The Student Room Group

BIOL4 Biology Unit 4 Exam - 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehsponge
Yep. I'm so pissed off that all this completely irrelevant Ecology crap is what will get me into university to study Pharmacology. It is so annoying. I wish we got to choose modules or something for the A Level.

couldnt agree with you more. i done the june 2010 paper, man that was hard! no wonder you needed 36 or something for an A.
Reply 121
Finally starting to feel more confident about this exam. Ive been doing lots of revision, its just silly application questions. Like, i get the process of respiration and photosynthesis but its the ones where they apply it to something, and i just have NO clue what theyre going on about.

Every other topic in this module im VERY confident with, but with respiration and photosynthesis im REALLY struggling - probably because its alot of biochemistry which i SUCK at. Theyre probably going to be on this paper too, since they wernt in January.
Reply 122
Original post by Abby :)
Finally starting to feel more confident about this exam. Ive been doing lots of revision, its just silly application questions. Like, i get the process of respiration and photosynthesis but its the ones where they apply it to something, and i just have NO clue what theyre going on about.

Every other topic in this module im VERY confident with, but with respiration and photosynthesis im REALLY struggling - probably because its alot of biochemistry which i SUCK at. Theyre probably going to be on this paper too, since they wernt in January.

I advise you to use the CGP guide. It has alot of very useful diagrams... the way i lernt it is by reading the diagram and figuring out what was happening instead of reading the longg explanations lol. Obviously yu need to read them but yu must understand whats happening not just memorise it otherwise theres no chance that yul even get a question right... these topics MUST be understood :smile:.. saying that photosynthesis and respiration are my strongest topics lol. :smile:, if yu need any help jus quote me again and il try answer the questions yu have :smile:.
Original post by SK-mar
for percentage cover you use quadrats again, but you grid the quadrats using string or something like that. you then randomise it by using coordinates again. however, this time you count how many plants (that your investigating) are in the whole quadrat. so if the plant your investigating covers 5/10 squares within the quadrat then thats 50% obviously. if one square is covered only half then you still count it. then you work out the average as before....

Doesnt let me rep u!

The area of soil was left for five years. During this time, the index of diversity fell to 3.75. Suggest an explanation for this fall. (4 marks)

not sure how this question is to do with succession since succession increases the biodiversity
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by arvin_infinity
Doesnt let me rep u!

The area of soil was left for five years. During this time, the index of diversity fell to 3.75. Suggest an explanation for this fall. (4 marks)

not sure how this question is to do with succession since succession increases the biodiversity

whats the whole question, like any previous parts to it that might be useful as this seems strange...?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SK-mar
whats the whole question, like any previous parts to it that might be useful as this seems strange...?

Its a long question

Its Q7 part (v)

AQA BYA 5- JUne 2007

Am really struggling with these Q below:
7b (v)---> not sure how this question is to do with succession since succession increases the biodiversity
q8aii--> the answer is wrong in all measures ( or am being thick)
6a-6ciii (last part glucose?!)
8b ???

Anyone feel free to answer ( +rep:rolleyes:)
Reply 126
Its a long question

Its Q7 part (v)

AQA BYA 5- JUne 2007

Am really struggling with these Q below:
7b (v)---> not sure how this question is to do with succession since succession increases the biodiversity
q8aii--> the answer is wrong in all measures ( or am being thick)
6a-6ciii (last part glucose?!)
8b ???

Anyone feel free to answer ( +rep:rolleyes:)

can you link me to the paper please ...
Original post by SK-mar
can you link me to the paper please ...

Here
Reply 128

7b - to be honest, this is tough but i think its to do with animals coming into the area and actually restricting succession.

Initially, the area has become diverse in plants due to 1 year of succession occurring. However, animals colonise the area because there is plenty of vegetation to feed on, so they survive and successfully reproduce. Over time this leads to an increase in the numbers of animals in the area, however the growth of new vegetation is not sufficient enough to support the increase in new organisms. Therefore species diversity is decreased due to these organisms feeding on the remaining vegetation in the area.

dunno if this is right but its an educated guess? lol.

8aii) yeh just leave out the big C and think of only the small letters above.

So, ‘c’ allele for ‘carbonaria’ is dominant to ‘i’ allele for ‘insularia’ which is dominant over ‘t’ allele for ‘typica’ .....

so if we have 2 carbonaria moths with codes of Ci Ci, there is a possibility of ‘ii’ being formed which would be ‘insularia’ in homozygous form. then say we have 2 moths of Ct Ct - there is a chance of them forming ‘tt’ offspring, which would code for ‘typica’ in homozygous form. but either of the above 2 codes (Ci Ci and Ct Ct) can code for CC,Ci or Ct as the offspring which would be ‘carbonaria’ again as 'C' is dominant over 'i' and 't' ..... hope this is clear haha...

I will try and answer the other two tomorrow im tireddd now haha.... hope this helps anyway. what does the markscheme say?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SK-mar
7b - to be honest, this is tough but i think its to do with animals coming into the area and actually restricting succession.

Initially, the area has become diverse in plants due to 1 year of succession occurring. However, animals colonise the area because there is plenty of vegetation to feed on, so they survive and successfully reproduce. Over time this leads to an increase in the numbers of animals in the area, however the growth of new vegetation is not sufficient enough to support the increase in new organisms. Therefore species diversity is decreased due to these organisms feeding on the remaining vegetation in the area.

dunno if this is right but its an educated guess? lol.

8aii) yeh just leave out the big C and think of only the small letters above.

So, ‘c’ allele for ‘carbonaria’ is dominant to ‘i’ allele for ‘insularia’ which is dominant over ‘t’ allele for ‘typica’ .....

so if we have 2 carbonaria moths with codes of Ci Ci, there is a possibility of ‘ii’ being formed which would be ‘insularia’ in homozygous form. then say we have 2 moths of Ct Ct - there is a chance of them forming ‘tt’ offspring, which would code for ‘typica’ in homozygous form. but either of the above 2 codes (Ci Ci and Ct Ct) can code for CC,Ci or Ct as the offspring which would be ‘carbonaria’ again as 'C' is dominant over 'i' and 't' ..... hope this is clear haha...

I will try and answer the other two tomorrow im tireddd now haha.... hope this helps anyway. what does the markscheme say?

MARK SCHEME

Just had a quick look at your answers..its slightly different to ms ! But then again am not testing your knowledge !:P but would like to know

how to interpret ms

So for 8aii:

CiCi doesnt give a phoenotype of carbonaria

There is no way u cross 2 carbonaria and get both offspring: ctct and cict
At least one Cc must be present in genotype of each parent= so they are carbonaria
Each parent must have had at least one Ct to give CtCt= typica
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 130
MARK SCHEME

Just had a quick look at your answers..its slightly different to ms ! But then again am not testing your knowledge !:P but would like to know

how to interpret ms

So for 8aii:

CiCi doesnt give a phenotype of carbonaria

At least one Cc must be present in genotype of each parent= so they are carbonaria

sorry what i mean is that C^c C^i , C^c C^i ... gives a phenotype of carbonaria.

crossing gives CC Ci Ci ii so 75% are carbonaria 25% insularia

and you don't have to cross just 2 specific carbonaria and get all offspring. the question asks whether 2 carbonaria crosses in general can form all 3 offspring. 2carbonaria crosses can either be: CC CC, Ci Ci, Ct Ct, CC Ci, CC Ct, Ci Ct .... but you just need to show the crosses that will cover all three types of moth to get the marks...

and btw 7(v) makes no sense. the markscheme specifically states the points of succession. and then suddenly says species diversity is decreased??? what i have learnt in all the books is that species diversity increases through succession so this is very strange?! lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 131
MARK SCHEME

how to interpret ms

So for 8aii:

CiCi doesnt give a phoenotype of carbonaria

edit: sorry just got you..... yeh the big 'C' i wrote before was just highlighting that they are dominant. imagine those to be the little 'c' sorry .... thats what i meantttt

so C^c C^i , C^c C^i .....for the parents is what i actually meant.
Original post by SK-mar
edit: sorry just got you..... yeh the big 'C' i wrote before was just highlighting that they are dominant. imagine those to be the little 'c' sorry .... thats what i meantttt

so C^c C^i , C^c C^i .....for the parents is what i actually meant.

True but that doesnt give the third phenotype which is C t C i or C t C t
Reply 133
True but that doesnt give the third phenotype which is C t C i or C t C t

yeh but to get Ct Ct you have the parents with genotype C^c C^t .....

the question doesn't specify that you can only have 2 parents to make all 3 phenotypes. it says that the parents must be carbonaria. so you can use different combinations of carbonaria parents to get all 3 phenotypes....
whatdid people get in jan for this paper?
can someone explain how do you calculate the population in JAN 2011 paper 1 c ii?
Original post by coffee345
can someone explain how do you calculate the population in JAN 2011 paper 1 c ii?

basically, you have the total population 'per million' so you need to convert it to 'per 1000' as birth and death rate are 'per 1000':
107 x 1000 = 107000

next you subtract the death rate from birth rate:
20 - 5 = 15 (alternately you can convert these to 'per million' i.e. 20 - 5 = 15, 15/1000 = 0.015)

finally you multiply 15 and 107000 to get 1605000 (this is how many people the population will increase by) and add this to the original population:
107000000 + 1605000 = 108605000

hope this helped :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kishanpatel
basically, you have the total population 'per million' so you need to convert it to 'per 1000' as birth and death rate are 'per 1000':
107 x 1000 = 107000

next you subtract the death rate from birth rate:
20 - 5 = 15 (alternately you can convert these to 'per million' i.e. 20 - 5 = 15, 15/1000 = 0.015)

finally you multiply 15 and 107000 to get 1605000 (this is how many people the population will increase by) and add this to the original population:
107000000 + 1605000 = 108605000

hope this helped :smile:

oh thanks :smile:!

whatdid you get last time? or are you not resitting this paper?
Original post by coffee345
oh thanks :smile:!

whatdid you get last time? or are you not resitting this paper?

ye i am resitting the paper, i got a solid D last time :frown:

how about u?
Original post by Kishanpatel
ye i am resitting the paper, i got a solid D last time :frown:

how about u?

aww same i didnt do well either...i thought that jan's paper was harder than jan 2010 >.<

I got a C....but just a C: 60 ums :frown:

what do you need to get into uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending