The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geraldto
hey just wanna check. usually if you book 40 weeks of accommodation, it will cover Christmas & Easter breaks. What do you do with all your personal belongings when you return to S'pore in June (for the summer break)? Do you purchase storage from somewhere or you bring all the stuff back to S'pore and back again in Oct? Thank you!
---
Exeter LLB Oct '11

My college had vacation storage space for international students so I used to leave my stuff there over summer.

However there was one summer where I did use a storage company (which was pretty good - they delivered cardboard boxes to me, came to my old address to pick up my boxes, stored them over the summer, then delivered them to my new address when I came back), but they can charge a fair amount for storage...

It's not really feasible to bring everything back to Singapore and back again, unless you have very little stuff or are willing to pay for express shipping (and this really won't be cheap). And even shipping by sea (which takes 6-8 weeks) can be quite expensive if you have a lot of stuff!
Reply 2601
Hi guys,

I have an offer from the University of Manchester for Law and I'm still deciding between it, US and NUS. I'd like to know if it's possible to pay the tuition fees for UK in installments as that'll have a LARGE impact on which uni I'll eventually choose.

They do mention this, but they don't give details.
Setting up a Direct Debit for payment of tuition fees
One third of your tuition fees must be paid at registration but the following two thirds will be collected directly from your bank account by Direct Debit.

Does anyone know if this installment plan includes housing or if it's only for the tuition fees? And also, how exactly will the remaining two thirds be collected (i.e. monthly etc)?

Would you say that a large number of Singaporean students, who've studied law, have remained in the UK? How plausible is this?
Original post by geraldto
hey just wanna check. usually if you book 40 weeks of accommodation, it will cover Christmas & Easter breaks. What do you do with all your personal belongings when you return to S'pore in June (for the summer break)? Do you purchase storage from somewhere or you bring all the stuff back to S'pore and back again in Oct? Thank you!
---
Exeter LLB Oct '11

Well, you have a few options.

1) Bring your stuff back to SG. This is assuming you don't have that much stuff.

2) Store in a storage facility. You can share a storage place with a few other people and save on the storage cost.

3) Store in a house - a friend/relative you know, or the house you're living in the next year. Sometimes, the tenant might let you put your stuff in the house before your contract starts, especially if it's a student house that's going to be empty over summer anyway. Worth asking, and probably the most convenient choice.
Reply 2603
What are Manchester's Law credentials in the eyes of Singaporean employers?
How would a LLB from Manchester be treated?

Original post by Remy-Rae
What are you studying? I know lots of medics who have stayed instead of going back to SG. Oh, I have one friend who has a degree in Actuarial Science, graduated for a few years now and is working in London. :smile:

Actuarial science is so difficult. Medics too.

I'm a interactive designer.
Reply 2605
Original post by jjo92
What are Manchester's Law credentials in the eyes of Singaporean employers?
How would a LLB from Manchester be treated?

IMO a law deg. from NUS is more prestigious than one from Manchester especially in the eyes of S'porean employers.
Original post by volante
IMO a law deg. from NUS is more prestigious than one from Manchester especially in the eyes of S'porean employers.

Does studying LLM make a difference in finding a job compared to having a LLB?
Original post by stacialexis
Anyone gotten their CAS no yet?

No and I really need it soon because the goddamn visa app takes so long!!
Original post by kaiping_lin
No and I really need it soon because the goddamn visa app takes so long!!

Do the funds for the bank account first! It takes like 28 days!
Reply 2609
Original post by volante

I'm not specifically looking for a comparison between NUS and Manchester in the eyes of Singaporean employers, but wondering about Manchester's standing. Have graduates been able to secure a job in Singapore etc

Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this question:

Would you say that a large number of Singaporean students, who've studied law, have remained in the UK? How plausible is this?

Reply 2610
Original post by stacialexis
Do the funds for the bank account first! It takes like 28 days!

I recall reading, somewhere in manchester uni's site, that, as Singapore is a low-risk country, Singaporeans can skip the *proving bank funds* bit, but that we've got to be ready to show it if they ask us at a later stage (which defeats the purpose....), so is this true?

@kaiping_lin:

I thought we could only begin to apply for the visa 3 months prior to our course start date?
Reply 2611
Original post by jjo92
I recall reading, somewhere in manchester uni's site, that, as Singapore is a low-risk country, Singaporeans can skip the *proving bank funds* bit, but that we've got to be ready to show it if they ask us at a later stage (which defeats the purpose....), so is this true?

@kaiping_lin:

I thought we could only begin to apply for the visa 3 months prior to our course start date?

Nope, it has been changed to 28 days...my friend who left in Jan this year had to prove that the required money was in the bank for at least 3 months it has been changed to 28 days (not sure why though)

and i just received my CAS number!! go check ur inboxes guys!
Reply 2612
Original post by Pioneer5
Nope, it has been changed to 28 days...my friend who left in Jan this year had to prove that the required money was in the bank for at least 3 months it has been changed to 28 days (not sure why though)

and i just received my CAS number!! go check ur inboxes guys!

You mean to say that this doesn't hold?:

New 'low-risk' countries as defined by UKBA
The first stage of the visa application process has been simplified for citizens of the countries that UKBA has specified:

Argentina
Australia
British National Overseas
Brunei
Canada
Chile
Croatia
Hong Kong
Japan
Mexico
New Zealand
Singapore
South Korea
Trinidad and Tobago
United States of America

You do not have to submit financial and other supporting documents with your passport and application form at the beginning of the visa application process. However, UKBA can ask you to provide the documents at a later stage, for example, if you are asked to attend an interview. You may have to produce the documents when you land in the UK so make sure you have all the correct original documents available in your hand luggage when you are travelling.

Not that it matters much anyway seeing that we'll need to have the financial info at hand if we're asked for it later.

This is from here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/apply/pbs/offer-holders/ btw.

And talk about false alarm DX I expect that the CAS numbers will be emailed at different times for different universities.
Reply 2613
Original post by jjo92
You mean to say that this doesn't hold?:

Not that it matters much anyway seeing that we'll need to have the financial info at hand if we're asked for it later.

This is from here http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/apply/pbs/offer-holders/ btw.

And talk about false alarm DX I expect that the CAS numbers will be emailed at different times for different universities.

hope this helps

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/evidence/
Reply 2614

Oh well, I guess it would be wiser to follow UKBA's own website than individual uni's info. Thanks :smile:
Hey, just wondering, anybody here going to do PPE at manchester in september this year?

(;
finally parents paid deposit.. just start to wait for cas number.. hopefully things go fine..

I resign from job.. 2 month notice.. and now the boss is squeezing me dry :'( the torture... making me work insane..7 weeks to go.. T____T
Reply 2617
Hey guys,

Any idea which uni's graduates do S'pore law firms prefer between KCL & University of Bristol?
and why?
Original post by volante
Hey guys,

Any idea which uni's graduates do S'pore law firms prefer between KCL & University of Bristol?
and why?

this might sound superficial but to say you studied in london - woah
Original post by volante
Hey guys,

and why?

They'd prefer a a first class degree that is allowed to practice in SG. London is **** expensive. For the same price, 160pounds, you can rent a room the size of a shoebox in london whereas the same amount can rent you a penthouse in bham. My friend is a living example.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest