The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm I've been contemplating applying to St. John's, but is that a bit too eager? :P
Ohhh gosh went back yesterday for my date, what a beautiful day! Visited churches, learnt about architecture, spent hours in the Ashmolean and in Christ Church Park....wow...
Original post by dnumberwang
It only ever lands shut! :rant: :dontknow:

Original post by Phia7
Very depressing. I tried it just now. :angry:
I think I'll just look which college is nearest to the department/faculty/whatever :dontknow:

Oops, sorry guys. My process of elimination went like this:
-does my course
-old and pretty
-in central Oxford
-accomodation for the whole course

...that was pretty much it, actually.

Original post by lukas1051
Yeah, I'm not really that bothered about college... there are only about 5 that offer the subject I want to do anyway, so I doubt it would be too difficult a decision. I know a lot of people have this idealistic view of studying at Oxford, and their dream college; I'm not really like that... as long as it's nice I don't really care :smile:

Yeah, I mean almost half of all successful applicants get assigned to a different college anyway, so it's not a massive tactical decision as some people seem to think :rolleyes:
Original post by such_a_lady
Yeah, I mean almost half of all successful applicants get assigned to a different college anyway, so it's not a massive tactical decision as some people seem to think :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's almost half (although I'd be interested to see what proportion it actually is), but as someone who got in to a different college than the one I applied for, I'm a big advocate of the "it doesn't matter very much" school of thought
Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm not sure it's almost half (although I'd be interested to see what proportion it actually is), but as someone who got in to a different college than the one I applied for, I'm a big advocate of the "it doesn't matter very much" school of thought

If I remember correctly, it's 1 in 5 that get assigned to a different college.
Reply 765
Original post by irina793

That's the figure I remember too, though it now appears that by 2010 entry "over 25% of successful candidates..are at a college other than the college they named as their preference"

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/college_choice.html

Maybe the stats depend on how open applications are categorised?
(edited 12 years ago)
At the open day I was told 40%, but that could well include open applications.

Original post by LtCommanderData

Original post by shoshin
That's the figure I remember too, though it now appears that by 2010 entry "over 25% of successful candidates..are at a college other than the college they named as their preference"

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/college_choice.html

Maybe the stats depend on how open applications are categorised?
Reply 767
At the open day I was told 40%, but that could well include open applications.

I don't think there are enough successful candidates making open applications to get that big a swing from them. The percentage of reallocated applicants could plausibly be higher for languages because you have essentially a number of small, interdependent courses which would require more moving around to get the right balance at each college. (This is pure hypothesis.)
I don't think we can calculate this. ? :smile:
Original post by KatherineGiddins
Hi I am applying to New college Oxford to do French and Spanish. oxford seems like such a nice and really inspirational place and I hope I get in!

:biggrin: I'm applying to New too! :five: :yay:

Have you visited yet? If so, when did you go? Its so beautiful, right? :daydreaming:
I am so jealous! But at least it's only a month until the open day! :party:

Ohhh gosh went back yesterday for my date, what a beautiful day! Visited churches, learnt about architecture, spent hours in the Ashmolean and in Christ Church Park....wow...
Who is going to be there? On which of the two open days and in which college?
Original post by Phia7
I am so jealous! But at least it's only a month until the open day! :party:
(edited 12 years ago)
I hopefully am going to apply this year for PPE, but since getting rejected from the UNIQ Summer School for PPE, does anyone here think I would stand much chance? :frown:
Reply 773
Maybe somebody can help me with this:
Right now, I'm trying to find out more about the reference, as I have said before, I am German, so my school isn't used to UCAS. Anyway, what exactly needs to be included in the reference? Do predited grades go in there? I have found information saying that it should be written by all your teachers and then combined into one text, this would be very tough for me though, I take 13 subjects (this is normal for a German student). Also, it is just academic stuff that my referee is supposed to talk about right? Anything academic relating to my subject that I do outside of school can be mentioned too, if I'm not mistaken and for example dedication and hard work can be highlighted by giving an example that doesn't relate do my academic potential. (I play an instrument very successfully (British people I have played with in the past said I would be the highest grade that you guys can get, I don't really know that system, we don't have it, but I have won several prizes on natinoal level in a music competition) and have been doing so ever since I was in elemetary school, so should my referee talk about this or not?
Any help is very much appreciated... This is all so confusing...
Original post by anyone_can_fly
We basically got told the nativity story for seven years, with occasional breaks to explain that some strange people had other festivals like Diwali and Chanukah, because they believed old myths about X. It always annoyed me how Christianity was taught as fact, but you must've had it much worse!

I can't help but feel this is rather religion-ist.
Strange? If that's what you think, I can't do anything about it, I guess.
However, the condescending way in which you implied that believing in their myths is stupid shows how narrow-minded you are. It's kind of funny how you declare that "they believed old myths about X".
As someone mentioned earlier, it is taken metaphorically most of the time. I can't account for those slightly unhinged die-hard religious people of course. Most just celebrated it (and still do) because it is tradition.
Rereading that line about the Christianity thing, I've just realised you're probably just one of those enlightened people who think that religion is a stupid farce. You do realise that without religion, there wouldn't be science?
A lot of things in religion are much more advanced than science. That's not to say that everything is true, but that you shouldn't just write it off as useless. Religion is created by man, so it's not absolutely true or good. However, it's created mostly based on unconscious logical assumptions, which is really not quite that useless.
Original post by MeeMee
Maybe somebody can help me with this:
Right now, I'm trying to find out more about the reference, as I have said before, I am German, so my school isn't used to UCAS.

Hi!
I'm from Romania, so my teachers aren't used with UCAS and the whole process either, but this is what I did. I've asked my headteacher to write my reference and I gave her a list with what is required, like:
-their opinion of your suitability for a particular profession (eg you've demonstrated your dedication and calm nature for nursing)
-your proposed career plan - if you have one - so make sure your referee is aware of your career ideas and any work experience
etc (you can find the info on ucas, or on websites, but it's not all in one place, so you have a bit of a search to do)
and I also gave her the info about me, so she knows everything I have done, so she can select the info she needs when writing the reference.

Hope this helps! :biggrin: Oh, and about the predicted grades, you can put those in the reference section on ucas, so I don't think it's necessary to put them in the actual reference as well. And your teacher should def write about the fact that you've won contests and your dedication for playing an instrument, as it highlights your qualities: hard worker, passionate, dedicated etc.
Reply 776
Original post by nerimon18
I hopefully am going to apply this year for PPE, but since getting rejected from the UNIQ Summer School for PPE, does anyone here think I would stand much chance? :frown:

I wouldn't let the UNIQ issue put you off.

Only 10% of PPE UNIQ applicants (just 30 of 286) got places:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/uniq/applicant_numbers.html

..whereas the PPE intake at Oxford is 239, with a success rate of 16.5%

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/philosophy_politics_and_economics/philosophy_politic_4.html

Therefore, even if all PPE UNIQ attendees were subsequently offered a place at Oxford, there are opportunities for other strong applicants.

Less than half of the UNIQ attendees (across all subjects) who then apply to Oxford do get an offer, albeit that this is "a success rate nearly double that of all applicants to the University."

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/110311.html

Good luck :smile:
Reply 777
Hi!
I'm from Romania, so my teachers aren't used with UCAS and the whole process either, but this is what I did. I've asked my headteacher to write my reference and I gave her a list with what is required, like:
-their opinion of your suitability for a particular profession (eg you've demonstrated your dedication and calm nature for nursing)
-your proposed career plan - if you have one - so make sure your referee is aware of your career ideas and any work experience
etc (you can find the info on ucas, or on websites, but it's not all in one place, so you have a bit of a search to do)
and I also gave her the info about me, so she knows everything I have done, so she can select the info she needs when writing the reference.

Hope this helps! :biggrin: Oh, and about the predicted grades, you can put those in the reference section on ucas, so I don't think it's necessary to put them in the actual reference as well. And your teacher should def write about the fact that you've won contests and your dedication for playing an instrument, as it highlights your qualities: hard worker, passionate, dedicated etc.

Thanks, I guess that's kind of what I thought... I'll have to check back with him soon then I guess... Summer break is just really in the wrong place for me. Just one month after school starts over I'll have to turn the application in. SO scary...

I got rejected from UNIQ too, for History :smile: but it was about x4 more competitive as it would have been as there were only 60 spaces, anyway I don't think it should put you off, if I get the right grades I'm definitely trying again!

Original post by tgarrud
Hmm I've been contemplating applying to St. John's, but is that a bit too eager? :P

I'm thinking maybe St.Johns too! Or maybe Worcester? I'm going to the Worcester open day in July, and I'll choose from there, as many people have discussed before us, college choice doesn't matter hugely and we might get re-located anyway, but it's nice to look around/choose :rolleyes:
Reply 779

Lol don't worry! Firstly, the selection criteria is a mixture of academics and social background whereas the actual application is 100% academics. Therefore, although I'm sure the people accepted have a strong set of grades, UNIQ's selection does NOT reflect your ability in that subject compared to others.

Secondly, regarding the claim that participants have a 50% chance, I think this is simply a correlation and NOT a cause so it is nothing to be worried about. But, if it is a cause (that the act of being in this summer school increases your chance) then as long as you do some valuable stuff in the holidays (read, other summer schools (i.e. I am going on one that is more intensive and longer, look in sig), etc.) that EQUATES to going on this, you should also technically have a 50% chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending