The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambo211

And sadly that is what the majority of people do and where more people are heading.

I need to start reading more film stuff, can you point me in the range of something decent? :h:

Bookwise or internet sites? I can give you a current rundown of the stuff either currently on my reading list, finished with or stuff I want to start at some point, if you want a sprawling mess. :p:
I've never liked Horrors. I appreciate that there are some brilliant pieces of cinema in the genre but they're just not for me :dontknow:

Yeah, they're not a genre that I really follow, but I do feel sad that I've missed out on being able to experience films such as The Exorcist while they were showing at the cinema. Now it's just all remakes or bloody paranormal films. I guess it's just like every genre in cinema where it goes through a period of being awful before rising again.
Original post by Madjackismad

Yeah, they're not a genre that I really follow, but I do feel sad that I've missed out on being able to experience films such as The Exorcist while they were showing at the cinema. Now it's just all remakes or bloody paranormal films. I guess it's just like every genre in cinema where it goes through a period of being awful before rising again.

Good stuff still exists, you just need to look in different places. Spanish horror has been growing in strength for a good few years now.
Original post by Phalanges
Bookwise or internet sites? I can give you a current rundown of the stuff either currently on my reading list, finished with or stuff I want to start at some point, if you want a sprawling mess. :p:

Both.

I can deal with a sprawling mess :tongue:
Original post by Phalanges
Good stuff still exists, you just need to look in different places. Spanish horror has been growing in strength for a good few years now.

Yeah, as I said, I'm glad we have people like Juan Antonio Bayona and Del Toro (who is actually Mexican). I guess it's my overall lack of interest in the genre that makes me overlook areas where horror is growing and is still creative and genuinely scary.
Horror movies have been in an awful decline for years, IMO. Paranormal Activity gave me hope, but I watched the first one and it was just more making you jump than really being horror. At least we have directors such as Guillermo Del Toro who are interested in directing good horror (it's a real shame that At the Mountains of Madness is not happening) as well as producing good horror movies. He produced The Orphanage which is excellent. The Japanese version of The Grudge was terrifying.

I also find it interesting that John Carpenter has expressed some regret in being responsible for creating the slasher movie genre. It's a shame that horror has gone this way, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (before they became obsessed with being a franchise) were excellent films. However they've created so many copycats and ****ing remakes.

I also think Roman Polanski should make another horror film, Rosemary's Baby is brilliant. David Lynch has also produced some genuinely scary moments.

I agree that horror movies just aren't as good anymore, they've been a lot better in the past, a lot of the demo / house possession films recently are just so cheap imo, with jump at you moments, gore and twisted reality (from disfigurement, climbing on walls, weird visions) but none of it is really that scary (to me anyway)

I think that the demon possession 'genre' has been way overused in the past couple years, it's quite tired now, about as original as a new thriller about some people getting kidnapped then tortured for no reason

all that being said there still are some great horror films coming out, just that people probably won't hear about them as much if at all. Shocktillyoudrop helps a lot with scoping out some of the gems so yeah
The Damned United is on BBC 2. Never seen it, but I've heard it's pretty good.
Shawshank is just about to start on ITV2+1 :yy:
People on twitter really seem to like Role Models, Didn't find it that funny or interesting to watch myself but hey

Prefer Sex Drive or the Hangover to it as 'juvenile comedy film of 2008'
Original post by lukejoshjedi
People on twitter really seem to like Role Models, Didn't find it that funny or interesting to watch myself but hey

Prefer Sex Drive or the Hangover to it as 'juvenile comedy film of 2008'

People on twitter like everything.

No one who disliked the film would choose to sit through it when it's on TV and therefore few people will tweet saying they disliked it.
People on twitter like everything.

No one who disliked the film would choose to sit through it when it's on TV and therefore few people will tweet saying they disliked it.

lol fair enough, I take it you don't have a twitter acc? everyone on FF should have a twitter.. we can all have conversations there and stuff :indiff:

But yeah I've yet to see The Hangover part 2, I should remedy that
lol fair enough, I take it you don't have a twitter acc? everyone on FF should have a twitter.. we can all have conversations there and stuff :indiff:

But yeah I've yet to see The Hangover part 2, I should remedy that

Save your money, it's utter dross. The first was alright.
Me has twitter!!! lol
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Me has twitter!!! lol

ah cool man, pm me your twitter name dude, I'll follow ya :biggrin: aja89 has one too, already following each other

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-why-superman-returns-179292

Thought that was kinda interesting, I mostly agree with Singers' own verdict on SR but still don't think the film was all that bad anyway
ah cool man, pm me your twitter name dude, I'll follow ya :biggrin: aja89 has one too, already following each other

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-why-superman-returns-179292

Thought that was kinda interesting, I mostly agree with Singers' own verdict on SR but still don't think the film was all that bad anyway

PMed ya :biggrin:

Yeah I liked Superman Returns...
Just watched 'Closer'. Absolutely brilliant. What a script. Clive Owen and Jude Law in the same film :drool:

Natalie Portman was much better in this than 'Black Swan' imo. One of my new favourite films. :love:
This is now my only real refuge on the forum now :emo:

I don't have the energy to debate in the MHoC after a day of politics revision, I've unwatched the Doctor Who thread before cause some serious brain damage with the amount of facedesking needed and the Shoutbox has turned to absolute hell over the past week.
This is now my only real refuge on the forum now :emo:

I don't have the energy to debate in the MHoC after a day of politics revision, I've unwatched the Doctor Who thread before cause some serious brain damage with the amount of facedesking needed and the Shoutbox has turned to absolute hell over the past week.

It's ok, you can live here, we'll adopt you!

Let me just draw up the papers :wink:
I've posted here more than you.

So that isn't your decision to make :pierre:
I was only trying to be nice :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest