My right thumb goes numb when I write lots (exams/revision etc) help? Watch

icyfreya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My right thumb has been going numb when I write lots, e.g if i'm making a lot of revision notes, or writing practise essays.
2 weeks ago I had a 3 hour exam where I wrote continuously, and afterwards my thumb was numb/tingly for almost a week - it's just about recovered, but now i'm making notes in preparation for an exam tomorrow, where I have to write continuously for 2 hours, and i'm worried because i'm finding it difficult to hold the pen!
I've tried massaging it & running it under hot/cold water to increase blood flow but no change .

Anyone had anything like this, or know what I could do to get the feeling back?
BeatriceF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry to hear you are in pain!

You have seriously 'overworked' your thumb- it happened to me many times too!
For me, normally, a cold compress helps to ease the strain. It would be good to check with a doctor in case you have a nerve trapped.

Maybe try to write as little as possible today (just bullet points or something..) so it has a bit of a rest before your two hour exam tomorrow.

Good luck with your exam!
Blackout94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yea this happens to me very often but i feel better after soaking my hands in a warm water bath for 10-15 mins. it really helps. Try again.
ayrshire ace
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by icyfreya)
My right thumb has been going numb when I write lots, e.g if i'm making a lot of revision notes, or writing practise essays.
2 weeks ago I had a 3 hour exam where I wrote continuously, and afterwards my thumb was numb/tingly for almost a week - it's just about recovered, but now i'm making notes in preparation for an exam tomorrow, where I have to write continuously for 2 hours, and i'm worried because i'm finding it difficult to hold the pen!
I've tried massaging it & running it under hot/cold water to increase blood flow but no change .

Anyone had anything like this, or know what I could do to get the feeling back?
I used to get this alot although it didn't last for a week, couple of days maxium.

I would recomend doing some training exercises on your thumb to strengthing it up e.g Wiggle about.

I feel stupid for saying this but having regular thmb wars usually helos aswell. LOL
Willtop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Dude! I have the exact same problem and have the "tingly" feeling it's so weird and I came here looking for answers. Any tips for getting rid of the feeling because i too have a lot of things to write and I'm struggling to hold a pen ffs
Last edited by Willtop; 6 months ago
Ishouldrevise123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes I have this too I got it during an exam yesterday and it’s not gone away it just feels completely numb and it hurts to write it’s really uncomfortable
Edit:
For those of you wondering if it’ll go away soon for me it went away after like a week,thank God
Last edited by Ishouldrevise123; 6 days ago
revisionfreak03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
omds me too i don't know what to do. HELP! i have a tingling sensation and numbness in my thumb after having two exams today. i thought i was the only one..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (39)
30.71%
The paper was reasonable (61)
48.03%
Not feeling great about that exam... (13)
10.24%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
11.02%

Watched Threads