The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5220
Original post by G8D
You should be able to find an HTC IME mod for your phone, though I can't help you locate it.

thanks will try swiftkey and see how it goes
Reply 5221
What is the difference between voice command and voice talk on the Samsung Galaxy S2?

I've been messing about with them and I'm not sure how to use them, or how far I can use them and I'm not sure what happens when you choose "Driving Mode"and stuff.

I asked google, I didn't get anything useful.

Thanks...and I love my phone, my first smartphone. I'm not longer a smartphone virgin.
Original post by G8D
It's hardly essential for most users.

Did I say anything of the sort? It would seem pretty essential if you have important messages you can't afford to lose.
I can't quite decide between procuring the HTC Desire S or paying slightly more and getting the HTC Desire HD. I know the former is the newer model, but the 4.3" screen of the Desire HD is rather attractive.
Original post by Trimeresurus
I can't quite decide between procuring the HTC Desire S or paying slightly more and getting the HTC Desire HD. I know the former is the newer model, but the 4.3" screen of the Desire HD is rather attractive.

Side by side, the colour and sharpness of the Desire S' screen is miles ahead of the DHD.
Original post by mikeyd85

Side by side, the colour and sharpness of the Desire S' screen is miles ahead of the DHD.

This. But even with that I wouldn't trade my 4.3 inch screen for that. I'd personally go the DHD but that's because screen size is very important to me plus the bootloader is locked don the Desire S.
Original post by yoyo462001
This. But even with that I wouldn't trade my 4.3 inch screen for that. I'd personally go the DHD but that's because screen size is very important to me plus the bootloader is locked don the Desire S.

Aye. It's just too big for me. Got too used to Hero sized phones - don't like those big monsters out there!

I'm hoping the bootloader gets retrospectively unlocked on the Desire S, what with HTC saying they won't lock them any more. Though honestly, there's not much I'm missing at the moment. It's more for Ice Cream if there's no official release....

Still, for £25 you can buy a PAYG XTC Clip which will unlock the bootloader if I ever get that desperate. :smile:
Original post by G8D
I reckon I could settle for a 4" screen.

I think 3.7 maybe 3.9 is as big as I'll go unless there's a really compelling argument to go bigger. Still... you could get a Dell Streak! :rofl: You ever seen anyone make a call on one of those? Wow!
Original post by G8D
I reckon I could settle for a 4" screen.

Same. I have small hands and they're not too great for reaching the opposite side of the screen with my thumbs. :redface:
Original post by AugustWestie
Same. I have small hands and they're not too great for reaching the opposite side of the screen with my thumbs. :redface:

My indecision with regards to the Desire S and Desire HD is largely due to the size of my hands. I have absolutely monstrous hands and I'm just slightly worried that a 3.7" screen would be too small for me to use effectively and/or comfortably.

I think 3.7 maybe 3.9 is as big as I'll go unless there's a really compelling argument to go bigger. Still... you could get a Dell Streak! :rofl: You ever seen anyone make a call on one of those? Wow!

So it can fit in your purse :tongue:

4.3 is perfect and I don't even have massive hands. I'm hoping we get some 4.5 inch screens because I reckon I could go one more size up. But yeah it depends on you as a person, everyones different. Boy the iphone 4 is 3.5 and most people are happy with that.

My next phone should be a Dell Streak or its refresh :colone:

:drool:
(edited 12 years ago)
What's the best app to use your phone as a webcam? Don't mind paying. Providing it is reasonably cheap though.

I think I might have seen a guy once, it looked rediculous and I almost fell over laughing

Sounds like you're quite new to Android, yes?

I can tell you one thing for sure - whatever you can do with your Hero now, is nothing compared to what you could do with your Hero. :wink: I loved my Hero when I had one, great little phone. Just upgraded to the Desire S and I'm hoping HTC retrospectively unlock the bootloader so I can have just as much fun with it! :colone:

An ENG boot loader might leak. Thats what happened with my DHD when there was no hope of an unlock. Then they unlocked it anyway. There is hope!
Also, heard on twitter today that HTC are releasing a Sense SDK...

I used to have a HTC Advantage. Now that was a lol for making calls on.

Also, best ROM I have had on my DHD is the one I currently have. RcMix Kingdon 3D. Its epic. Sense 3.0 on it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JChoudhry

Original post by JChoudhry
What's the best app to use your phone as a webcam? Don't mind paying. Providing it is reasonably cheap though.

I found IP Webcam to very reliable and it's free I think.
Is the virtual keyboard of the HTC Desire S relatively large? Or is there an alternative I could download that is?

I'm very tempted by the Desire S, but I'm rather worried I wouldn't be able to type terribly easily on a phone with a 3.7" screen due to my enormous hands.
Sounds like you're quite new to Android, yes?

Yes, relatively speaking I am, I have been using Windows Mobile and Symbian up until I got my HTC Hero :smile: I must admit, it is a great phone, just how everything is presented and the UI(with screen flicks, tilting, even voice for some of the apps) still amazes me :smile:

I can tell you one thing for sure - whatever you can do with your Hero now, is nothing compared to what you could do with your Hero. :wink: I loved my Hero when I had one, great little phone. Just upgraded to the Desire S and I'm hoping HTC retrospectively unlock the bootloader so I can have just as much fun with it! :colone:

True,as I am still discovering new things I could potentially do with it :smile: my phone is not rooted as of yet, so I may be slightly restrained from doing things :s-smilie:
Yes, unlocking the bootloader would enable you to boot a different OS on the phone rather than theone that's on it by default. I've also heard of succesful overclocking attempts being made on some HTC phones as well :smile:
Original post by Trimeresurus
Is the virtual keyboard of the HTC Desire S relatively large? Or is there an alternative I could download that is?

I'm very tempted by the Desire S, but I'm rather worried I wouldn't be able to type terribly easily on a phone with a 3.7" screen due to my enormous hands.

No, but the predictive text really does work very, very well. :smile:
No, but the predictive text really does work very, very well. :smile:

Hmm. Interesting. I suppose I could always purchase a capacitive stylus for longer messages, too.

Latest

Trending

Trending