The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christien

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Sorry I have to disagree! I love Pixar films, all of them, I just didn't think Ratatouille was one of the strongest. I felt it lacked some of the heart that others like WALL-E, Up, Finding Nemo have, and it didn't make up for it with the maturity of something like The Incredibles... hmm...

Really? I think it's one of the more mature and sophisticated of Pixar films. Also, it is directed by Brad Bird who is also responsible for The Incredibles. :p:

Sorry I have to disagree! I love Pixar films, all of them, I just didn't think Ratatouille was one of the strongest. I felt it lacked some of the heart that others like WALL-E, Up, Finding Nemo have, and it didn't make up for it with the maturity of something like The Incredibles... hmm...

Finding Nemo :love:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

All true but...

Spoiler

Original post by lukejoshjedi

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Phalangess, when are you gonna make the retrospective threads :biggrin:

I'll try and put one up soon, I'm just buried under tons of things that all need doing soon at the moment.

I'm going to watch Senna tonight, it's going to be the first time I've ever been to the cinema alone.
All true but...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Phalanges
I'll try and put one up soon, I'm just buried under tons of things that all need doing soon at the moment.

I'm going to watch Senna tonight, it's going to be the first time I've ever been to the cinema alone.

I did that for the first time today! It's actually much better. You can eat as much popcorn as you like, you're not obliged to talk to people in what is ostensibly a non-speaking activity, and it goes without saying that it's much more comfortable. It obviously helps if you're relatively asocial, but still. :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
Tbh i often prefer it alone.

I get to choose the film myself, i don't have to put up with people chatting away, i just get to sit and get absorbed.

Spoiler

Yeah all fair enough and yes we're going way too far into this lol

I did that for the first time today! It's actually much better. You can eat as much popcorn as you like, you're not obliged to talk to people in what is ostensibly a non-speaking activity, and it goes without saying that it's much more comfortable. It obviously helps if you're relatively asocial, but still. :yy:

Yeah, I figured it was probably a better idea to go it alone than drag along someone with only a passing interest in F1 who would be constantly saying "who's he?" and "how much longer till the crash?".
There are a few things I don't understand about the First Class film, and it's continuity.

The character of Emma Frost ... it's the same one as the one from Wolverine: Origins? Havok is the younger brother of Cyclops, yet he seems older than Cyclops as he was portrayed on Wolverine: Origins. Though I guess if we just ignore the Wolverine film...

I agree with Christien...

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Madjackismad

Spoiler

That was fast. :tongue:

Jake? Yeah. What do you think of the book in general? Initial thoughts?

Also, perhaps you can answer this..

Spoiler

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
There are a few things I don't understand about the First Class film, and it's continuity.

The character of Emma Frost ... it's the same one as the one from Wolverine: Origins? Havok is the younger brother of Cyclops, yet he seems older than Cyclops as he was portrayed on Wolverine: Origins. Though I guess if we just ignore the Wolverine film...

I agree with Christien...

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2254
Original post by MizzCupcakes

and Joseph Gordon-Levitt :love:

I haven't checked this thread in a while, so sorry I'm late in saying this: SQUEEE!

The thing I like about JG-L is that he's been in such a wide range of films.

Original post by Madjackismad
Ratatouille is criminally overlooked. It's a fantastic film, easily one of Pixar's strongest. It's one of their most distinctive films with a pretty rich story.

The scene where Anton Ego eats the ratatouille and it makes him have a flash back to being a child is absolutely brilliant.

I'm planning on doing a film binge when I'm home all aloney from Tuesday to Thursday this week. I'm not sure what to watch other than Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I haven't seen it in ages and I can't remember if I like it), Inception (because it's brilliant), various Pixar/Studio Ghibli films and Mean Girls (because it's a cult classic film :biggrin:).
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
That was fast. :tongue:

Jake? Yeah. What do you think of the book in general? Initial thoughts?

Also, perhaps you can answer this..

Spoiler

I haven't finished yet. Just finished the first chapter of The Way Station (I think). So far it's alright, not spectacular. I know the first is considered to be fairly weak (but not compared to the last 3?) but I can understand it's more like a prologue to the main story.

I honestly can't remember. It was two or three years ago since I read The Stand. You'll probably notice an immediate theme which is comparable to Lost when you read the book, but I don't want to spoil it. Also, apparently the tower on the island in Just Cause 2 (and this is the Lost island easter egg) is inspired by The Dark Tower. Do Japanese WW2 soldiers reside in King's Dark Tower? :p:
Original post by Pi!
I haven't checked this thread in a while, so sorry I'm late in saying this: SQUEEE!

The thing I like about JG-L is that he's been in such a wide range of films.

The scene where Anton Ego eats the ratatouille and it makes him have a flash back to being a child is absolutely brilliant.

I'm planning on doing a film binge when I'm home all aloney from Tuesday to Thursday this week. I'm not sure what to watch other than Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I haven't seen it in ages and I can't remember if I like it), Inception (because it's brilliant), various Pixar/Studio Ghibli films and Mean Girls (because it's a cult classic film :biggrin:).

Yeah, Anton Ego was brilliant in general. Peter O Toole gave amazing voice work.
A heads-up. Channel 4 film listing for tonight.

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 18:30 - 22:15
X-Men: Last Stand, 22:15 - 0:15
Oldboy, 0:15
I saw X-Men: First Class yesterday :drool: It was sooooo awesome! I'm going to see it again next week. Gonna bye a discount card since I'm going to see at least 5 other films coming up during these three months! Can't wait for them to premier!

oh and I dunno if anyone already has posted this but this made me chuckle:

Original post by MizzCupcakes
I saw X-Men: First Class yesterday :drool: It was sooooo awesome! I'm going to see it again next week. Gonna bye a discount card since I'm going to see at least 5 other films coming up during these three months! Can't wait for them to premier!

oh and I dunno if anyone already has posted this but this made me chuckle:

Discount card? :2euk48l:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending