The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
happy birthday! sounds like a great bday tbh... I hope you're eating cherry garcia Ilovechocolate :smile: ah well it's only a day, how are you going to celebrate it after the exams? who knows, you could like one of my good friends, have been celebrating your bday on the wrong date for many years! :P

ps

has anyone done pastest EMQ vol 3? trying to prepare for year 3 EMQ on monday, and finding these questions quite difficult - is this the level expected of 3rd years or finalists?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3801
Original post by Fission_Mailed
D'aawwwwe. :awesome: You could always leave the pic in your sig on screen as protection.

Thats even creepier, jeez I need to update this thing, I haven't been on in months and all these new young upstarts have moved in all wit' there 'tudes!

The forum isn't the same as it was *shakes head*
Original post by buzzcat
happy birthday! sounds like a great bday tbh... I hope you're eating cherry garcia Ilovechocolate :smile: ah well it's only a day, how are you going to celebrate it after the exams? who knows, you could like one of my good friends, have been celebrating your bday on the wrong date for many years! :P

ps

has anyone done pastest EMQ vol 3? trying to prepare for year 3 EMQ on monday, and finding these questions quite difficult - is this the level expected of 3rd years or finalists?

I'm drunk and your sig is not helping.
Reply 3803
Original post by buzzcat

ps

Post a question?
Original post by fatal
Thats even creepier, jeez I need to update this thing, I haven't been on in months and all these new young upstarts have moved in all wit' there 'tudes!

The forum isn't the same as it was *shakes head*

If you start waving your cane and banging on about the good old days I may well just go to bed.
Original post by fatal
I know the feeling :frown: for my OSCES I learnt so much useless stuff! Although I've never heard of the prothrombin time station??

It sounds like a pretty intensive OSCE for pre-clinical years, feel bad for you pal!

We have lab/clinical sessions throughout the year, from which they'll derive OSSE (switch the C for clinical to an S for 'skills') stations. Some of these sessions will contain useful things and some will be largely irrelevant.

I can get on board with some of the stuff we have to do in labs, such as measuring blood flow in the forearm (with a method that isn't exactly foolproof) and testing antibiotic sensitivity, but they shouldn't test us on the procedural aspects of it in a five minute OSSE station; they should test us on the principles in the written exams.

Testing us for testing sake. Memorising procedures such as those is mind-numbingly tedious.
Original post by fatal
I meant for the coming birthday :smile:

Ugh I can't believe I'm on this forum at 1am on a Saturday night :frown: boyfriend is away with the army too and I can't sleep.

Thank you :smile: Snap. In Germany at the REME ski lodge being a climbing instructor for an AT trip. Yours?
Reply 3807
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Thank you :smile: Snap. In Germany at the REME ski lodge being a climbing instructor for an AT trip. Yours?

Mine goes away almost every other weekend training with his regiment, he's not far away so it's not that bad. Although the time of his main training this year and both our electives means we won't see each other from June 16th to the 1st Sept :frown:

Ahhh gotta love being an army girlfriend, get to put up with dirty kit all over the flat and rowdy soldiers every so often lol
Reply 3808
Original post by Kinkerz
We have lab/clinical sessions throughout the year, from which they'll derive OSSE (switch the C for clinical to an S for 'skills') stations. Some of these sessions will contain useful things and some will be largely irrelevant.

I can get on board with some of the stuff we have to do in labs, such as measuring blood flow in the forearm (with a method that isn't exactly foolproof) and testing antibiotic sensitivity, but they shouldn't test us on the procedural aspects of it in a five minute OSSE station; they should test us on the principles in the written exams.

Testing us for testing sake. Memorising procedures such as those is mind-numbingly tedious.

Sounds like it's in a different league to what we are tested on in Glasgow :frown: but let's not get into that.

Most of the stuff we memorize is useless in real medicine sadly.
Original post by fatal
Mine goes away almost every other weekend training with his regiment, he's not far away so it's not that bad. Although the time of his main training this year and both our electives means we won't see each other from June 16th to the 1st Sept :frown:

Ahhh gotta love being an army girlfriend, get to put up with dirty kit all over the flat and rowdy soldiers every so often lol

Indeed. Still can't get used to being saluted and ma'am'd on base. It's very weird. And mess dinners that last three hours. Hunting in vain for a dress that covers ankles and shoulder without making me look 50. Trying to decode all his acronyms. Being an army girlfriend is definitely something else.
Reply 3810
Indeed. Still can't get used to being saluted and ma'am'd on base. It's very weird. And mess dinners that last three hours. Hunting in vain for a dress that covers ankles and shoulder without making me look 50. Trying to decode all his acronyms. Being an army girlfriend is definitely something else.

haha I thought I was the only one struggling with all the nicknames and acronyms! Luckily I don't get to go on base yet cos my bf is only in the TA parachute regiment until he graduates then moving into full time army so I've got a little more time to get used to it!

I can't get over the feeling that they're all talking about their women on these weekends away...
Original post by fatal
haha I thought I was the only one struggling with all the nicknames and acronyms! Luckily I don't get to go on base yet cos my bf is only in the TA parachute regiment until he graduates then moving into full time army so I've got a little more time to get used to it!

I can't get over the feeling that they're all talking about their women on these weekends away...

Ah, I see. No, I was a Sandhurst Widow for a year and now I'm a proud Second Lieutenant (you get the same rank as them, hence the saluting). I want a wall chart of all the ranks and a guide book for the acronyms. The army was completely alien to me before I met him so I always feel like I'm playing catch up and doing the wrong thing. He had punishment phys once at Sandhurst because I held my knife and fork the 'wrong way' at a meal there. I think they do chat about us, but I think it's more proud than anything else. Whenever I visit they know all about me, which is weird. http://www.arrse.co.uk/ this is good to look stuff up. There's a families bit there too for wags.
Reply 3812
Ah, I see. No, I was a Sandhurst Widow for a year and now I'm a proud Second Lieutenant (you get the same rank as them, hence the saluting). I want a wall chart of all the ranks and a guide book for the acronyms. The army was completely alien to me before I met him so I always feel like I'm playing catch up and doing the wrong thing. He had punishment phys once at Sandhurst because I held my knife and fork the 'wrong way' at a meal there. I think they do chat about us, but I think it's more proud than anything else. Whenever I visit they know all about me, which is weird. http://www.arrse.co.uk/ this is good to look stuff up. There's a families bit there too for wags.

:s-smilie: I don't understand why he couldnt just be happy being a doctor, but nooooo he wants to throw himself outta planes in some war zone! sigh.

I know of one time my boyfriend told his pals something really really private about us and I went mental, but I think they spend so much time together (bromance?) that they need to share like that.

thanks for the website! It'll be nice to talk to other wags and families :biggrin:
Reply 3813
when are you away home?

Fission_Mailed
*grab*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3814
Yet another birthday spent revising for exams. Life as the eternal student has it's draw backs. Ah well, I know how to live, half a pot of half price Ben and Jerry's (Tesco's). Happy birthday to me :smile:

Happy birthday! Join the Gemmini club with Helenia & I. :five:
One day the rota gods may be kind - I've had runs of zero days for both my birthdays as a doctor! :biggrin:
Finals start tomorrow :eek3:

Absolute sense of impending doom right now :bawling:

:getmecoat: Back to work I suppose :sigh:
Reply 3816
Original post by crazylemon
Ok. I would have probably got 20-30% on that paper. **** ****idy **** ****.

Arse in gear time. Atleast I now have the fear...

I'm so curious as to what all those asterix's are hiding :smile:

How many more papers do you have?

Just finished the Race for Life in 32 minutes, pretty suprised seeing as I haven't ran in about 4 months and spent all that time at a desk getting fat and unfit. :colondollar:
question, so in the context of complications of MI the magic book says:

'persistant RVF presents with high neck veins and hepatic congestion. In the acute stage in sevear cases, Swan Ganz monitoring may show low left sided filling pressures with high right sided pressures. Cardiac output may be improved my plasma expansion in carefully regulated amounts, rather than diuretic therapy which may make the situation worse.'

Why? RHF would have low pulmonary perfusion and low return to the left side, is it saying sod the right heart and improve the systemic perfusion? surely expanding the plasma volume is not good for the failing heart, excluding hypovolemia? Or is it the potassium effects from diuresis??

Help please :smile:
Original post by crazylemon
I find that funny :rofl:

Although how did you hold it wrong? It wasn't a case of wrong piece of cutlery was it?

Though as a lefty everytime it got to a dish only using spoons It would be punishment time.Or dessert (I have a preference for using more of the cake fork than the spoon and again in the mirror image of what it should be)

Hope you had a good bday. Mine is in Easter so never gets celebrated properly, although last year we did a cocktail party. Tooo much absinthe...

I have a healthy repect for that particular beast vague memories of being carried home...
Original post by Helenia
That just makes it too easy! :p:

predictably he had syphillis probably worth screening for other nasties on board too...

Latest

Trending

Trending