The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i don't think i'd want to do the UKCAT on the 5th of july

=/ but then again i'm rubbish at logic tests, so i may get it over and done with
Hi :smile: i posted a while ago about maybe having to take a gap year and apply for 2013 entry instead of 2012 entry with the new declaring AS's, i was worried that some places dont consider your re-application.
Today i found that the manchester medicine prospectus says "if you have applied to the university of manchester previously you must give the relevant UCAS number so we can re-examine:eek: your old UCAS form."
Can anyone help me out, im going to apply this year regardless of grades to get to grips with UCAS, (if im going to have to do it on my own i want a general idea of what to do) is it risky to apply to manchester or would they consider my re-application :confused:
Original post by EbonyJane
Hi :smile: i posted a while ago about maybe having to take a gap year and apply for 2013 entry instead of 2012 entry with the new declaring AS's, i was worried that some places dont consider your re-application.
Today i found that the manchester medicine prospectus says "if you have applied to the university of manchester previously you must give the relevant UCAS number so we can re-examine:eek: your old UCAS form."
Can anyone help me out, im going to apply this year regardless of grades to get to grips with UCAS, (if im going to have to do it on my own i want a general idea of what to do) is it risky to apply to manchester or would they consider my re-application :confused:

Not too sure, I think they might do that just to see what sort of progress you made in your gap year, and if you've used the time since you last applied productively.
Reply 3163
Original post by sixthformer
not Iranian, but i value the president for his humanity, morals, and his way of life

:smile: i live near london but not in it

every uni/museum etc should have a section about public lectures/ forthcoming events that will list what they have on. most will have a way of subscribing so they can keep you up to date. possibly London might have website for all the museums/places of interest with a section on lectures etc that you can subscribe to. we have one for all the northern ones thru our local tourist office. there's a genetics place up here (the life centre that runs courses/has lectures. there may be something similar i London.)sorry I can't help more.
:| i've booked my ukcat, eergh, now i just need to sort out getting my provisional licence as photo-ID,

and today info on the premed + pre-ukcat courses at Imperial came through the post... each one £99, so somehow i'm pretty sure i shan't be going :tongue:
Original post by manic_fuzz
:| i've booked my ukcat, eergh, now i just need to sort out getting my provisional licence as photo-ID,

and today info on the premed + pre-ukcat courses at Imperial came through the post... each one £99, so somehow i'm pretty sure i shan't be going :tongue:

:biggrin: They came for me too today, was reading through thinking "This seems cool" then I saw the price :K: no thanks :tongue:
Original post by Joseppea
:biggrin: They came for me too today, was reading through thinking "This seems cool" then I saw the price :K: no thanks :tongue:

Ahh well, according to here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1613339 it isn't really worth the money anyway :tongue:

I think one of my friends is going, but also so he can see what Imperial's like, but i personally don't think i'd enjoy it there :tongue: a bit too sciencey :wink:
Ahh well, according to here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1613339 it isn't really worth the money anyway :tongue:

I think one of my friends is going, but also so he can see what Imperial's like, but i personally don't think i'd enjoy it there :tongue: a bit too sciencey :wink:

:laugh: I don't mind "sciencey" but I don't like London! :tongue: Too busy and this guy on a bike nearly took me with him (accidentally I hope) when I was a kid walking along the pavements :eek:

Where are you thinking of applying?
:laugh: I don't mind "sciencey" but I don't like London! :tongue: Too busy and this guy on a bike nearly took me with him (accidentally I hope) when I was a kid walking along the pavements :eek:

Where are you thinking of applying?

ahh, i'm spending two weeks in london for work ex at the end of this month and i can't wait! :biggrin:

:s-smilie: i really have noooooo idea, i went to a residential thingy at Oxford and the city + university was just amazing! like yes, i knew it would be great, but somehow it completely went above expectations, and i'm going to cambridge at the end of this month but i don't think i like the idea of there. I really like the thought of going to UCL though, and i thought about peninsula because it's close and i'd get an extra grant if i went, though that's a terrible reason for wanting to go there :tongue: otherwise i have no idea :/ i really need to start looking into it *looks to his left to see a pile of disregarded prospectuses* but i think i'll see how the UKCAT goes before making any concrete decisions :tongue:

:smile: how about you??
just out of interest- which medical schools still teach anatomy, physiology, immunology separately?

from all the ones i have been looking at they all seem to be systems based, learning anatomy, physiology, etc for each system?
Original post by giraffegiraffe
just out of interest- which medical schools still teach anatomy, physiology, immunology separately?

from all the ones i have been looking at they all seem to be systems based, learning anatomy, physiology, etc for each system?

Well they are all taught 'separately' even in a systems based course. For instance anatomy sessions are timetabled differently from the lectures and there is a separate exam for anatomy. It's not like you get one paper asking you everything about that system, you are assessed on that system in every discipline.

Tbh I've no idea which ones do it another way but there are bound to be some. Many think systems is a better way of learning and although you may disagree, some medical schools have spent 500 years fine tuning their course so are probably on to something :smile:
Reply 3171

my state school had a grant for stuff like that-I got money for the train and the cost of the ay at Imperial, money for a suit and train tickets to all interviews. I only got it as my mam asked the head of sixth form if he knew of any grants she could apply for. it's worth checking.also see the next post
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3172

I bought all the ukcat courses stuff incl the web-based ones on ebay so have a look.also look on purepotential website for free courses on how to apply-at mine there were reps from GMC who were really helpful. also see if your local uni does student shadowing days-I got to stalk..sorry...shadow a med student and they gave great info.also look at post above
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3173
Imperial sure know how to get money
Reply 3174
hi about to buy some books from amazon
can anyone suggest some good books to read about medicine or ethics. and something to help with UKCAT and BMAT which are the best books?
Original post by rsp
hi about to buy some books from amazon
can anyone suggest some good books to read about medicine or ethics. and something to help with UKCAT and BMAT which are the best books?

'ISC Medical 600 Q' Book for UKCAT,

'A very short introduction to medical ethics' by Hope is also good.

Don't worry about textbooks or anything at this stage :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3176
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
'ISC Medical 600 Q' Book for UKCAT,

'A very short introduction to medical ethics' by Hope is also good.

Don't worry about textbooks or anything at this stage :smile:

Thanx Ive found them on amazon is this any good ?
Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science
Original post by rsp
Thanx Ive found them on amazon is this any good ?
Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science

I'm sure it is interesting but the ins and outs of surgery isn't really that relevant for you at the moment. The medical ethics one makes you think in a more holistic sense :smile:
So has anyone got any good books for reading if I'm going for Cambridge/Imperial/Barts/UCL ?
Original post by JChoudhry
So has anyone got any good books for reading if I'm going for Cambridge/Imperial/Barts/UCL ?

The BMAT markscheme :wink: