The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Any form of plastic bag would be good, and if there's a side of the house which is cooler then keep them in a cupboard over that side... its better than 27 degrees! Keep it outside overnight as well =)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
glad your LO is having a good time and that the flight went well.

No idea what's up with my fridge-freezer, it just isn't cold. 27 degrees in both the fridge and the freezer at the moment. I can't hear the motor running either. Everything just defrosted, I had to throw away tons of food. I noticed on Friday that it was warmer than it should be - it was -1 degrees in the freezer and 17 degrees in the fridge. I was really baffled. Then it just got warmer and warmer and warmer.

I've ordered a new one, I ordered it on Saturday, but so far it just says "in warehouse - dispatched soon". So it could be anybody's guess when it gets here.

Hahaha..... I must say after looking at your photo of the English brekkie I been craving for one........ yesterday morning I was asking around if there was anywhere that served a Full English breakfast anywhere in Zurich, turns out most places that do it only does it as brunch on a weekend and it doesn't use the same type of bacon or sausages :tongue: Thankfully can have my fix tomorrow, I was telling DW over the phone she better be making me a good one for tomorrow :biggrin:

LO is rather hilarious, yesterday I was telling her a certain lady is my big boss, she told her she isn't because her mummy is my big boss LOL. Thankfully for the most part she has behaved rather well as she normally does. The daycare that is looking after her when I'm at work brought her to a watch making workshop a few days ago, now she keeps asking people what type of watch they are wearing and what movement it is using. Thankfully she is just a LO so most people just find it cute.

What refrigerator unit did you get? Any good deals?
Well I ordered a Frigidaire one from Tesco Direct for £199 as it was the cheapest one that was similarly sized to the one I have now (the new one has 5 litres extra room in the fridge but 2 litres less room in the freezer ....close enough!)

I found a coupon for £20 off which took it down to £177

We then used ALL our clubcard tokens that we were saving, which took it down to £121.47

We were still thinking "how are we going to afford this?" though because I've got the car going in for its MOT tomorrow, and road tax due at the end of June. We just don't have a spare £121.47!

So I rang my mam and asked her if I can skip her June payment (I pay her £100 a month) so that I can pay for this new fridge freezer, and she said yes. Course it doesn't mean I won't have to give her it back - I will - but it'll just get tacked on so that I pay her for an extra month at the end of all this. But that'll be in like 16 years time!

So there you have it. We're forking out £21.47 this month for a new fridge freezer!

It's arriving tomorrow sometime between 7.30am-10.30am apparently.
Reply 183
Ah it must be such a pain without a fridge PMP, especially as the sun has decided to come out. Hope it comes on time for you tomorrow!

How is everyone? I'm really enjoying this sunshine, even if i should be doing revision right now, instead going to the pub for dinner in the sunshine!
Well I ordered a Frigidaire one from Tesco Direct for £199 as it was the cheapest one that was similarly sized to the one I have now (the new one has 5 litres extra room in the fridge but 2 litres less room in the freezer ....close enough!)

I found a coupon for £20 off which took it down to £177

We then used ALL our clubcard tokens that we were saving, which took it down to £121.47

We were still thinking "how are we going to afford this?" though because I've got the car going in for its MOT tomorrow, and road tax due at the end of June. We just don't have a spare £121.47!

So I rang my mam and asked her if I can skip her June payment (I pay her £100 a month) so that I can pay for this new fridge freezer, and she said yes. Course it doesn't mean I won't have to give her it back - I will - but it'll just get tacked on so that I pay her for an extra month at the end of all this. But that'll be in like 16 years time!

So there you have it. We're forking out £21.47 this month for a new fridge freezer!

It's arriving tomorrow sometime between 7.30am-10.30am apparently.

I have bought that brand before for flats I rent out. Quite a good one, generally doesn't break down or have leaky problems. Seems like Tesco must be having a good deal on them as it definitely has gone down in price.

Generally decent considering the price, only thing my tenants used to complain is they were a bit noisy. Definitely better than a lot of the junk brands from China that seems to be everywhere these days.

Hope it arrives on time tomorrow for you :smile:

Original post by alexa123
Ah it must be such a pain without a fridge PMP, especially as the sun has decided to come out. Hope it comes on time for you tomorrow!

How is everyone? I'm really enjoying this sunshine, even if i should be doing revision right now, instead going to the pub for dinner in the sunshine!

Still not done for the year?
Original post by Erich Hartmann
I have bought that brand before for flats I rent out. Quite a good one, generally doesn't break down or have leaky problems. Seems like Tesco must be having a good deal on them as it definitely has gone down in price.

Generally decent considering the price, only thing my tenants used to complain is they were a bit noisy. Definitely better than a lot of the junk brands from China that seems to be everywhere these days.

Hope it arrives on time tomorrow for you :smile:

thanks. It did arrive on time - it was here at 7.30am this morning. It's a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be though, it's only as high as my neck, which is about a foot shorter than my last one. I think I'm going to have to do bi-weely shops, as I'll not fit enough in for the 5 of us to last a week.

Still, I have a working (hope it's working anyway!! I have to wait a couple of hours to let it settle before I plug it in) fridge-freezer now, which is a lot better than not having one at all. It'll do for now.

I'm meant to be taking the car for its MOT today but I think I'm going to ring the garage and see if I can make it next Saturday, as I really need to go food shopping today!
Reply 186
Maybe a weird question: why didn't you go out to a fridge-store to buy one in person, so you'd know the size, and take it home instantly?
Reply 187

Still not done for the year?

Nope, unfortunately not. We came back from Christmas hols quite late, so everything seems to be later for my uni. I finish on the 10th June, so not long to go now!!
Original post by Zenobia
Maybe a weird question: why didn't you go out to a fridge-store to buy one in person, so you'd know the size, and take it home instantly?

because then I wouldn't have been able to use all my coupons.

I found a £20 discount voucher code on a voucher code website (which you have to enter at the online checkout),

plus I had all my tesco clubcard vouchers to use, and I've lost most of the physical vouchers, so I had to do it by entering the codes at the online checkout.

It wouldn't have made any difference anyway, I couldn't afford a bigger fridge-freezer!

edited to add : anyway I wouldn't have been able to take it home instantly - I can't exactly fit a fridge freezer in my little honda :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zenobia

Generally in Britain, with many things it is much cheaper to buy it online and have it delivered to you than it is to buy it at a retail store.

The other reason is some products and the fridge in question is one of them, you can't go to a Tesco store and buy it as it is an online only product or you have to do it by special order.

Even if you do go to a store, you usually won't be able to take it home instantly unless they are selling off their ex-display items.

thanks. It did arrive on time - it was here at 7.30am this morning. It's a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be though, it's only as high as my neck, which is about a foot shorter than my last one. I think I'm going to have to do bi-weely shops, as I'll not fit enough in for the 5 of us to last a week.

Still, I have a working (hope it's working anyway!! I have to wait a couple of hours to let it settle before I plug it in) fridge-freezer now, which is a lot better than not having one at all. It'll do for now.

I'm meant to be taking the car for its MOT today but I think I'm going to ring the garage and see if I can make it next Saturday, as I really need to go food shopping today!

They are starter units, generally meant for flats and small families. You should be able to fill in enough groceries for 5, many student flats have similar sized refrigerator units and it is shared by 6-8 :biggrin: Just keep the fizzy drinks and beer cubes out of it :biggrin:

Bi weekly grocery runs isn't so bad especially if you could do it before noon, my DW does it that way on most weeks.

Original post by alexa123
Nope, unfortunately not. We came back from Christmas hols quite late, so everything seems to be later for my uni. I finish on the 10th June, so not long to go now!!

Not too long indeed.....all the best if you still have exams.

They are starter units, generally meant for flats and small families. You should be able to fill in enough groceries for 5, many student flats have similar sized refrigerator units and it is shared by 6-8 :biggrin: Just keep the fizzy drinks and beer cubes out of it :biggrin:

Bi weekly grocery runs isn't so bad especially if you could do it before noon, my DW does it that way on most weeks.

haha see now I NEED my fizzy drinks to be cold. COLD cold really cold. The colder the better lol. Beer we don't buy though.

I guess bi weekly shopping won't be too bad. I'll cope :wink:
Reply 191
haha see now I NEED my fizzy drinks to be cold. COLD cold really cold. The colder the better lol. Beer we don't buy though.

Ah i know what you mean on the cold drinks front! I share a fridge with 8 at uni, it really isn't big enough so we don't really have room for alcohol/fizzy drinks! Miss the days when drinks were mega cold :rolleyes:
have just been digging around in the attic and I found some pics in one of my photo albums of my mam from the late 70s. I kept thinking how similar she looks now to how she did then. So I thought I'd scan one of them...

1977 (she'll have been 27 or 28 here, so similar age to me now - I'm 27.)

and more recently :

2009 (so THIRTY TWO years later. Her 60th birthday)

Do you think I could possibly cross my fingers and hope to age quite so effortlessly? Remind me to ask her what moisturiser she uses :lol:

I mean yes, okay, you can tell she's aged, but for thirty two years later that's not bad going.

No real point to this post tbh I just thought I'd share lol.
Reply 193
WOW PMP......your Mum looks younger than me and I'm 38!.Whats her secret? :tongue:
Reply 194
I think her skin looks amazing for 60, hopefully it is genetics :smile:
thanks alexa! I hope so lol.

Original post by Annie72
WOW PMP......your Mum looks younger than me and I'm 38!.Whats her secret? :tongue:

haha I have no idea. Lots of holidays?! lol. She's not had any cosmetic surgery I know that much.

I know that feeling :smile: I normally take my fizzy drinks with loads of crushed ice or in my freezable mug, unless it is beer then it must not have any ice in it. But I rarely drink beer at home, somehow or rather it just doesn't feel the same having a can at home and a pint at the pub.

anyway I wouldn't have been able to take it home instantly - I can't exactly fit a fridge freezer in my little honda :lol:

I chuckled at that thought, reminds me of long ago when my mom insisted we could fit an IKEA package into the back of her car, it was also a little Honda... a Honda Jazz.

How did the grocery run go or did you get the MOT?

thanks alexa! I hope so lol.

haha I have no idea. Lots of holidays?! lol. She's not had any cosmetic surgery I know that much.

I am guessing she used a lot of good cosmetics and was a regular client at various beauty salons :biggrin: Either that or she didn't have a high stressed job or worried little........ my guess is she doesn't worry much about money.

I guess you better start using the same moisturisers, cleansers and toners or else :biggrin: My mom who used to be a distributor for a range of cosmetics and also run a few beauty salons used to have a theory.....the more kids you have the more worries you have, so that means the more kids you have the more you must take care and pamper yourself.......or so she said to her clients :smile:
Congrats, what program and where at?

alexa123

Wow BP, cannot believe Milly will be two, where does the time go!
Uni in september sounds exciting, what will you be doing?? x

Zenobia

Ooooh that's exciting!

It's a long story so I shall cut it short! I did a BA (HONS) Primary education and dropped the QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) because I couldn't hack the placements at the time (It is extremely demanding and I had 2 very small children ect ect!) so I graduated without it. So now, to be fully qualified teacher I need to go back and do a part PGCE (and get my QTS) so I am doing a Lower Primary PGCE at Cumbria University. Confused? hehe! So I will finally be qualified 6 years, 2 children and a marriage after originally starting in 2006! :tongue:

PMP: Glad your fridge came... at last!

EH: Ah, your LO sounds lovely! I love it when they try to talk like an adult, so cute!

We had Milly's Birthday party yesterday, can't believe she is 2! We had a garden party and the weather was just gorgeous, she is so sneaky though, we put all her presents inside to open later and she snuck in and opened them all, hehe bless!

Hope everyone is well!

:biggrin:
Original post by balloon_parade

Original post by balloon_parade
It's a long story so I shall cut it short! I did a BA (HONS) Primary education and dropped the QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) because I couldn't hack the placements at the time (It is extremely demanding and I had 2 very small children ect ect!) so I graduated without it. So now, to be fully qualified teacher I need to go back and do a part PGCE (and get my QTS) so I am doing a Lower Primary PGCE at Cumbria University.

Just from curiosity, which campus? I was doing a PGCE at lancaster, secondary, though!
Original post by Teao the Cat
Just from curiosity, which campus? I was doing a PGCE at lancaster, secondary, though!

Carlisle, good experience? What are the placement team like? x

Quick Reply

Latest