 39 or 40, whatever it is, and he could have played on for another 2-3 years for Man United IMO.

Age is (sometimes) just a number.
They always talk about the goalkeeping cliff though, being at the age of 40. Most keepers retire there even if they feel okay to play, Friedel is just playing to earn more money because he's broke. Past 40 keepers tend to drop of a cliff, and become absolutely rubbish. As I said not a smart long term investment, and I don't think he has ever been good enough for Tottenham's ambitions. Should have moved for Steklenburg, try and do a swap deal with someone.
Original post by doggyfizzel
They always talk about the goalkeeping cliff though, being at the age of 40. Most keepers retire there even if they feel okay to play, Friedel is just playing to earn more money because he's broke. Past 40 keepers tend to drop of a cliff, and become absolutely rubbish. As I said not a smart long term investment, and I don't think he has ever been good enough for Tottenham's ambitions. Should have moved for Steklenburg, try and do a swap deal with someone.

How do you know he's broke?

I can't imagine his recent-ish autobiography sold well. More boring than watching Manchester City play, which is saying something!
Reply 588
Bit unfair to scapegoat Gomes wrt to the CL campaign. He did pull off some cracking saves besides the odd howler or two.

I'm not scapegoating him, but I imagine the mistakes in very important games made harry have a second thought.

He'd be perfect for Villa actually.
Reply 589

I can't imagine his recent-ish autobiography sold well. More boring than watching Manchester City play, which is saying something!

He went bankrupt a while ago didn't he?

Had to declare bankruptcy due to debts his academy had built up, £5m or something, I don't think he is actually broke, but he's had to sell property and stuff.
A Premier League footballer with no money, now there's something..
Hmmm. :erm:

Can see this causing consistency issues within the defence.. Whoever said two hlf number ones was bang on imo.

Meanwhile, at the t'other end of pitch, 12 mill bid for leandro rejected, :drool:
Reply 593
Suprised you lot aren't after berbatov tbh
More boring than watching Manchester City play, which is saying something!

Must be boring watching a team in complete control.
Original post by L18
Suprised you lot aren't after berbatov tbh

Berba + cash for Modric.

They are Utd's feeder club tbfh.
Carrick. Berbatov. combined value of 48 million apparently :teehee:
Not on your ****ing life.
Reply 598
I've thought Berba going to you would make sense for ages, but I wonder if he's the wrong style of striker. When you consider the service Bale and Lennon can provide from the wings, and indeed how intelligent VDV's passing game is (hasn't been that evident this season because of what's in front of him), a striker with good, sharp movement who's good at getting ahead of defenders would be a better alternative. Berba isn't quite that player. You get the sense Crouch can't always keep up with the speedy build up on the wings, Berba might be the same. I know Defoe fits part of that description but he has had a bad season, not the calibre of player you need even at his best anyway. Essentially you want a better version of Darren Bent.

Ideally you'd have someone who can bring VDV into the game as well, asking a lot of one player but it's what you need to make the next step. The Leandro Damiao rumours could work, I don't think he's a typical Brazilian striker, more of a physical presence and more aerial ability than you'd expect. Haven't seen too much of him though. I know Falcao is where the current hype is at but he'd be the right type of player, not sure you could get him without CL football though. Suarez could have worked. Not sure of other names really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well Harry seems to have copped out on the GK position, I think the ST is very very important. You will need a prolific striker if you are to get CL football next season which is important, as I think VDV, Bale, Modric?, and other top players are going to be looking at moves if you don't secure it.

Quick Reply

Latest