The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbowbex
Wow. I can get my hands flat on the floor :colondollar: I stretch pretty much daily though :tongue: for me being unstretchy is not being able to do more than just toug the floor

Oddly enough I'm very flexible sideways, just not forwards...
Original post by yawn
You 'wear' a Rosary? :frown:

I've done a bit of research, out of curiosity as to whether there is a difference between the Catholic and Anglican rosaries, as I had assumed they were the same visually, even though the prayers might be different. I found this which I hope is both interesting and informative for you all. :smile:

Source: ehow.com

Yeah, as in around my neck like a necklace, or I have it in my pocket hanging out a bit. It makes me feel safe, guides me in times of hardship and brings happiness when I need it the most. I made a cross a while ago, but I lost it in my bedroom :frown:

Thanks for that :yy:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4202
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I wear a rosary so that I have one with me at all times. I feel safer that way :o:

Rosaries are not items of adornment, unlike crucifixes. Isn't it possible to keep it with you at all times in your pocket or bag?

I'm not admonishing you, my friend, but there is a tendency to demean its purpose and appearing to make it a fashion item by wearing one around one's neck instead of placing it in one's hands and praying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4203
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oddly enough I'm very flexible sideways, just not forwards...

I just can't stretch sideways, only forwards same as rainbowbex. We must have different strengths and flexibility in certain muscle groups rather than others.

I bet you can do amazing cartwheels! :biggrin:

I did just that! Fingers crossed they'll help

Trust me...they are extremely comfortable no matter how long you wear them for. I wouldn't wear them whilst doing cartwheels though. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
I just can't stretch sideways, only forwards same as rainbowbex. We must have different strengths and flexibility in certain muscle groups rather than others.

Trust me...they are extremely comfortable no matter how long you wear them for. I wouldn't wear them whilst doing cartwheels though. :wink:

I can't do cartwheels due to my intense inability to balance...I manage to fall over when standing perfectly still, so moving and being upside down do not help :sadnod:
Original post by yawn

I'm not as stretchy sideways, but I can cartwheel. I'd love to be able to tumble and a few other slightly more gymnastic stunts :tongue:

I can't do cartwheels due to my intense inability to balance...I manage to fall over when standing perfectly still, so moving and being upside down do not help :sadnod:

practise makes perfect? I can only do them starting on my left foot, spend time practising with the right foot first (as it's a bit spazzy for me to start on my left, given as I'm meant to be right side dominant)
I'm not as stretchy sideways, but I can cartwheel. I'd love to be able to tumble and a few other slightly more gymnastic stunts :tongue:
practise makes perfect? I can only do them starting on my left foot, spend time practising with the right foot first (as it's a bit spazzy for me to start on my left, given as I'm meant to be right side dominant)

I could practice, but this summer when I'm not at work I'm teaching myself guitar!
I could practice, but this summer when I'm not at work I'm teaching myself guitar!

It only takes a few mins a day! x
Original post by yawn
Rosaries are not items of adornment, unlike crucifixes. Isn't it possible to keep it with you at all times in your pocket or bag?

I'm not admonishing you, my friend, but there is a tendency to demean its purpose and appearing to make it a fashion item by wearing one around one's neck instead of placing it in one's hands and praying.

Oh I know it's not supposed to be worn. I don't have a regular pocket that I can keep it in (I'd forget to move it). I think there is one in one of my bags :yes:

In my case it doesn't come across like that, since it's very well hidden and if I'm praying it, it comes off my neck and into my hands. I did have a fake fashion rosary from Topshop which was a lot more obvious and more a tool for annoying the CU but it broke, so I don't wear that anymore :nah:
It only takes a few mins a day! x

True, but with 8 hour shifts 5 days a week, my minutes (and my muscles) are limited!
Reply 4210
cartwheels

rainbowbex
cartwheels

I have to laugh about our 'cartwheels chat.' :wink:

My party piece is all about cartwheels. At social gatherings I encourage people to perform whatever is their speciality, whether it be singing, reciting poetry, telling a joke...you get the idea.

When it's my turn, I get them to anticipate my party piece by beginning with an exaggerated 'warm-up', limbering and bouncing on my feets, waving my arms around, twisting my torso, bending and flexing my neck...this can take a good two minutes. I then tell them to clear a path; they move to either side of the room excitedly expecting great things. My face is contorted with feigned concentration; I make my run-up and...collapse in a heap!!

It never fails to amuse because I have no inhibitions about looking silly if it's entertaining others. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
I have to laugh about our 'cartwheels chat.' :wink:

My party piece is all about cartwheels. At social gatherings I encourage people to perform whatever is their speciality, whether it be singing, reciting poetry, telling a joke...you get the idea.

When it's my turn, I get them to anticipate my party piece by beginning with an exaggerated 'warm-up', limbering and bouncing on my feets, waving my arms around, twisting my torso, bending and flexing my neck...this can take a good two minutes. I then tell them to clear a path; they move to either side of the room excitedly expecting great things. My face is contorted with feigned concentration; I make my run-up and...collapse in a heap!!

It never fails to amuse because I have no inhibitions about looking silly if it's entertaining others. :biggrin:

In my job interview we got asked what our "special talent" was. I said it was being able to pick up a flat piece of paper from the floor with my mouth with only my feet touching the floor...
Reply 4212
In my job interview we got asked what our "special talent" was. I said it was being able to pick up a flat piece of paper from the floor with my mouth with only my feet touching the floor...

Wow...now that's impressive. Maybe you should apply to go on 'Britian's Got Talent1. :smile:
Original post by yawn
Wow...now that's impressive. Maybe you should apply to go on 'Britian's Got Talent1. :smile:

:rofl: nah it's just from years of playing the cereal box game
Reply 4214
:rofl: nah it's just from years of playing the cereal box game

Cereal box game? How does that go?
Reply 4216

Thanks for the link. That game is on my party repertoire from now on. :smile:
Original post by yawn
Thanks for the link. That game is on my party repertoire from now on. :smile:

It is brilliant! Girls in general seem better at it, but I do know a 42 year old guy who can do it...
Reply 4218
It is brilliant! Girls in general seem better at it, but I do know a 42 year old guy who can do it...

More males suffer from dyspraxia. It's the whole balance thing and the part of the brain involved, I think.

Have a look at guys trying to do aerobic exercises...they trip, they stumble, they lose their sense of rhythm and get hopelessly tied up in confusion. Bless them. :smile:
Original post by yawn
More males suffer from dyspraxia. It's the whole balance thing and the part of the brain involved, I think.

Have a look at guys trying to do aerobic exercises...they trip, they stumble, they lose their sense of rhythm and get hopelessly tied up in confusion. Bless them. :smile:

And jeans lend much less well to the exercise than skirts or dresses! Once tried it in skinny jeans...NEVER AGAIN!

Latest

Trending

Trending