The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by Keoje
Decided to marathon Law of Ueki and gave up at ep4. Dual audio fail,no japanese audio. the voices from the dub are annoying the crap outta me .

where's my paracetamol :getmecoat:

will marathon kaiji instead...

I remember watching this. :biggrin: It was quite good, shame you can't find good copy of the episodes. :frown:

Original post by whitepearlbaby
Hmm, I'm not really "bonding" with the Gintama characters so I'm not really watching it with a lot of interest, even though it is sort of funny... On ep. 7 now I think, does it get better? Maybe a bit more emotional and more background story or something :colone: ?

Aw. Well the episodes are pretty much very one-shot like. Looking at the episodes list, ep 9 might be more interesting, as they introduce the Shinsengumi. :biggrin:
The mini arcs doesn't seem to start until eps 30+ . XD A long way from where you are. :colondollar:
Reply 1001
Is anyone here watching AnoHana?

I gave it a go seeings as everyone seems to be raving about it, but I don't know what to think of it. Strangely I felt slightly pissed off when watching a bit. While I like melodrama every now and then, in AnoHana it feels like it's being melodramatic for the sake of it with the entire 'cute dead girl' thing. While a good story will manipulate you into feeling different kinds of emotion, it just feels too obvious here.

I think I'm just gonna save myself a load of time and heartache and not continue.
Original post by Susant
Is anyone here watching AnoHana?

I gave it a go seeings as everyone seems to be raving about it, but I don't know what to think of it. Strangely I felt slightly pissed off when watching a bit. While I like melodrama every now and then, in AnoHana it feels like it's being melodramatic for the sake of it with the entire 'cute dead girl' thing. While a good story will manipulate you into feeling different kinds of emotion, it just feels too obvious here.

I think I'm just gonna save myself a load of time and heartache and not continue.

Yeah, I watched the first 7 episodes...
Really? People do think it's over melodramatic and I do agree with them to an extent, but I have to admit, I like it... That being said, Menma DOES annoy me but I do like the other characters and it can be touching at times. I do understand what you mean about how it manipulates you actually, but I'm still interested in the other characters... Eh I know what you mean but as I think it's gonna be short I'll just watch the rest ^_^
Why is Anime-Planet down? :bawling: My sig looks silly now! They'd better be making some awesome improvements or something, like the return of stalker vision the friend activity thing. That's been way longer than they said it would be, though I suppose it's better to have it late and working than on time but full of bugs.
Aha, so this is where the animus is at! I was having trouble navigating TSR. Which still stands for 'The Second Raid' as far as I'm concerned.

Had a dream last week that I saw a generic loli poster and got in trouble with my mum for swearing at Rie Kugimiya under my breath. I'm sure she's good, but I prefer people with a bit more range. :P Having said that, I can usually look at a cast shot and guess the Miki Shin'ichiro character straight off, so.

I stalled La Corda d'Oro, but it was pretty fun! That one pale-haired kid is pretty much the exact double of Noel from So-Ra-No-Wo-To. I guess he was more of an archetype than I realised initially.

- Pips
Reply 1005
Yesterday was certainly a day of two anime :laugh:

First was Red Garden...which was truely awful. Managed to get through a couple of episodes as a trial of endurance but couldn't bring myself to watch any more. Watched the dubbed version as was watching with J, but don't think I would have enjoyed the subbed version any more. It was trying to be mysterious...but ended up predictable and boring (well so far...maybe there was a twist...but I really don't think it would have improved it for me), the characters were bland & mostly irritating, the animation style was...ok but not great and what the **** was with the singing?

The 2nd anime was the regular showing of fractale at animoo (episodes 7-8 this week I think). Fractale is proving to be one of my favourite series...ever & provided it finishes well next week the pacing has been excellent :yep: I love the story, the characters & the art style and how in the space of one episode it can be really emotive & serious, and also light-hearted & funny :cute: makes me happy
Original post by skipp
Red Garden... awful.

Fractale... excellent.

Maybe the heat is playing tricks with my mind, but did I read that correctly? :wtf: I thought the characters and plot for Red Garden were amazing, while Fractale was promoted as something new and different but felt like a rehashing of so many other anime series. I also found the pacing among the worst of any anime I've seen this year, personally. :s:
I'm definitely going to give Fractale a try, but I did think it sounded a bit ironic that the guy behind it is the one who wrote that book about otaku being 'database animals' and then seems to have come out with something that hits a bunch of trope buttons. I could be wrong, but I'm going to have to laugh at the guy if it isn't a completely unique and special petal of an anime.

I wouldn't be as interested if I hadn't heard about the book and it wasn't from noitaminA. :P Also, AJ said it seemed to be trying to give off a Nadia vibe! That must be interesting at the very least. :wink:

- Pips
Reply 1008
I know bad pacing and fractale wasnt it :indiff: stuff happened people did things or did their kind of every day things and it wasnt boring. You want bad pacing watch early shipuudden.:yucky:
Reply 1009
Original post by skipp
Yesterday was certainly a day of two anime :laugh:

First was Red Garden...which was truely awful. Managed to get through a couple of episodes as a trial of endurance but couldn't bring myself to watch any more. Watched the dubbed version as was watching with J, but don't think I would have enjoyed the subbed version any more. It was trying to be mysterious...but ended up predictable and boring (well so far...maybe there was a twist...but I really don't think it would have improved it for me), the characters were bland & mostly irritating, the animation style was...ok but not great and what the **** was with the singing?

The 2nd anime was the regular showing of fractale at animoo (episodes 7-8 this week I think). Fractale is proving to be one of my favourite series...ever & provided it finishes well next week the pacing has been excellent :yep: I love the story, the characters & the art style and how in the space of one episode it can be really emotive & serious, and also light-hearted & funny :cute: makes me happy

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Maybe the heat is playing tricks with my mind, but did I read that correctly? :wtf: I thought the characters and plot for Red Garden were amazing, while Fractale was promoted as something new and different but felt like a rehashing of so many other anime series. I also found the pacing among the worst of any anime I've seen this year, personally. :s:

Have to agree with AJ here - Red Garden was truly one of the better shows in its year, the character development and interesting plot devices were wonderful and the animation in particular was fantastic (the girls wardrobes were so varied!). Fractale by contrast has to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year so far - the worst series noitaminA has ever produced IMO. It had so much potential, the first episode was stunning and stuffed full of interesting ideas; but it just completely failed to capitalise on its brilliant setting. Rather Fractale fell back onto cheap harem antics, pervert jokes and threw in stupid plot-twists for no real reason, all of which have been done far too many times before and much better by other anime.

vin
I know bad pacing and fractale wasnt it :indiff: stuff happened people did things or did their kind of every day things and it wasnt boring. You want bad pacing watch early shipuudden.:yucky:

Fractale had woeful pacing - it kept jumping about the place like a hyperactive 3 year old, and never settled into any kind of natural pace. It wasn't boring, but it was extremely poorly planned.

Early Shippuden had poor pacing for another reason - it was way too slow, dragging out things way too much and generally pissing the viewer off.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1010
Without needlessly reiterating AJ's and Cara's comments, I'll just say that I agree with everything they've put forth regarding both series.

Edit: As for me, manga is finally taking precedence over anime (the latter is primarily consisting of Lupin of late). I've decided to pick up some of the latest releases, namely Onwards Toward Our Noble Deaths and Lychee Hikari Club, both of which are proving interesting. I'm making use of my iPad to read both, which has definitely helped to enhance my enjoyment as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1011
Original post by Aiko

Edit: As for me, manga is finally taking precedence over anime

The same is similar for me. I seem to have hit a brick wall of watching anime (again). Reached the low viewing point of the cycle again. Few weeks ago I could watched a dozen episodes or so a day. Yesterday I managed two episodes of Dororon, and the day before two episodes of Tiger and Bunny (which is starting to be my favourite series this season).

I have been reading the dragon ball manga at a more steady pace, but a large amount of my relaxing time this week has been spent on just cause 2 :teehee:

Oh and what does manga look like on an ipad? I've heard people talk about manga on ereaders etc, and I've always been curious how it looks :colondollar:
Reply 1012
Original post by Truered
The same is similar for me. I seem to have hit a brick wall of watching anime (again). Reached the low viewing point of the cycle again. Few weeks ago I could watched a dozen episodes or so a day. Yesterday I managed two episodes of Dororon, and the day before two episodes of Tiger and Bunny (which is starting to be my favourite series this season).

In my case, my anime viewing hasn't decreased, per se, only that I'm reading manga in its stead. I'm remaining moderately up to date with the latest season. I suppose it's an expectancy that we'd have highs and lows in terms of our tenacity to watch regularly. I'm sure you'll regain your momentum sooner than later. :tongue:

As an aside, Tiger and Bunny is propping up in discussion a lot more lately, which would suggest that my decision to postpone the series until it finishes may require reconsideration. :yes:

I have been reading the dragon ball manga at a more steady pace, but a large amount of my relaxing time this week has been spent on just cause 2 :teehee:

How are you finding it? :smile:

Oh and what does manga look like on an ipad? I've heard people talk about manga on ereaders etc, and I've always been curious how it looks :colondollar:

Well, the iPad has a really nice screen, so the clarity of the image is crisp and detailed. The ease of zooming in, if need be, and dragging across the page, is useful, not to mention a simple swipe to view the next page. It's more convenience than necessity. I still like the novelty of holding a paperback. :smile:
Reading has taken precedence for me, at least for this one day, because of the stifling heat and its effect on my (soon to be retired) laptop. Even now the sun has gone down, and with all my windows open, it's too hot for my liking. :s: I've mostly been reading the Earthsea Quartet, which is the series of four stories (VERY loosely) adapted by Studio Ghibli in Tales from Earthsea. Needless to say I've been comparing the two as I keep reading, and I can already see why there was a lot of fury over this adaptation. If I'd watched the film after the book I'd probably have rated it far lower than I did, which is why I'm scared to go back and rewatch it now. :p: Think I'll leave my rating as it is though, and think of it as an unrelated film that happens to have characters with the same names. :giggle:

Also read Ashinano Hitoshi's PositioN, after it came up on A-P's random manga thing. I'd already read his most well known series, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, as a result of the OVAs catching my interest but being too short to satisfy me. :p: *resists urge to bump his rating for the OVA up, in hopes of getting it into the top 1000*. PositioN felt like more of the same; different characters, but an almost identical feel and style. Short but sweet at 7 chapters of ~12 pages in length. Definitely worth reading. :smile:

I've STILL got two one-shot manga from that time who knows how long ago when I decided to download an A-Z of one-shots. :o: Namely, Canaria Child and Love Lab. If this heat keeps up I'll have them read in no time too. :yes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1014
Reading has taken precedence for me, at least for this one day, because of the stifling heat and its effect on my (soon to be retired) laptop.

That's also another reason for my decrease. End up feeling my laptop/hearing fan and think "I better give it a break" :mmm:

I've taken to having it on its side, resting on a book on my bed so all of the fan areas are free :mmm: Seems to work, and is also preferable to burning my legs :borat:

Original post by Aiko

As an aside, Tiger and Bunny is propping up in discussion a lot more lately, which would suggest that my decision to postpone the series until it finishes may require reconsideration. :yes:

How are you finding it? :smile:

I still find some of the cgi on the characters in T&B to be a bit distracting, but I mainly like the show for the main character, who just can't get a break, but isn't angsty and always positive, even cheesirific at times :mmm:

Enjoying the manga so far, I'm still at the early adventure/red ribbon stages. Plenty of Bulma fanservice too :awesome: As I've said before I got the DB and DBZ boxsets for my birthday, so at 42 volumes it's the longest series I fully own :mmm:
Reply 1015
Not really watched much aside from one piece this week
Original post by caraniel
Fractale by contrast has to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year so far - the worst series noitaminA has ever produced IMO. It had so much potential, the first episode was stunning and stuffed full of interesting ideas; but it just completely failed to capitalise on its brilliant setting. Rather Fractale fell back onto cheap harem antics, pervert jokes and threw in stupid plot-twists for no real reason, all of which have been done far too many times before and much better by other anime.

Fractale had woeful pacing - it kept jumping about the place like a hyperactive 3 year old, and never settled into any kind of natural pace. It wasn't boring, but it was extremely poorly planned.

What series did everyone else watch.:erm: I posted my thoughts on this some weeks back and cant remember them too well :hmmmm: But I liked it. Many areas where there could be improvement as Ive mentioned before but i found the characters and their antics entertaining and for me it was a pleasant series to watch.:smile:
Reply 1016
:lolwut: sanji on this okama island... these people have such scary faces :s: ...Why are their heads so damn big!?:afraid:
Reply 1017
Original post by vin
:lolwut: sanji on this okama island... these people have such scary faces :s: ...Why are their heads so damn big!?:afraid:
:giggle:

Gotta love that part...poor Sanji :tongue:
Reply 1018
Hidan no Aria is typical of an action romance from J.C Staff, with all of its moe splendour, but equally is lacking an engaging script. The whole Butei element could be utilised far more than it is currently. In essence, everything is a bit too cliched for my liking, but I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything more from a series where the main character's alter ego is activated by sexual stimulus...
i want more Shippuuden :stomp: that was a good ep :puppyeyes:

Original post by Truered
I have to admit, while cute Denpa onna is a bit disappointing to me. I went into it not knowing what it was about, only relying on the preview synopsis and image. And (general series spoilers, up to around episode 4ish)

Spoiler

same here, was expecting a bit more but maybe theres some kind of twist in the end :beard:

Original post by caraniel
That ending made me so angry. I did not want Kirino in the alternate route - thought we had gotten rid of the bitch, her mere presence in the show manages to ruin it completely. I wanted a Kuroneko or Manami ending!! :mad2:

ah fair enough :p: i wouldnt have minded either way, im so easy to be pleased :p:

happy family ending yay :h: :getmecoat:

Managed to get History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi from a guy at Aberanime. :biggrin: I'm thinking of getting at least one more series (Nyan Koi?) before leaving Aber on Saturday, but TBH I think I've got enough anime to last me all summer even if watching it was all I did for those 3+ months, and that's not including all the other stuff I'll be downloading at home. :awesome:

kenichi woop woop woop woop :woo:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest