The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty set on Cambridge as I quite enjoy doing STEP.
Reply 541
Original post by tehforum
don't you need two a stars in maths and fm?

Jheeezzee

gl.

i will have the a* in maths by the end of this year.....merk the mat....then i will be dancing :colone: rip every1

wbu? Med? Bmat and ukcat on lock?
Original post by ben-smith
I'm pretty set on Cambridge as I quite enjoy doing STEP.

You crazy!
Original post by hassi94
You crazy!

I don't see why it is unreasonable for someone applying for maths at university should like doing challenging problems.
Original post by ben-smith
I don't see why it is unreasonable for someone applying for maths at university should like doing challenging problems.

Naa I'm just kidding really. I agree to an extent. :smile:

I enjoy practising and I'll probably enjoy actually doing STEP, but I'm certainly not going to enjoy relying on it to meet my offer. :tongue: Then again I doubt anyone will! :smile:
Original post by like_a_star
If your going to apply to Warwick, Imperial or Bath then you might have to do STEP anyway. Just something to think about :biggrin:

If I get an offer from Oxford, I won't be doing STEP because I'm not applying to Warwick or Bath and Imperial have a higher offer anyway so it's only there so I can firm it if I get rejected from Oxbridge

I'm still gonna bash STEP in maths lessons though, it's good stuff :smile:
Reply 546
Original post by hassi94
Naa I'm just kidding really. I agree to an extent. :smile:

I enjoy practising and I'll probably enjoy actually doing STEP, but I'm certainly not going to enjoy relying on it to meet my offer. :tongue: Then again I doubt anyone will! :smile:

Every thread i go on YOU SEEM TO BE THERE!

I enjoy looking at STEP :tongue: i managed to do one question on matrices though, i thought i'd print the question out and frame it in my room afterwards :wink:
Original post by Jampolo
Every thread i go on YOU SEEM TO BE THERE!

I enjoy looking at STEP :tongue: i managed to do one question on matrices though, i thought i'd print the question out and frame it in my room afterwards :wink:

That's cause you're lurking around Maths + Cambridge forums. :wink: It's what I do haha. :tongue:

Yeah I spent like 2 hours trying to figure a question out before. :tongue: I have managed to get 1 full question done (albeit on the only paper I actually sat down and tried) on STEP II which was a tetrahedron question with lots of angles, pythag, trig etc. One of the best moments in my life :wink:
With rise in tuition fees, obviously the 'mickey mouse' degrees will take a hit with applicants. But do we think that people at the other end will re consider ? I'm doubting it tbh.
Original post by maths134
With rise in tuition fees, obviously the 'mickey mouse' degrees will take a hit with applicants. But do we think that people at the other end will re consider ? I'm doubting it tbh.

I don't think too many people are put off. Most people either are really passionate about university, or they still don't know what else to do!
Reply 550
Original post by maths134

I'd have to agree, the hardcore pro degrees (sciences and maths) will hardly take a hit, maybe only from the very poorest of candidates, or some will look abroad.
hey there
im in year 11 and was wondering which universities don't require further maths for alevel?
thanks in advance
Reply 552
Original post by hassi94
That's cause you're lurking around Maths + Cambridge forums. :wink: It's what I do haha. :tongue:

Yeah I spent like 2 hours trying to figure a question out before. :tongue: I have managed to get 1 full question done (albeit on the only paper I actually sat down and tried) on STEP II which was a tetrahedron question with lots of angles, pythag, trig etc. One of the best moments in my life :wink:

Its fun isn't it! :P Ima self teach C3/4 over the summer and see how well i can attempt AEA, as thats something i also wish to take!
Original post by Jampolo
Its fun isn't it! :P Ima self teach C3/4 over the summer and see how well i can attempt AEA, as thats something i also wish to take!

I'm also self teaching myself C3/4 this summer :tongue: This is getting weird now.. :wink:

Ah I see I'm not going to bother I don't think. I'm just going to do STEP I until I've just about mastered it and go up to 2 nearing the end of this year (assuming I don't get rejected before interview haha).
I've got C3 in about a week and a half and it's during work experience:frown:
Original post by AishaTara
hey there
im in year 11 and was wondering which universities don't require further maths for alevel?
thanks in advance

Basically, most of the top unis require Further. Most below that do not require Further.

So these all require Further (AS or A-level):

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial College London
Warwick
Bath
Durham
Bristol
University College London
King's College London

Most of the rest would appreciate at least AS Further, but they don't require it. Interestingly there are many good universities (LSE, St Andrews, Nottingham) that don't require Further, while some which are not so highly regarded (Loughborough) do require Further, according to a spreadsheet I made for myself :tongue:

Here's the spreadsheet if anyone wants to check it out:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuC3uSoohVKqdGF1ZGxfeXdvWmY2QlZEMVpSWTJPcnc&hl=en_US&authkey=CJLIpvoC

Note that I've just included what I consider correct for myself. So if a uni says "we want A* maths, or A in maths and B in Further", I jumped for the second option and disregarded the first, because I do Further!

Here's the accompanying map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=216371852266755635651.00049ec9b69f0e25ee95e&t=h&z=6

Just throwing them at random passers-by in the hope one gives me a hug :smile:
Original post by Xero Xenith
Basically, most of the top unis require Further. Most below that do not require Further.

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial College London
Warwick
Bath
Durham
Bristol
King's College London

Most of the rest would appreciate at least AS Further, but they don't require it. Interestingly there are many good universities (LSE, St Andrews, Nottingham) that don't require Further, while some which are not so highly regarded (Loughborough) do require Further, according to a spreadsheet I made for myself :tongue:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuC3uSoohVKqdGF1ZGxfeXdvWmY2QlZEMVpSWTJPcnc&hl=en_US&authkey=CJLIpvoC

Note that I've just included what I consider correct for myself. So if a uni says "we want A* maths, or A in maths and B in Further", I jumped for the second option and disregarded the first, because I do Further!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=216371852266755635651.00049ec9b69f0e25ee95e&t=h&z=6

thank you! this has been very very useful! I'll postive rep this in a minute.
But, also do you know what Birmingham require?
Thanks again

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial College London
Warwick
Bath
Durham
Bristol
King's College London

what's conf 2012?

Wow!! You are dedicated!!! Ive made a ppt but this spreadsheet is great! :biggrin: So, if the uni doesnt specify further maths is it worth doing an AS in it? Would it make any difference/would they care if i've done it??
Original post by BeccaCath94
Wow!! You are dedicated!!! Ive made a ppt but this spreadsheet is great! :biggrin: So, if the uni doesnt specify further maths is it worth doing an AS in it? Would it make any difference/would they care if i've done it??

I know you didn't ask me but these are my two cents anyway:
If you like maths and/or are applying for it at university you should DEFINATELY do it. Why would one do less maths? It would be crazy not to.

Latest