The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Rosebery thread thing 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ice Fea
Very useful thread. I think I'll ask Roseberyy as first choice, though not having a proper oven will be a problem :\

Sounds like a good choice! In the Rosebery Wing, the "oven grills" cook nearly all oven foods. You're fine with stuff like chicken kievs, pizza, chips, lasange.. it's just things like frozen pies which are a bit harder.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 61
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'll be putting Roseberry as my first choice for accommodation, but the only thing worrying me is the 31 week contract. If I wanted to extend this to include the christmas and easter vacations too, would that definitely be possible?

Thanks!
Reply 62
Original post by zed's-dead
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'll be putting Roseberry as my first choice for accommodation, but the only thing worrying me is the 31 week contract. If I wanted to extend this to include the christmas and easter vacations too, would that definitely be possible?

Thanks!

Yep quite a few people extend their rent to cover the Easter and Xmas holidays (note that you usually cannot stay at Rosebery over the summer at student prices). The 31 week contract just means that you have more flexibility. You can let reception know a few weeks before the holidays come. The deadline for applying for vacation stay is heavily advertised around the hall and in the e-newsletter. Nothing to worry about there. If you do want official clarification, feel free to email [email protected]
Reply 63
Has anybody heard anything yet?
Hello. Rosebery is the hall I'm looking at, but, even though it's past the UG deadline, they still have not updated their website regarding the meals! It still says:

"IMPORTANT NEWS : Meal payment provision will be changing. All students choosing Rosebery as an accommodation option will be emailed with the change. You will then be given a chance to amend your accommodation choices should you choose."

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the meals? Will students be forced to buy meals like at Carr-Saunders. Are the room rates currently listed the final ones (whether meals are included or not I mean).

Second question: It seems very difficult to determine the kitchen situation at Rosebery.

Are their stoves in every kitchen in both wings? Or are some of the cheapest rooms on floors that only have microwaves and fridges? I do not mind a cramped kitchen, but there really needs to be a stove to be able to make real food.

Thanks
Reply 65
Original post by socialscienceguy
Hello. Rosebery is the hall I'm looking at, but, even though it's past the UG deadline, they still have not updated their website regarding the meals! It still says:

"IMPORTANT NEWS : Meal payment provision will be changing. All students choosing Rosebery as an accommodation option will be emailed with the change. You will then be given a chance to amend your accommodation choices should you choose."

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the meals? Will students be forced to buy meals like at Carr-Saunders. Are the room rates currently listed the final ones (whether meals are included or not I mean).

Second question: It seems very difficult to determine the kitchen situation at Rosebery.

Are their stoves in every kitchen in both wings? Or are some of the cheapest rooms on floors that only have microwaves and fridges? I do not mind a cramped kitchen, but there really needs to be a stove to be able to make real food.

Thanks

In response to your first question, we have now been consulted on our opinion but do not know the outcome of the discussions regarding meal provision. As soon as we hear anything concrete, we will update the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/pages/-LSE-Rosebery-Hall-2011-2012-/177589728956200 or post something on here. It does look as if we will be heading in a similar direction to Carr Saunders (where a certain amount of money from our rent is put on a card for us to spend every week and the card can then be topped up) although as far as I know this is yet to be confirmed. Breakfasts will no longer be served.

In response to your second question, all kitchens have hobs, fridges, freezers and microwaves. All floors have kitchens (except the basement where the rent is cheaper) but you are allowed to cook in any kitchen in the hall. I often find myself cooking on other floors as the kitchen on my floor can be busy. It's not really a problem (and probably won't be a problem if people start using the canteen more regularly next year).

I hope that helps!
Reply 66
Original post by Hollie -
In response to your first question, we have now been consulted on our opinion but do not know the outcome of the discussions regarding meal provision. As soon as we hear anything concrete, we will update the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/pages/-LSE-Rosebery-Hall-2011-2012-/177589728956200 or post something on here. It does look as if we will be heading in a similar direction to Carr Saunders (where a certain amount of money from our rent is put on a card for us to spend every week and the card can then be topped up) although as far as I know this is yet to be confirmed. Breakfasts will no longer be served.

In response to your second question, all kitchens have hobs, fridges, freezers and microwaves. All floors have kitchens (except the basement where the rent is cheaper) but you are allowed to cook in any kitchen in the hall. I often find myself cooking on other floors as the kitchen on my floor can be busy. It's not really a problem (and probably won't be a problem if people start using the canteen more regularly next year).

I hope that helps!
So they're basically forcing you to use the canteen, yet cutting back on the meals they provide?
Reply 67
Original post by Kneechuh
So they're basically forcing you to use the canteen, yet cutting back on the meals they provide?

Nothing is confirmed yet, but this looks to be the case. I personally will not be very happy about it as I prefer to cook my own food, however the decision is with Residences (not the social committee). Inevitably, the change will suit some people more than others. I should have said earlier that if you'd like to speak to someone from Residences about this, you can contact Rachael at [email protected] (http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSEServices/residentialServices/whosWho/ResidencesManagementTeam/home.aspx).
Thanks for the quick information!

I'm not a big fan of being forced to buy meals, BUT, if the prices are what is listed on the accommodation website, it's still one of the cheapest options for the halls.

"Single - £117.00 to £144.50 per week"

Do you know if this is the final price? If I have this confirmed I will go ahead and make Rosebery my first choice (and enjoy the included meals).

Also, of course it is not your fault, but if you happen to speak to the people in charge, please pass on how unprofessional it is they haven't made their decision yet!
Reply 69
No worries - sorry I can't be of more help!

Again for full clarification I'd recommend emailing either Rosebery, Accommodation or Residences, however I'm pretty sure those are the final prices. They seem to fit with the % increase we have been told. Rosebery has always been the cheapest hall (along with Carr Saunders) and from my understanding, is set to remain this way.

Good luck with your application!
Hey, sorry, two more questions.

If I apply as a postgraduate, and note that I would like to be put in the cheaper Rosebery wing, do they take that into account? Or do they pretty much automatically put you in the more expensive wing. My fear is applying for Rosebery and being given the more expensive wing because I am a postgrad, and then it will end up being more expensive than say, Sidney Webb.

Second, if I was to get a more expensive room at Rosebery, do you think it will be easy to swap it for a room in the cheaper wing? or maybe a room at Sidney Webb? In other words, are Rosebery rooms easy to swap because they are popular?

Thanks for all your help.
Reply 71
Hey, sorry, two more questions.

If I apply as a postgraduate, and note that I would like to be put in the cheaper Rosebery wing, do they take that into account? Or do they pretty much automatically put you in the more expensive wing. My fear is applying for Rosebery and being given the more expensive wing because I am a postgrad, and then it will end up being more expensive than say, Sidney Webb.

Second, if I was to get a more expensive room at Rosebery, do you think it will be easy to swap it for a room in the cheaper wing? or maybe a room at Sidney Webb? In other words, are Rosebery rooms easy to swap because they are popular?

Thanks for all your help.

Hey, feel free to ask as many questions as you have!

I'm not really sure how much thought they put into individual applications. I only say this because when I applied, I listed my first "priority" as having a single room and I was given a double. It can't hurt to mention your preference though. As a PG, you are most likely to be placed in the Myd Wing. Not many PGs get placed in the Rosebery Wing.

Rosebery is a popular hall and any room you are given here will be in demand. You therefore shouldn't find it too hard to arrange a room swap in the first few weeks. I've spoken about this quite a few times in this thread, so have a scroll through if you'd like more info.
But can you swap a more expensive Myd wing room for a cheaper one in the Rosebery wing easily?

It's a pretty big difference in price for a international student like me!
Reply 73
But can you swap a more expensive Myd wing room for a cheaper one in the Rosebery wing easily?

It's a pretty big difference in price for a international student like me!

Sure, there are a lot of people who would prefer to pay more for a quieter PG environment. As I said before, there are a lot of swaps that go on within the first few weeks of term (intra and inter hall). As long as you advertise your room effectively, you should be able to find someone to swap with.
Reply 74
Meals

Rosebery Avenue is a catered hall which provides an evening meal service seven days a week. The dining hall offers a great choice of fresh home cooked hot and cold foods, with vegetarian alternatives always available.

Included in your fees is £15 per week which can be spent in the Rosebery Restaurant on a "use it or loose it basis." Any additional spend over £15 per week can be paid for by using your LSE sQuid Card.

Please note: The average cost of an evening meal is £4, which is a discount of approx 25% on an equivalent meal served on LSE's main campus, so your hall fee provides for about 4 evening meals a week.

There are limited facilities on each floor for students who wish to prepare hot drinks and snacks as well as a number of vending machines on site.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/lifeAtLSE/accommodation/forStudents/residentialHalls/roseberyHall/roseberyHallHomePage.aspx
Reply 75
hey

does anyone know when Rosebery is giving out their offers..:confused:
I have applied two months ago and still no reply...
Reply 76
Original post by sschu
hey

does anyone know when Rosebery is giving out their offers..:confused:
I have applied two months ago and still no reply...

I don't know when they give out offers, but (if it helps) I haven't received an offer yet and committee members are guaranteed accommo.
Reply 77
Original post by Hollie -
I don't know when they give out offers, but (if it helps) I haven't received an offer yet and committee members are guaranteed accommo.

....it helps a little :wink:
Anyone knows what is the difference between the quality of the single rooms?

I am given these options and have no idea what to choose:

Single room price band A- £144.55
Single room price band B- £136.15
Single room price band C- £124.25
Single room price band D- £117.25
It seems I found an answer - band C and D reffer to the Rosbery Ave wing, while A and B to the Myddelton Wing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending