The Student Room Group

Magnetic Earings - do they hurt & leave marks on ears?

I really want some earings, however my ears aren't pierced. I've heared about magnetic earings, could someone tell me something more about them?

Are they 100% safe? Won't do any harm to ears??

Do they hurt and do they leave any marks on your ears??

Is it ok to wear them whole day and just take them off when going to bed?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

They never stayed on me properly. Maybe I've got weird ears :tongue:

Have a look at clip-on earrings too. They seem to stay on better.
Reply 2
They're safe and the pain kinda varies person-to-person. Personally, I don't find them painful at all but they do leave slight dents in your ears which go away once you take them off. But my friend found them kinda uncomfortable... You can wear them as long as you want, but I wouldn't sleep in them because they might fall off.
I used to have some when I was younger, before I had my ears pierced. In all honesty after wearing them for about an hour they made my ears all sore, and it wouldn't stop for a while after I took them off. If you can, it's better to get your ears pierced (I only got mine done 2 years ago, but they've been great since).
Reply 4
Get them pierced. Short term pain for long term gain (in the majority of cases...)
Reply 5
They are fine, but hurt more in the long run then normal piercings. Just get them pierced, it's not like it's permanent anyway.
Reply 6
I used to wear them when I was a kid, they make your ears go all red and ache badly after a while.
Reply 7
If it's for a special occasion then wear magnetic ones since they hurt less than clip ons (for me, any way) but you'll probably spend most of your time checking that the magnets haven't moved/fallen off.
If you want to wear them a lot, I would recommend getting them pierced. Claire's are pretty good =)
Original post by edd360
They are fine, but hurt more in the long run then normal piercings. Just get them pierced, it's not like it's permanent anyway.

You'd think that..but I had my ears pierced when I was about seven, haven't worn earrings since primary school and yet my ears still haven't closed up..
Reply 9
Original post by FelixFelicis
You'd think that..but I had my ears pierced when I was about seven, haven't worn earrings since primary school and yet my ears still haven't closed up..

That's quite interesting. Hmmm, are the holes noticeable?
Original post by edd360
That's quite interesting. Hmmm, are the holes noticeable?

Yup! You can see them and after about 10 years of not wearing earrings (not even trying them on to see if the holes were open) I found that they still hadn't closed up :lolwut:
Reply 11
Yup! You can see them and after about 10 years of not wearing earrings (not even trying them on to see if the holes were open) I found that they still hadn't closed up :lolwut:

That's weird, I got mine done when I was 13 and they've since semi-closed up twice!

Anyways, the magnetic earrings never stayed on me, I don't know if I have chubby earlobes or what. I had some clip on silver hoops which were very convincing and not too painful though.
Get them pierced. As long as you don't go longer than a year or so without wearing earrings, they shouldn't block up. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

did you get them pierced with a laser or something lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KiwiBerry
If it's for a special occasion then wear magnetic ones since they hurt less than clip ons (for me, any way) but you'll probably spend most of your time checking that the magnets haven't moved/fallen off.
If you want to wear them a lot, I would recommend getting them pierced. Claire's are pretty good =)

Claires are not good at all... and neither is anywhere that uses them nasty guns. They can't be cleaned thoroughly enough.

Get your ears pierced. Ear lobes barely hurt, and heal quick, but go to a proper piercer and ask for them to do it with a needle, just to be clear.
Reply 15
They do make your ears ache - if you don't want to get them pierced, decent clip ons are probably better than magnetic :smile:
i had mine ears pieced at 4 and i am now 12 and mine have not closed up it depends on if ur ears backs and fronts are visibly the same with and if they are narrow
Original post by bella b 2003
i had mine ears pieced at 4 and i am now 12 and mine have not closed up it depends on if ur ears backs and fronts are visibly the same with and if they are narrow

Resurrecting a four-year-old thread, I see! :smile:
they're safe but not very comfortable
I developed a permanent nickel allergy after getting my ears pierced. I needed plastic surgery on one earlobe that had curled up as a reaction. I now have 1 large and 1 small ear lobe. I can only wear plastic , gold, or sterling silver against my skin. Anything else contains nickel and causes a nasty itchy rash that lasts for days. I can never have my ears pierced again or get a tattoo. So while most people are fine with piercings, there is a risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending