The Student Room Group

Higher Psychology 2010-2011 :: Resources and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by summerheartsx
Just go through the different stages and include a digram. Basically about how information constantly comes through into the sensory memory from the senses and if attention is placed upon it then it moves into the stm and then if rehearsed it moves into the ltm or it is forgotten.

Talk about what Atkinson & Shiffrin (1968) showed. Then include the advantages and disadvantages of the model and then supporting studies such as evidence that there is three definite stores shown by baddeley in with how the stm relies on acoustic coding (1986) and the ltm relies on semantic (1966).

Also you can talk about how Atkinson and Shriffin believed memories where stored in the ltm through rehearsal but Craik and Lockhart (1972) said it was processing rather than rehearsal - it's what you do with the information that leads to storage.

Hope this helps :smile:

btw our lecturer has said there is no model question..There was one last year ,but this year the question is about the nature of memory and then EWT or forgetting for the research question.
Original post by asobi seksu
btw our lecturer has said there is no model question..There was one last year ,but this year the question is about the nature of memory and then EWT or forgetting for the research question.

Nature of memory?
Reply 242
Original post by Laura_Phillips
Nature of memory?

Probably a definition of it, the various approaches to it's processes: encoding, storage and retrieval.

It would make sense for there not to be a model question, but they are simple enough to draw and remember.
Reply 243
Anyone doing intelligence - what studies/theories are you going in with? I've only got Sternberg and Spearman. The Gross Textbook is a bit of a letdown in this aspect of psychology :/
Reply 244

Did he give you any hints about the conformity and obedience question?
Original post by Kelz_26
Did he give you any hints about the conformity and obedience question?

we don't do that subject...just prejduice so sorry I'm not sure...
and yes nature means you explain encoding,storage and retrieval then we've been told we will have to connect it to ltm or stm...explain the duration,capacity etc...Then explain one piece of research to do with the nature of either.

we don't do that subject...just prejduice so sorry I'm not sure...
and yes nature means you explain encoding,storage and retrieval then we've been told we will have to connect it to ltm or stm...explain the duration,capacity etc...Then explain one piece of research to do with the nature of either.

Can you please give me an example of a research study to do with nature of encoding, storage or retrieval.... :smile:
Original post by ilovelife1234
Can you please give me an example of a research study to do with nature of encoding, storage or retrieval.... :smile:

Baddeley 1966-study at both of ltm and stm's way of encoding...stm is primarly encoded acoustically while ltm semantically.

jacobs(1887) and miller(1956?) both found that for stm the capacity is only about 7-9.
brown(1958) and peterson and peterson(1959) both found through the use of nonsense triagrams that stm memory only lasts without rehearsal for about 18-30 seconds...

bahrick et al(1975) studied long term memory and found that for instance after 9 months of leaving school 90% of people could remember faces of classmates in photos and names etc while after forty years he found that people could remember 30% less for each category. ...basically meaning that memories seemed to fade ,but did'nt disapear...this could be due to the time of memory though...

lastly the capacity of ltm is hard to gauge...its practically unlimited...

Baddeley 1966-study at both of ltm and stm's way of encoding...stm is primarly encoded acoustically while ltm semantically.

jacobs(1887) and miller(1956?) both found that for stm the capacity is only about 7-9.
brown(1958) and peterson and peterson(1959) both found through the use of nonsense triagrams that stm memory only lasts without rehearsal for about 18-30 seconds...

bahrick et al(1975) studied long term memory and found that for instance after 9 months of leaving school 90% of people could remember faces of classmates in photos and names etc while after forty years he found that people could remember 30% less for each category. ...basically meaning that memories seemed to fade ,but did'nt disapear...this could be due to the time of memory though...

lastly the capacity of ltm is hard to gauge...its practically unlimited...

Awww thank you :smile:
Reply 249
PLEASE! Anyone doing intelligence, what have you got?

Easily the worst topic as there is so little out there to read upon.

Awh okay, i'm good at both models and nature of memory so that should be fine either way :smile: Thank you anyway
Reply 251
Original post by thatteapot
I'm going over Kohlberg's theory of moral reasoning and I am really really stuck. The 3rd level is "In the post-conventional level, individuals reason that some aspects of morality, such as regard for life and human welfare, should be upheld irrespective of convention or normative obligation." Um yeah, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? I do it on the internet so I can't go and ask any of the teachers tomorrow before the exam.

Say you were a war hero - you are a very high level of moral reasoning and over the years it has been internalised that you help people rather than hurting them. Then you will always act according to your moral code. You will intervene when someone is injured and will not do what someone tells you to do if this means that you would injure them (or give electric shocks that could kill them). Most of the subjects that resisted the instructions to give the shocks were at this level of internalised morality.
This is the 3rd level - not many of us about though!
Reply 252
Looking at this thread makes me worry A LOT. i know nothing.
Original post by megara

Original post by megara
Looking at this thread makes me worry A LOT. i know nothing.

I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: i am pretty much cramming in everything tonight. Good Luck tomorrow :smile:
Reply 254
What if we havent handed in our log books? do we fail? i havent handed mine in. oh my god :frown:
anyone have any good guesses about atypical behaviour tomorrow? so much to study that i've not looked at, so trying to pick the most likely stuff. bit hard to look at past papaers though, because i think (emphasise think) the arrangement has recently been changed??
Original post by SarahjaneS
anyone have any good guesses about atypical behaviour tomorrow? so much to study that i've not looked at, so trying to pick the most likely stuff. bit hard to look at past papaers though, because i think (emphasise think) the arrangement has recently been changed??

Our teacher said to focus on definition of atypical behaviour, and on the Psychodynamic Approach to atypical behaviour, ie Freud and Little Hans, defence mechanisms etc!
Original post by distinctspy
Our teacher said to focus on definition of atypical behaviour, and on the Psychodynamic Approach to atypical behaviour, ie Freud and Little Hans, defence mechanisms etc!

Thanks for the reply:smile:

by definition do you mean the four definitions :smile:? oh god, freud is geniounely the one thing i dread the most...
Original post by SarahjaneS
Thanks for the reply:smile:

by definition do you mean the four definitions :smile:? oh god, freud is geniounely the one thing i dread the most...

Our teacher who helps write/mark the papers said that we have a choice of any two.
Original post by Kelz_26

Original post by Kelz_26
Did you remember those dates off the top of your head?

hehe yep! memory is the only topic i know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending