The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boba
Ive never really watched torchwood before but then I've never been as interested in the dr who world in general before so I was thinking about watching it this time. but is it something where you need to have seen earlier ones?

I recommend going through them all.
Probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but...

What's with tonight's episode being billed as the series finale?
Reply 4742
Original post by Miracle Day
because he aged didn't he, I remember him saying he found a grey hair to his daughter Alice and to the Doctor so that must be how he'd aged in years to come.|

he ages into a giant face blob? :s-smilie:
I thought he was human and didn't die because rose brought him back with the tardis power why would he age into a giant face that needed to live in a tank :s-smilie:
Reply 4743
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but, well, with River and everything... if the Doctor died on the beach, but River's either already seen an older version of him (when he 'found out who she really is') OR at the time, he knew everything about her... which it seems he didn't.
So, at the time of the Doctor's death in TIA, River must know he's not really dead, or something like that? If she first met him when he was older, and he died before he became older, then wouldn't that create a paradox, because she wouldn't be there? And since nothing went boom in the universe (or did it?), she must know that somehow, he doesn't really die...

bit of pointless spec there though... ;P
Original post by boba
he ages into a giant face blob? :s-smilie:
I thought he was human and didn't die because rose brought him back with the tardis power why would he age into a giant face that needed to live in a tank :s-smilie:

Consider that he'd lived for billions of years so yeah, I guess in Doctor Who they make it so as if a human lives that long it'll evolve into a big wrinkly face thing.
Original post by Gemini92
It was never explicitly stated that Jack is the Face of Boe, as RTD didn't want to confirm or deny the theory. Also, I think Jack is a RTD character who happened to be introduced in a Moffet episode, since I remember something from Doctor Who Confidential where Moffet said he was told to introduce Jack in the episode by RTD.

Wait, I thought they did explicitly confirm it?

Didn't Jack say that his nickname back at home was

Spoiler

Original post by Madjackismad
Wait, I thought they did explicitly confirm it?

Didn't Jack say that his nickname back at home was

Spoiler

"the face of boe they called me"

However in Series 3 episode 11 with the rocket thing, Martha says 'Think of what the face of boe said!' and Jack was there and didn't say anything..
the ganga doctor and that woman stay behind to kill that monster and the ganga doctor pulls out the sonic screwdriver killing himself, the girl and the monster in the process.

The Doctor pulls his sonic screwdriver out on Amy and melts a minute later in the episode?

significant or..?
Reply 4748

However in Series 3 episode 11 with the rocket thing, Martha says 'Think of what the face of boe said!' and Jack was there and didn't say anything..

ye because it would be future Jack so he wouldn't know about it yet. plus if it was an old nickname from a very long time ago in his life theres no reason why he would even connect it really. I thought that that episode pretty much confirmed it the face of boe knew the doctor wasn't alone because earlier in his time line he had been to the end of the universe with the doctor and seen the master :s-smilie:

Maybe he wanted to keep it secret? He also called the Doctor an

Spoiler

Reply 4750
Consider that he'd lived for billions of years so yeah, I guess in Doctor Who they make it so as if a human lives that long it'll evolve into a big wrinkly face thing.

would of thought he would be happy to die after that long rather than living in a tank. kind of reminds me of the heads on futurama. I think after this weeks episode I will watch all the old torchwood.
Original post by boba
ye because it would be future Jack so he wouldn't know about it yet. plus if it was an old nickname from a very long time ago in his life theres no reason why he would even connect it really. I thought that that episode pretty much confirmed it the face of boe knew the doctor wasn't alone because earlier in his time line he had been to the end of the universe with the doctor and seen the master :s-smilie:

But he would know because when the Doctor is dropping them off in Cardiff after they've defeated the master then he says 'the face of boe they called me' so obviously they called him that in the time agency years ago and so in the future he'd named himself the face of boe because he used to be called it in the time agency?
Reply 4752
the ganga doctor and that woman stay behind to kill that monster and the ganga doctor pulls out the sonic screwdriver killing himself, the girl and the monster in the process.

The Doctor pulls his sonic screwdriver out on Amy and melts a minute later in the episode?

significant or..?

I think that was to show that the duplicate Amy was made of Flesh, just like the Gangers, since the same thing killed them.
Original post by 04ghicks
Probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but...

What's with tonight's episode being billed as the series finale?

It's a mid-series finale :smile:
Reply 4754
But he would know because when the Doctor is dropping them off in Cardiff after they've defeated the master then he says 'the face of boe they called me' so obviously they called him that in the time agency years ago and so in the future he'd named himself the face of boe because he used to be called it in the time agency?

maybe he was just more concerned with other things going on at the time so didn't react when he heard his old nickname. or maybe he told the doctor that it was his old nickname because he didn't make the connection at first but he did later.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by boba
maybe he was just more concerned with other things going on at the time so didn't react when he heard his old nickname. or maybe he told the doctor that it was his old nickname because he didn't make the connection at first but he did later.

Yeah I rewatched it, he was like into the conversation because they were getting the rocket started to fly and jack says 'you might not be the only one' - Martha says - 'think of what the face of be said' so Jack did hear it I'm sure. Also how would the Face of Boe have known something that'll start at the end of time and then go back billions of years because that's when he says 'You are not alone' so Jack would have known this :wink:
Original post by Gemini92
I think that was to show that the duplicate Amy was made of Flesh, just like the Gangers, since the same thing killed them.

The point is there was 2 sonic screwdrivers one in the blown up factory and the Doctor had another. Hmm maybe he has more :P
Reply 4757
The point is there was 2 sonic screwdrivers one in the blown up factory and the Doctor had another. Hmm maybe he has more :P

I thought it was a duplicate sonic screwdriver that was created with the Ganger Doctor.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
There were two Doctors. If you watch the episode Rebel Flesh, he says it's like something was scanning him back in the flesh pool. It's not only the body that is cloned.

Fail :-( I thought I was becoming somewhat Sherlock Holmes then :-(
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
A really nagging question I have is concerning an older episode. The End of Time, part two. Why did the Doctor not simply nip into the TARDIS and fetch Jack when Wilfred was stuck in the containment unit?

Though I guess that's a slight plot hole from a writing perspective since The Doctor did have to sacrifice himself and die in some way in order for Matt Smith to come along.

Don't worry, this has crossed my mind too ^_^

Rep'd because great minds think alike:P