The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lukejoshjedi

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Or most films that come out in mainstream cinema, or a a lot of things in general at that

What? He likes a hell of a lot of mainstream films, far more than most critics.
I've heard so many good things about the new X-Men film.
Someone take me NOW.

Original post by zjs
Thought both Enchanted and Tangled were quirky, original, amusing and entertaining in a cutesy way.

Yes, I'm aware of how that sounds. :colonhash:

Enchanted is a fabulous little (massive) film. :biggrin:

I can't wait for this:

Although no Paul Newman, sad days.
Reply 2223
Original post by Stray_talk
Enchanted is a fabulous little (massive) film. :biggrin:

I can't wait for this:

Although no Paul Newman, sad days.

My girlfriend is hell-bent on dragging me along to see Cars 2; while I've yet to see Cars.

It follows a spate of me actually deciding to watch Disney films: Toy Story 3 because of the general consensus that it was great, Tangled because it was one of/the most expensive film to be produced and that moved on to watching Enchanted as well.

May have to watch Cars, if I really am to go and see Cars 2. Worth it then?

Original post by zjs
My girlfriend is hell-bent on dragging me along to see Cars 2; while I've yet to see Cars.

It follows a spate of me actually deciding to watch Disney films: Toy Story 3 because of the general consensus that it was great, Tangled because it was one of/the most expensive film to be produced and that moved on to watching Enchanted as well.

I don't think I'd have watched Cars if it wasn't for my 3 year old nephew but since then I must have watched it a good 15 times (no joke) because he loves it, and in turn I love it too. Fantastic film, for sure. Just hope Cars 2 isn't a let down, I've got massive expectations.
Reply 2225
Original post by Stray_talk
I don't think I'd have watched Cars if it wasn't for my 3 year old nephew but since then I must have watched it a good 15 times (no joke) because he loves it, and in turn I love it too. Fantastic film, for sure. Just hope Cars 2 isn't a let down, I've got massive expectations.

Does it have the subtle puns and humour of something like Shrek? :holmes:

The cutesy Pixar/Dreamworks animation coupled with some decent humour will be sufficient for me to enjoy it. If it's nothing but Disney schmultz and cuteness, I'll be less inclined to watch it.
Original post by zjs

The cutesy Pixar/Dreamworks animation coupled with some decent humour will be sufficient for me to enjoy it. If it's nothing but Disney schmultz and cuteness, I'll be less inclined to watch it.

It definitely has the humour you're looking for. :yy:
Reply 2227
Original post by JessicaW
It definitely has the humour you're looking for. :yy:

May have to give it a watch then.

DePalma's Redacted is first in the 'to watch' queue, mind.

Original post by zjs

Schmultz and cuteness aren't really the name of the game in this film, thankfully.

There are a few one-liners, mostly from the rusty pickup truck "Mater". It's just a fun film, to sum it up nicely.
Pixar are a lot more subtle than Dreamworks. :p:

I think Cars is probably the weakest Pixar film I've seen. It's still great, but when compared to UP, the Toy Story films, Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Wall-E, it's not as good.
Reply 2230
Original post by Madjackismad
Wall-E.

I've never understood the consensus surrounding Wall-E: that it's considered brilliant.

I was genuinely bored to tears within the first ten minutes of the film, and fell asleep after half an hour. All I witnessed in that time was a squeaking CGI robot.

I think Cars is probably the weakest Pixar film I've seen. It's still great, but when compared to UP, the Toy Story films, Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Wall-E, it's not as good.

I thought that about Ratatouille lol
Original post by zjs

duh.....cars is such a cute movie...totally worth seeing it
Reply 2233
Original post by cadaeibfeceh

Do not take Ratatouille's name in vain. :hand:

It's stronger than Ratatouille. Up was great and The Incredibles too, Wall-E was fun but Cars is, personally, something I can watch again and again and again. And have done :tongue:
Original post by V92000
Anyone watch Xmen first class? I thought it was great, was bit worried about the quick scene switching but worked really well at the start of the film!!! Wonder if green lantern will be any good?

I wasn't a huge fan of the quick scene switching to be honest. You'd get invested in one scene and then it would switch.

The Stand is great. A lot of people regard it as the best thing that King has ever written and I'm inclined to agree with them. The Shining is great but The Stand is a lot better. Keep in mind it's a fairly long book, 1,440 pages in length but it's not difficult to read and the pace is pretty steady so you don't have to sludge through overly boring parts.

Worth checking out then. I read The Dome and was really disappointed by that particular work. And The Stand is a horror novel? Doesn't seem like it from the synopsis.

Also are you sure Super 8 comes out in August? Pretty sure it's coming out this month. :holmes:

Never watch Ratatouille when you're feeling slightly hungry. I really liked Ratatouille. I mean, a rat who wants to cook what seems like delicious food... who'd have thought.
(edited 12 years ago)

Ratatouille is criminally overlooked. It's a fantastic film, easily one of Pixar's strongest. It's one of their most distinctive films with a pretty rich story.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I wasn't a huge fan of the quick scene switching to be honest. You'd get invested in one scene and then it would switch.

Worth checking out then. I read The Dome and was really disappointed by that particular work. And The Stand is a horror novel? Doesn't seem like it from the synopsis.

Also are you sure Super 8 comes out in August? Pretty sure it's coming out this month. :holmes:

There are horror elements to The Stand but it's not a full blown horror story like The Shining is or IT. It's pretty epic, there are a lot of characters in it.

Spoiler

Right, just got back from X-Men: First Class. Can confirm that it is very, very good. Quick thoughts:

With all due respect to Sir Ian McKellen, Michael Fassbender's interpretation of Magneto is the best I've seen. I'd go as far as to say he's probably the most nuanced villain in superhero film history (although that may be too narrow a superlative). In every frame, you can practically feel the pain and hate rippling from him, fighting against a genuine desire to better the lot of mutants. At the same time, he can be quite funny and charming in his own way. It's a truly great performance. He also has a very nice theme tune.

McAvoy, Lawrence, Hoult etc. are perfectly serviceable, and Kevin Bacon is a suitably slimy and disgustingly evil villain (I don't think Kevin Bacon does anything other than creepy these days, but he does it well enough). A few of the secondary characters were quite poor, though.

Spoiler

Anyway, it's definitely worth your time. It's not The Dark Knight, but it's easily the best of this series. Also, it proves the theory that the quality of an X-Men film is inversely proportionate to Hugh Jackman's screen-time. :holmes: I'd give it an 8/10.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ratatouille is criminally overlooked. It's a fantastic film, easily one of Pixar's strongest. It's one of their most distinctive films with a pretty rich story.

Sorry I have to disagree! I love Pixar films, all of them, I just didn't think Ratatouille was one of the strongest. I felt it lacked some of the heart that others like WALL-E, Up, Finding Nemo have, and it didn't make up for it with the maturity of something like The Incredibles... hmm...

Quick Reply

Latest