The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

It's ok, just hope someone can help!
Reply 2721
Original post by susy

first question: is the recruitment through the nhs website only? i mean, can you apply to a private lab and still get the training? how does this whole thing work?

second question: i certainly need to get at least some months of experience in a clinical embryology lab/fertility centre, how do i do this? do people just write countless e-mails to fertility centres asking for some voluntary position and hope for one of them to reply?

third question: does anybody know if there will be openings in london? i mean, 2 years with no places, is it possible?

Hi i'm not embryology but i'll try to answer some of your questions as most people have vanished from this thread after being accepted or rejected...

1: the recruitment for this training was only through the jobs.nhs website. There has been talk about an an alternate route but the the alternate is is tougher (as you probably need to get a low down job in a lab and convince them to train you) and takes longer to be qualified.
2: I think most people have got experience through visiting labs. I would say if they don't answer your emails call up so you show your motivated... getting a placement will also mean you can ask the scientists there loads of questions about the training.
3: The labs probably don't know themselves if there will be openings in London as it all depends on funding.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2722
THANK YOU!!!!

you cleared lots of my doubts already. so yo u think that i can just e-mail nhs and private fertility centres to ask for a placement? is this common practice? will they know what i am talking about?
i mean if i say placement, will they know it's voluntary and just to get experience?

xx
Reply 2723
i know most of them will allow a 1 day visit to the centre but this is not really what i am after. i need experience so they have to be willing to take me on a voluntary basis, even just shadowing of course, but the presence in the lab will benefit my application...

the problem is that i am not sure which labs would be more willing to accept, if for example private fertility centres consider anything like this or even if this is something people do to apply for embryology... i really don't have a clue...

maybe some people interested or already in the clinical embryology training will answer...

thank you for your help, it has been very useful!
Reply 2724
Hi guys,
do you stand a chance to get into clinical biochemistry just with BSc.? Or do you have to have Phd or Masters?
Reply 2725
Original post by Loki01
Hi guys,
do you stand a chance to get into clinical biochemistry just with BSc.? Or do you have to have Phd or Masters?

Yes you do have a chance. :smile:
Reply 2726
Original post by 5t4r
Yes you do have a chance. :smile:

Was that your case?:smile:
Reply 2727
Went to the biochemistry lab in Preston on Wednesday to have a look around the lab and meet the clinical scientists I will be working with. Everyone there is very friendly and made me feel very welcome :-)

There is still no news on who is holding the Msc for the northwest but I was told it's more than likely going to be Manchester.

Is there any other Biochems for the northwest region on here?
i got offered a place and im in my final year i graduate in july so dont let that put you off applying anyone they will still consider you
Hi, I'm new to TSR, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a realistic idea of what chances I have of getting a placement, because I have no idea how competitive it is and what kind of experience and qualifications people have.

I want to apply next year and by then I will be in my final year of my Biomedical Science degree, I'll have 12 months experience working in an NHS Haematology Lab as a Trainee BMS, 1 week working in a Microbiology NHS lab, 1 week in Histology and 3 days in Clinical Chemistry. I also have 6 months experience working in a Pharmacy, but I don't know if they would be interested in that or not?

I should also have been working as a Bank Staff Trainee BMS throughout my final year (I have been offered this job for when I go back to uni after my placement). The thing I'm worried about is that I've not got a masters degree and I don't really want to move outside of the West Midlands. I'd like to stay around Birmingham because all my friends and family live near there.

Do you think I have a good chance? Only I really really want to be a Clinical Scientist, Biomedical Science isn't for me :frown:
Original post by laura130490
Hi, I'm new to TSR, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me a realistic idea of what chances I have of getting a placement, because I have no idea how competitive it is and what kind of experience and qualifications people have.

I want to apply next year and by then I will be in my final year of my Biomedical Science degree, I'll have 12 months experience working in an NHS Haematology Lab as a Trainee BMS, 1 week working in a Microbiology NHS lab, 1 week in Histology and 3 days in Clinical Chemistry. I also have 6 months experience working in a Pharmacy, but I don't know if they would be interested in that or not?

I should also have been working as a Bank Staff Trainee BMS throughout my final year (I have been offered this job for when I go back to uni after my placement). The thing I'm worried about is that I've not got a masters degree and I don't really want to move outside of the West Midlands. I'd like to stay around Birmingham because all my friends and family live near there.

Do you think I have a good chance? Only I really really want to be a Clinical Scientist, Biomedical Science isn't for me :frown:

You have a fair bit of experience, so that should work in your favour. I think the biggest restriction someone can have is in limiting their location, not many CS jobs are popping up, so you have to be prepared to move anywhere if you're offered a job. If you look back through the thread there's been a few cases where people have been offered jobs in less than ideal locations but they took the job since it's a foot on the ladder.
Hi all. Does anyone know if there were many positions advertised for the neurosensory path? And do they look specifically for audiology, neurophysiology etc or is it just generally "neurosensory"?

Also what do you think are the chances for someone with a psychology degree to gain a trainee position in neurophysiology? thanks!
Reply 2732
Original post by Johnsmith61089
Hi all. Does anyone know if there were many positions advertised for the neurosensory path? And do they look specifically for audiology, neurophysiology etc or is it just generally "neurosensory"?

Also what do you think are the chances for someone with a psychology degree to gain a trainee position in neurophysiology? thanks!

Unfortunately, not high because you need a life sciences degree which (correct me if Im wrong) does not cover psychology.

To all the people waiting for appointment checks --- anyone heard anything?
Reply 2733
Original post by 5t4r
Unfortunately, not high because you need a life sciences degree which (correct me if Im wrong) does not cover psychology.

I got a phone call from HR on Friday, she's going to send me all the details by post and then will have to go to the trust and sort it all out.
Original post by Em_Notts
I got a phone call from HR on Friday, she's going to send me all the details by post and then will have to go to the trust and sort it all out.

Exactly what details are they going to send you? If you dont mind me asking..
Reply 2735
Original post by a1b2c3d4e
Exactly what details are they going to send you? If you dont mind me asking..

To be honest i'm not quite sure...

She said something about CRB check and health screen, but I guess i'll have to wait and see. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. :-)
Reply 2736
I've received the "new starter" pack from my trust this Saturday, just called to arrange the pre-employment check appointment. The pack has loads of forms to sign (business conduct, conflicts of interests etc + CRB check form, health declaration and P46), and you need to bring your ID, proof of address, NI card and educational certificates to the appointment.
Original post by 5t4r

i know someone who got an interview for audiology with a psychology degree soo apply but i would think you need to show some volunteering or shadowing to the specific neruosensory science you want
Reply 2738
Hey guys! I was on the reserve list for audiology and managed to get a clinical scientist place! Wuhoooo! However very confused as I received a congratulations email off my trust, but they also informed me that they don't know which university will be holding the msc! Very confused as I assumed because I applied to manchester uni, it would be held there! Rang the uni, and they don't have a clue what my trust is going on about! Does anyone else!? Xx
Reply 2739
Original post by bellisp
Hey guys! I was on the reserve list for audiology and managed to get a clinical scientist place! Wuhoooo! However very confused as I received a congratulations email off my trust, but they also informed me that they don't know which university will be holding the msc! Very confused as I assumed because I applied to manchester uni, it would be held there! Rang the uni, and they don't have a clue what my trust is going on about! Does anyone else!? Xx

I don't know if audiology is different cos for physics you didnt have to apply to the uni too but this is what was explained to me:
the uni's have set up the courses but cos they had to change them this year to fit in with the new scheme the institutes are yet to confirm accreditation for them - and if a uni doesnt get the course accredited you'd have to go somewhere else but i'm sure you'll be fine with manchester!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending