The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

I remember for the last Unit 4 exam, someone posted Sir George Monoux Biology qyestions + answers (which I found helpful), does anyone have them for this unit (5) please?
Reply 301
can some1 please attach AQA BIO5 jan 2010 and 2011 QP and MS please?

much appreciated :P
Reply 302
Original post by kingsmod1
can some1 please attach AQA BIO5 jan 2010 and 2011 QP and MS please?

much appreciated :P

There is no January papers !

AQA only put these papers out in July :frown:
Reply 303
Original post by Mazii
There is no January papers !

AQA only put these papers out in July :frown:

but some1 must hve them, they always do

can any1 help me on skpye on bio 5, there is so much to remember, yes u must practice but u need tyo remember basics too much lol
Reply 304
Original post by kingsmod1
but some1 must hve them, they always do

can any1 help me on skpye on bio 5, there is so much to remember, yes u must practice but u need tyo remember basics too much lol

Its not about not owning them; they dont make papers for Jan units. BIOL5 is only made for June exams. Its only for Chemistry that you get Unit5 papers in Jan. So theres only 2 papers for Biol5 you can practice with: the specimen one and June 10
Reply 305
is anyone else finding the homeostasis section quite hard?
i thought i would have found this section quite easy tbh, but going over past exam questions and stuff makes me realise how hard blood glucose control and temperature regualtion is.... :frown: is anyone else finding it difficult?
i cant seem to get my head around glycogenolysis, glucogenesis and gluconeogensis?!?! if those are even correct!! lol
eurghh this exam is going to be hell :frown:
Wahhh, sat down properly this morning to start revising this unit.. and there's blummin' 6 pages of the spec! SIX!! Thank god this is my last exam.. going to need all the time I can get.
Original post by emmaaa65
is anyone else finding the homeostasis section quite hard?
i thought i would have found this section quite easy tbh, but going over past exam questions and stuff makes me realise how hard blood glucose control and temperature regualtion is.... :frown: is anyone else finding it difficult?
i cant seem to get my head around glycogenolysis, glucogenesis and gluconeogensis?!?! if those are even correct!! lol
eurghh this exam is going to be hell :frown:

Are you using the nelson thornes book? Its pretty good for this topic :smile:

I did my notes for homeostasis on a powerpoint presentation, I can upload it if you want. It might not be of much help...

Remember:
Lysis is splitting
Genesis is formation (birth)
Neo is new
Glyco and gluco = glucose
Gluconeogenesis is the making( formation) of new (neo) glucose (gluco).
Glycogenoslysis is the splitting (lysis) of glyocgen.

Hope this hasn't made you more confused. But yeah, remembering the meaning of the terms seems to work for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 308
Original post by Eloades11
I have revised all the topics, although I cannot remember the lines and zones in the sarcomere. I know nothing about the menstrual cycle because I missed the 1 lesson we spent on it, and we have not been taught anything about cystic fibrosis :/

Going well so far!:redface:

The sacromere, here's how I remember it:

I-Band is the space inbetween the two myosin filaments.

Therefore the A-Band is the other, which is the myosin plus where it crosses over the actin.

And Cystic Fibrosis isn't too difficult. Its caused by a mutant recessive allele that codes for a ion channel protein. This causes the ion channel for chloride ions to not function correctly on the membranes of epithelial cells. Without the chloride ions diffusing out of the cells, water cannot follow, meaning the mucus outside the cell becomes thick and sticky.

It causes sperm ducts and pancreatic ducts to become blocked, and obviously breathing difficulties and increased risk of disease.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 309
Original post by INeedToRevise
Are you using the nelson thornes book? Its pretty good for this topic :smile:

I did my notes for homeostasis on a powerpoint presentation, I can upload it if you want. It might not be of much help...

Remember:
Lysis is splitting
Genesis is formation (birth)
Neo is new
Glyco and gluco = glucose
Gluconeogenesis is the making( formation) of new (neo) glucose (gluco).
Glycogenoslysis is the splitting (lysis) of glyocgen.

Hope this hasn't made you more confused. But yeah, remembering the meaning of the terms seems to work for me.

oh yes that would be brilliant if you can upload it! im usually alright with biology revision im just finding it hard to get my head around this topic, seeing as there is so much stuff to learn! :mad:
Reply 310
How does homeostasis and negative feedback control the level of glucose in the blood?

Spoiler

Reply 311
How does homeostasis and negative feedback regulate body temperature in endotherms?

Spoiler

Reply 312
hey im stuck on plants atm, basically i know nitrate are used to make proteins in plants with glucose. Yet if there is a lack of nitrates that means there is a lack of protein being made, so what happens to the glucose that cant be converted to protein?
Original post by danneh150
The sacromere, here's how I remember it:

I-Band is the space inbetween the two myosin filaments.

Therefore the A-Band is the other, which is the myosin plus where it crosses over the actin.

And Cystic Fibrosis isn't too difficult. Its caused by a mutant recessive allele that codes for a ion channel protein. This causes the ion channel for chloride ions to not function correctly on the membranes of epithelial cells. Without the chloride ions diffusing out of the cells, water cannot follow, meaning the mucus outside the cell becomes thick and sticky.

It causes sperm ducts and pancreatic ducts to become blocked, and obviously breathing difficulties and increased risk of disease.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot, and by assuming the sperm ducts have an increased risk of being blocked then there's an increased risk of infertility? :biggrin:
Anyone else nervous about the Synoptic essay?
Reply 315
I'm not looking forward to this exam in general. I need an A overall, and so need around a B in this paper. But it seems a mammoth task right now!
Original post by bethalex
i've barely done anything so far, feel really bad bout it:frown:, i'm kinda freaking out about the essay aswell, does anyone have a big list of mark schemes for all the different titles there has been, if so it would be really helpful to me, thank you:smile:

i don't think we got taught anything about cystic fibrosis either:/

I think Cystic Fibrosis was an example for a use of Gene Therapy rather than just learning about the actual condition.
Original post by (Online)
I'm not looking forward to this exam in general. I need an A overall, and so need around a B in this paper. But it seems a mammoth task right now!

You'll only need 60% in this exam to get an A, that works as some encouragement, but try not to think "Oh, well, I can get 60% and get an A, I don't need to revise as much as I thought!"

I have written 1 essay, and I got it marked at a C grade by my teacher. I haven't written an essay since -.- my teacher gave me no useful feedback and I don't know how to make it better, so why write another essay if it's just going to be the same as my last?

Does anyone object to me writing up my essay on here so I could receive some constructive criticism?
Going to start posting my exam-time condenced notes for people if they want them, probably will start later today or tomorrow :smile:.

I've covered about half of the syllabus and memorised it, how is everyone else doing? I hope to have everything more or less memorised by Wednesday so I can start doing past paper questions and essay practice for the last two weeks.
Made a load of A3 revision posters for this unit and chem 5. You realise how much there is to know when biology takes up 2 walls...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending