The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mcfilly
I need a B in this exam to get a B over all I am dreading it!
It's just horrible cuz this exam is pretty much determining whether or not I get into uni haha!

Which parts of the module are you finding most difficult?

Aww don't worry, I'm sure the work will pay off! Besides it will all be over in a just over a week! What course have you applied for?

Genetics mostly. Epistasis/Species/Genetic Drift and all that jazz! It's slowly going in but when I first started revising I felt like I went over one concept and then another one, but then I couldn't remember the first thing I went over. I think getting 'in the flow' of revision and finding what works for you counts for a lot.
Original post by wilsea05
yeah for a B i need 39/150 which is an E haha, but for an A i need 99/150 which is a C, but still dreading this exam... i NEED an A for my course

just wish i'd done better in my practicals, then the pressure would be almost completely off!

Hello, fellow Sheffield Firmer :wink:

Similar position then, I guess I'm lucky that General Studies is included in my offer :colondollar: A C seems manageable though :smile: Ahhh practicals . . . I completely failed mine in Chemistry last year, bad times! Did you not have the chance to redo it?
Reply 502
Original post by fortunecookie
Hello, fellow Sheffield Firmer :wink:

Similar position then, I guess I'm lucky that General Studies is included in my offer :colondollar: A C seems manageable though :smile: Ahhh practicals . . . I completely failed mine in Chemistry last year, bad times! Did you not have the chance to redo it?

what course have you applied for? and where have you applied for accomodation (if you have yet?)

i got 33/40 in bio practicals last year, only managed 31/40 this year though. i swear, the experiments my school chose didn't even work! 2 of the evaluatives were on the ecology module too, and i just cbaaaaa with ecology, i always put the wrong answer.
oh well tho. what have you got in the practicals for bio?
and what exam board you doing for chem?
Reply 503
Aww don't worry, I'm sure the work will pay off! Besides it will all be over in a just over a week! What course have you applied for?

Genetics mostly. Epistasis/Species/Genetic Drift and all that jazz! It's slowly going in but when I first started revising I felt like I went over one concept and then another one, but then I couldn't remember the first thing I went over. I think getting 'in the flow' of revision and finding what works for you counts for a lot.

Oh my god - just over a week! don't say that haha! I have applied to do Psychology at Surrey!! You?

Yeh i know what you mean - I don't know which bits i find most difficult really.. it just seems like there is soo much to bloody learn haha! I haven't really looked at chi square tests yet - I did them in psychology so i kind of know a bit - but eek, should really check them out!!
wilsea05
what course have you applied for? and where have you applied for accomodation (if you have yet?)

i got 33/40 in bio practicals last year, only managed 31/40 this year though. i swear, the experiments my school chose didn't even work! 2 of the evaluatives were on the ecology module too, and i just cbaaaaa with ecology, i always put the wrong answer.
oh well tho. what have you got in the practicals for bio?
and what exam board you doing for chem?

I've applied for Chinese Studies with German. I've applied for Self-Catered at Endcliffe, but to be honest I don't mind if I end up in Ranmoor. How about you?

I got 36/40 this year. I can't remember last years, it must have been about 30 though. Oh tell me about it. We did one with horse blood that didn't work at all and another one with a capillary tube thing. We ended up redoing both :/

I actually dropped Chem after AS but I did OCR.

Mcfilly
Oh my god - just over a week! don't say that haha! I have applied to do Psychology at Surrey!! You?

Yeh i know what you mean - I don't know which bits i find most difficult really.. it just seems like there is soo much to bloody learn haha! I haven't really looked at chi square tests yet - I did them in psychology so i kind of know a bit - but eek, should really check them out!!

Aha sorry :wink: I have a countdown on my phone to scare me into revising! Chinese and German at Sheffield if all goes to plan! :smile:

Yeahh, the amount of content seems to grow A LOT with each module! I hate that too, seems like every topic people mention is on my 'hate' list! Is chi squared the one for working out whether it is down to chance that the results are different?
Reply 505
If I dont get a C in this...no more medicine for me...:frown::frown::frown:
How do you know what your practical marks are worth in UMS?
Reply 507
Yeh thats the chi squared test!

Wow that is a pretty cool course! never met anyone doing chinese! awesome! What do you need - grade wise? and what other a levels do you do?
Reply 508
Original post by Wor Carroll
How do you know what your practical marks are worth in UMS?

the practicals are out of 60 ums marks
the january exams are out of 90
the summer exams are out of 150

:smile:
Reply 509
I've applied for Chinese Studies with German. I've applied for Self-Catered at Endcliffe, but to be honest I don't mind if I end up in Ranmoor. How about you?

I got 36/40 this year. I can't remember last years, it must have been about 30 though. Oh tell me about it. We did one with horse blood that didn't work at all and another one with a capillary tube thing. We ended up redoing both :/

Aha sorry :wink: I have a countdown on my phone to scare me into revising! Chinese and German at Sheffield if all goes to plan! :smile:

Yeahh, the amount of content seems to grow A LOT with each module! I hate that too, seems like every topic people mention is on my 'hate' list! Is chi squared the one for working out whether it is down to chance that the results are different?

Wow that is a pretty cool course! never met anyone doing chinese! awesome! What do you need - grade wise? and what other a levels do you do?
Reply 510

yeah self catered en-suite at endcliffe. yeah i did the capillary tube one, didnt work at all haha. ah fair enough
Original post by Mcfilly
the practicals are out of 60 ums marks
the january exams are out of 90
the summer exams are out of 150

:smile:

I meant how can you work out what your mark out of 40 in the practicals is worth out of 60 in UMS.
Original post by Mcfilly

Phew - at least I understand that :wink: Aha, I think we are a rare breed! ABB, but luckily it includes general studies. I do Maths, German GS as well as Biology (obviously)
Reply 513
O M G!! genetics will be the sole reason i Fail this exam!!!

I get the concept of epistasis and i know how to draw diagrama n predict ratios,, i just cant do the questions that ask you to draw the mechanism for crossing over in homologous chromosomes AND predict change in phenotypic ratio!

I mean HOW are we supposed to know what allele to cross over...
Reply 514
Original post by Wor Carroll
I meant how can you work out what your mark out of 40 in the practicals is worth out of 60 in UMS.

Ah I see sorry!! Divide your mark by 40 and then multiply the answer by 60 and that is the UMS mark :smile: x
Reply 515
Original post by Dunn0
I love Manchester =)
Did you firm it :colondollar:

Yep :biggrin:
you?
Reply 516
Original post by greenford
If I dont get a C in this...no more medicine for me...:frown::frown::frown:

If I don't get an A in this.. no more medicine for me!!
:frown:

You're in a better position than many I know :smile:
Be confident revise hard, best of luck!
Original post by wilsea05
yeah for a B i need 39/150 which is an E haha, but for an A i need 99/150 which is a C, but still dreading this exam... i NEED an A for my course

just wish i'd done better in my practicals, then the pressure would be almost completely off!

99 is pretty good mate!

Original post by YuDunno

If I dont get an A, then no more good uni for me :frown:.. the course Im doing is totally diff from bio, have no idea why i took it :/
Reply 518
Original post by YuDunno

I haven't done so much revision for any other exam in my entire life.... hope it all goes well for everyone
(edited 12 years ago)
Who else needs an A overall in Biology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending