The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Patriot
Also, Danny Woodhead (Patriots) is 5'7".

Indeed, there are a few short players around the NFL in a few positions as well so they guy above isn't restricted completely. I think I'm pretty short for my (would be) position :moon:
Original post by paddy__power
Indeed, there are a few short players around the NFL in a few positions as well so they guy above isn't restricted completely. I think I'm pretty short for my (would be) position :moon:

go on then, shoot...? what's your plan + size?
go on then, shoot...? what's your plan + size?

6' 2" and probably O-Line or Nose Tackle. Not really sure as I've not played before. I'm aware this isn't short but lots of monsters play such positions :tongue:
6' 2" and probably O-Line or Nose Tackle. Not really sure as I've not played before. I'm aware this isn't short but lots of monsters play such positions :tongue:

You will be fine. I'm 6'2" and I was the same if not bigger than most of our linemen. (in height, not weight cuz I'm skinny like a beaut!)
How big are most wide receivers in the BUAFL? I was just wondering how they compared to nfl players, obviously they won't be as 'big', but in terms of height?
Original post by loves2spooge
How big are most wide receivers in the BUAFL? I was just wondering how they compared to nfl players, obviously they won't be as 'big', but in terms of height?

I dunno, 5'10" - 6'? There are some guys around the league who are like 6'5" but often they're slower than the shorter guys.
Do any of you watch Friday Night lights? I've watched every episode in like a week and it is a brilliant show. I recommend to anyone who likes those sorts of things, and it has a focus on AF :smile:

You will be fine. I'm 6'2" and I was the same if not bigger than most of our linemen. (in height, not weight cuz I'm skinny like a beaut!)

Fair enough, I'm possibly a touch over 6'2" as I've not measured in ages and I'm a broad guy so hopefully it should be fine. I may just lose loads of weight and be a QB for the glory :awesome:
Do any of you watch Friday Night lights? I've watched every episode in like a week and it is a brilliant show. I recommend to anyone who likes those sorts of things, and it has a focus on AF :smile:

Fair enough, I'm possibly a touch over 6'2" as I've not measured in ages and I'm a broad guy so hopefully it should be fine. I may just lose loads of weight and be a QB for the glory :awesome:

It's hard LOL. But yeah give it a crack :P
It's hard LOL. But yeah give it a crack :P

Just got to throw a ball a bit - should be fine :h:

:tongue:
I'm 6' 2-3" and about 70kg, so quite slim, but I plan on bulking as soon as my exams are done

What positions would best suit me?
Original post by .Theory
I'm 6' 2-3" and about 70kg, so quite slim, but I plan on bulking as soon as my exams are done

Are you fast? Strong? Can you throw etc? I'm not going to advise you as I know feck all really but these are the sorts of things that will enable the guys that know what they're on about to advise you :h:
Original post by .Theory

Are you fast? Strong? Can you throw etc? I'm not going to advise you as I know feck all really but these are the sorts of things that will enable the guys that know what they're on about to advise you :h:

This.

I'm 6'2" and 57KG, and I was fine. So you're hardly too skinny. However a bit more strength will help.

Do you want to score touchdowns or stop the other team?

How good are you at:

throwing
running (speed)
strength
tackling
fearless
jumping
This.

I'm 6'2" and 57KG, and I was fine. So you're hardly too skinny. However a bit more strength will help.

Do you want to score touchdowns or stop the other team?

How good are you at:

throwing
running (speed)
strength
tackling
fearless
jumping

57kg, you must be really slim.

How big are the linemen generally in the uni league?
Ah, I guess I was comparing my weight to the wrong people (nfl players, all of them are 200+lbs lol)

I can throw well (power and aim), but I've never played before, so QB would probably be out of the question since I want to take this up at uni (at either Southampton or Sheffield), and experience seems to be very important to the position. I've got good legs, so sprinting and jumping are good. Although at the moment I train 100m and 200m sprints, so that may not be entirely useful for the bursts required in football. My strength isn't great compared to a lot of people, but I guess I don't get into situations where I'd find out.

Fearless? Erm, I don't care about getting hit if that's what you mean.
(edited 12 years ago)
57kg, you must be really slim.

How big are the linemen generally in the uni league?

Hell yeah, I'm just under 9 stone :P

You're talking 6 ft +, 180 lbs + generally.

Original post by .Theory
Ah, I guess I was comparing my weight to the wrong people (nfl players, all of them are 200+lbs lol)

I can throw well (power and aim), but I've never played before, so QB would probably be out of the question since I want to take this up at uni (at either Southampton or Sheffield), and experience seems to be very important to the position. I've got good legs, so sprinting and jumping are good. Although at the moment I train 100m and 200m sprints, so that may not be entirely useful for the bursts required in football. My strength isn't great compared to a lot of people, but I guess I don't get into situations where I'd find out.

Fearless? Erm, I don't care about getting hit if that's what you mean.

Fearless = ability to run over the middle, commit to a catch and not flinch, even though there is a meaty, angry, sweaty linebacker waiting for you who would like nothing more than to break your legs and will try with all his might to do so. also the ability to run headlong into a tackle defenseless without slowing down.

If you aren't scared of hits. can run fast, can jump well. and are committed to learning, you could be a good wide receiver.

learnt to catch. strong hands are important.

however at uni level, (and youth in the UK), the running game rules.

you could always try QB, but you would probably be a back-up for a while.
Hell yeah, I'm just under 9 stone :P

You're talking 6 ft +, 180 lbs + generally.

Really. Isn't that pretty small? I was expecting the average to be considerably bigger than that really. Fair enough :smile:
Really. Isn't that pretty small? I was expecting the average to be considerably bigger than that really. Fair enough :smile:

It depends wholly on the team, as d-lines and o-lines are employed (and manned) to different effects.

12- 13 stone still is quite large, when you add pads. and there will be plenty of people 200 lbs and over. i've seen a couple i would swear are 300.
It depends wholly on the team, as d-lines and o-lines are employed (and manned) to different effects.

12- 13 stone still is quite large, when you add pads. and there will be plenty of people 200 lbs and over. i've seen a couple i would swear are 300.

I'm over 300 - I didn't think this would be particularly rare at O but my assumption was perhaps incorrect. Hopefully if I can afford it and learn the technique I can boss the line :tongue:
I'm over 300 - I didn't think this would be particularly rare at O but my assumption was perhaps incorrect. Hopefully if I can afford it and learn the technique I can boss the line :tongue:

sounds good dude. learn how to get the most out of your arms and legs and you're away!
200. Ouch.

Will it cost more for the larger sizes? I may have to go for rugby after all, lol.

Nah man, it will be worth it haha. You get so many opportunities to play rugby but uni is really the only place to try american football. It's something different. And I don't think it will cost more for larger sizes.

Latest