The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

People do you think that medicine will be more competitive next year? Because increased tuition fees mean that people that are more likely to apply to a course in which they will have good future prospects so that its actually worth paying £9000 a year.
For example many people in my college got all As at A Level but are applying to subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Biomed etc. just because their more interested in it. could it possibily mean those type of people next year all apply to medicine?
I know that less people will be applying university next year, but those that apply, are more likely to apply for courses with good job prospects, like medicine, law, engineering etc.
Original post by Scarface-Don
People do you think that medicine will be more competitive next year? Because increased tuition fees mean that people that are more likely to apply to a course in which they will have good future prospects so that its actually worth paying £9000 a year.
For example many people in my college got all As at A Level but are applying to subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Biomed etc. just because their more interested in it. could it possibily mean those type of people next year all apply to medicine?
I know that less people will be applying university next year, but those that apply, are more likely to apply for courses with good job prospects, like medicine, law, engineering etc.

i really really hope not, but i think its hard to say this early

Possibly. Then again there will be lots of people who simply will not have the funds to pay for medicine if the fees go up. Unless the Government and the unis have a lot more grants/scholarships for applicants from a more deprived background then they can't apply.

Time will tell.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Possibly. Then again there will be lots of people who simply will not have the funds to pay for medicine if the fees go up. Unless the Government and the unis have a lot more grants/scholarships for applicants from a more deprived background then they can't apply.

Time will tell.

Well to be honest I dont think that there will be anyone that does not have the funds to pay for medicine because you can just get a loan and repay it when your a doctor, which you probably wont have any trouble repaying when you earn what a doctor earns.
Well to be honest I dont think that there will be anyone that does not have the funds to pay for medicine because you can just get a loan and repay it when your a doctor, which you probably wont have any trouble repaying when you earn what a doctor earns.

Loans sometimes don't cover it, and it will take a good number of years as a doctor before you earn enough to comfortably pay it off.

dont fy1s get like 23k a year? most economics grads will earn way more than that
Original post by bertstare
dont fy1s get like 23k a year? most economics grads will earn way more than that

but thats only for the first two years, medic graduates will probably earn more in the long term than economic graduates,. But we just have to see what is gna happen :smile:
Reply 2327

This is what I thought, until I found out that on top of the maintencance loan, my parents are expected to give me £4000 a year - which for five years is a lot of money...

I don't think it'll make much difference for this year. I would have thought anybody who was going to apply to do medicine would have decided just before the fee rise was announced, or even earlier than that. However, next year, it might change a bit. I guess as well as the job prospects being good, there's also the fact that its a longer course, so you'll have a bigger loan to pay off.

There's the question of whether the approximately £25000 for the extra two years is worth the better job prospects. And thats just counting the minimum loan - there is of course people who'll have higher than the minimum maintenance loan, or people whose parents will have to fund the other £10000 you'll need to live for those two years.

Okay, slight rounding up, but you get my point :biggrin:
Reply 2328

you get up to 60% with banding tho. So realistically i reckon it'd be about 30K for a busy one? I could be wrong
Reply 2329
Original post by dmz
you get up to 60% with banding tho. So realistically i reckon it'd be about 30K for a busy one? I could be wrong

Banding definitely does increase it a lot, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was right :smile:
Reply 2330
Original post by twelve
Banding definitely does increase it a lot, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was right :smile:

i know it's between 40-60 dog junior doctors :tongue:
My teacher described repaying the loan as having a "mobile phone contract"..
Really hope this is accurate enough :s-smilie:

Yeah that's right.. ish, FY1's get a basic salary of roughly £21k per annum, then there's the issue of banding which means you could earn up to £30 for that first year depending on what hours you do..

But bear in mind you will have to pay tax as well as paying off the loan, so you'll lose 20% of anything you earn over £7000 as well as the 9% of anything over £15k..

But you should still earn enough to get by for that year, and then the pay starts to go up so it shouldn't be too bad I imagine :h:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
My teacher described repaying the loan as having a "mobile phone contract"..
Really hope this is accurate enough :s-smilie:

I would definitely agree with this :yep:

You think about it, the money is taken automatically from you, AFAIK you never even see the money so it's really not that bad :nah:
So how's revision going you sexy kunts
Reply 2334
:rofl: actually laughing with tears

e: i thought i was bad but I've not managed 2 neg reps so quickly out of the blue :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dmz
:rofl: actually laughing with tears

e: i thought i was bad but I've not managed 2 neg reps so quickly out of the blue :lol:

Demi, how iz you blood. :colondollar:
Reply 2336
Original post by firestar101
Demi, how iz you blood. :colondollar:

still doing the blood thing? I'm fine Thanks. You?
Original post by dmz
still doing the blood thing? I'm fine Thanks. You?

Yeah. I am fine. It iz how us gangsters talk.
Reply 2338
Original post by firestar101
Yeah. I am fine. It iz how us gangsters talk.

Haha gangsters don't use tsr
So how's revision going you sexy kunts

:coma: I love it when I change the color of people's gems :sogood:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending