The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jed will probably remember me, since I had to step in as QB for Doughty after he got crushed by a huge D-lineman against Kent :/ I ended up playing in most of the games after that, but wasn't particularly great. I remember getting injured by Scott (I can't remember his last name) in a training session that completely ****ed up my career xD I was trying to join the R.A.F. at the time and couldn't attend my fitness test because I could barely walk. Ah well, back on track now =D

Did you play for the youth team in '08? Beating Swindon in our little scrimmage was pretty much the only high point. A lot of growing pains =P But hey, I threw a TD =] When I played for the seniors, I was on kick returns and CB. Only got one pick though against South Wales.
Original post by The Egg Militia
Jed will probably remember me, since I had to step in as QB for Doughty after he got crushed by a huge D-lineman against Kent :/ I ended up playing in most of the games after that, but wasn't particularly great. I remember getting injured by Scott (I can't remember his last name) in a training session that completely ****ed up my career xD I was trying to join the R.A.F. at the time and couldn't attend my fitness test because I could barely walk. Ah well, back on track now =D

Did you play for the youth team in '08? Beating Swindon in our little scrimmage was pretty much the only high point. A lot of growing pains =P But hey, I threw a TD =] When I played for the seniors, I was on kick returns and CB. Only got one pick though against South Wales.

sweet :smile:

I had a couple of picks.

no i didn't play in 08.

glad you're "back on track" :L
Original post by paddy__power
Do any of you watch Friday Night lights? I've watched every episode in like a week and it is a brilliant show. I recommend to anyone who likes those sorts of things, and it has a focus on AF :smile:

Clear eyes, full hearts.

Best show ever.
Original post by georgegabriel
Clear eyes, full hearts.

Best show ever.

Can't lose!

I was so sad that it finished, it's so good! I thought it was a little clumsy with character development sometimes and the writers strike ruining half of a whole season was annoying but despite this it is still one of my favourite shows.

Favourite character?
Original post by paddy__power
Can't lose!

I was so sad that it finished, it's so good! I thought it was a little clumsy with character development sometimes and the writers strike ruining half of a whole season was annoying but despite this it is still one of my favourite shows.

Favourite character?

I thought the storylines got a little silly as the seasons progressed but seasons 1, 2, and 3 are fantastic, particularly season 1. It's such a well made show and you can't help but love it. The ONE thing that I've noticed (and it's really picky) is that the playcalls are totally wrong, they'll call a play like "28 Trap" in the huddle and then they'll throw the ball, or vice versa! Also sometimes the uniforms are different, between the sideline and on the field :biggrin:

But yes, a remarkable series and my favourite character is without doubt Smash, he just has so much swagger and I was so happy when he got into Texas A&M!
Original post by georgegabriel
I thought the storylines got a little silly as the seasons progressed but seasons 1, 2, and 3 are fantastic, particularly season 1. It's such a well made show and you can't help but love it. The ONE thing that I've noticed (and it's really picky) is that the playcalls are totally wrong, they'll call a play like "28 Trap" in the huddle and then they'll throw the ball, or vice versa! Also sometimes the uniforms are different, between the sideline and on the field :biggrin:

But yes, a remarkable series and my favourite character is without doubt Smash, he just has so much swagger and I was so happy when he got into Texas A&M!

There are inconsistencies and issues but they can be forgiven. I quite liked the latter series as it had a different feel. I think Smash is everyone's favourite character to be honest. Second for me is Tim, and I like Buddy as well. At the end I really think they would do a "X went on to..." but they didn't. Hopefully one day it will return!
Original post by The Patriot
Fearless = ability to run over the middle, commit to a catch and not flinch, even though there is a meaty, angry, sweaty linebacker waiting for you who would like nothing more than to break your legs and will try with all his might to do so. also the ability to run headlong into a tackle defenseless without slowing down.

If you aren't scared of hits. can run fast, can jump well. and are committed to learning, you could be a good wide receiver.

learnt to catch. strong hands are important.

however at uni level, (and youth in the UK), the running game rules.

you could always try QB, but you would probably be a back-up for a while.

Is it likely for first years to play in the uni team (and compete) if they've never played american football before? competition is what will most drive me to improve.

Wide receiver does look like a fun position though.

What is training like? Would it be difficult to focus on wide receiver first year, but still training for quarterback? I'm still not really sure which I would most prefer.
Original post by .Theory
Is it likely for first years to play in the uni team (and compete) if they've never played american football before? competition is what will most drive me to improve.

What is training like? Would it be difficult to focus on wide receiver first year, but still training for quarterback? I'm still not really sure which I would most prefer.

Depends on the uni, and how good you are. If you're good then there would be no point holding you out just because you're a rookie. Obviously the amount of competition depends on how good the team is.

Again, it is difficult to tell you how hard training is as it varies from team to team.
Original post by burningnun
x

According to Twitter the MMU Mercenaries are now the MMU Eagles... any ideas why? I don't think it sounds as good...
Original post by .Theory

It depends on the team. I.e how many players they have, how many are veterans, how good the starters are etc. But you stand a chance.

I would try and focus on one position tbh, because there is a surprising amount to learn as a beginner.

Training is done differently by all teams. In short, different skill positions tend to split up and run individual drills like sprinting and catching for wide receivers, running drills for running backs, tackling drills for linebackers etc, you get the idea.

There is a fair bit of cardiovascular fitness stuff, and stuff to get you used to wearing pads (which is very strange at first).

Usually, most training sessions have a scrimmage at the end of varying time lengths where the offense and defense try out the plays they have been practicing against each other. Hence why offensive players tend to be friends with the other offensive players, and vice versa, but there is still a team spirit.

(Personal opinion of course, but go for wide receiver. QB is not as glorified as it seems, and it's not that fun IMO. It's the receivers and running backs that make the plays.)
Original post by Hedgeman49
According to Twitter the MMU Mercenaries are now the MMU Eagles... any ideas why? I don't think it sounds as good...

Oh god no, you need the alliteration!

lol no idea. I don't really know much about MMU, I just know one of their players on FB (from here actually). Someone told me this at dinner though.
Reply 1492

Our head of business guy said it would be easier to get sponsors with a name that wasn't to do with war and stuff. Personally I dont care as long as they still let me truck people on the way to the end zone.
Reply 1493
I've always wanted to get into American Football but I just find it too stop start to be entertaining. Maybe I've just watched bad games.

If I did follow it I'd support the Patriots since last time I was in the states I was in New England and got a Patriots t-shirt :cool:
Original post by jk49
I've always wanted to get into American Football but I just find it too stop start to be entertaining. Maybe I've just watched bad games.

If I did follow it I'd support the Patriots since last time I was in the states I was in New England and got a Patriots t-shirt :cool:

BEST TEAM EVARRRRRR <3

(imo)

That is a common problem people cite about american football, and believe me it is hard to get past for a while.

But once you learn about the tactics, and watch an interesting, fairly close game, then all you have to do is watch one the whole way through and then it gets interesting :smile:

I tend to do other things while watching :smile: Like homework, eating, writing, drawing, texting or whatever.

there are always highlights, and you can squeeze stuff in between the plays :P
Reply 1495
Original post by The Patriot
BEST TEAM EVARRRRRR <3

(imo)

That is a common problem people cite about american football, and believe me it is hard to get past for a while.

But once you learn about the tactics, and watch an interesting, fairly close game, then all you have to do is watch one the whole way through and then it gets interesting :smile:

I tend to do other things while watching :smile: Like homework, eating, writing, drawing, texting or whatever.

there are always highlights, and you can squeeze stuff in between the plays :P

Yeah thats another problem for me I don't really get the tactics and as I don't regularly watch a game I tend to forget what I picked up in the previous game.

Perhaps if I studied the tactics I'd enjoy it more, it can't be that bad if so many people like it tbh.

When they (the commentators) talk about one teams offence is it a different set of players to the defence? or are they just talking about what the team is doing at that time? (does this question make sense lol) because when I do watch/listen to the commentary it seems that each team takes it in turns for offence and defence and a different set of players is used for each. If you have no idea what I'm on about just ignore this tbh.

Think I'll try and properly get into it next season.
Original post by Stevo_Mc
Our head of business guy said it would be easier to get sponsors with a name that wasn't to do with war and stuff. Personally I dont care as long as they still let me truck people on the way to the end zone.

Fair enough... was just curious as to why!

An MMU player? I'll be seeing you on Jan 29th haha
Reply 1498
Original post by Scott129
An MMU player? I'll be seeing you on Jan 29th haha

Youll probably only be seeing my ass while im running in for a TD. Enjoy your "easy win"
Youll probably only be seeing my ass while im running in for a TD. Enjoy your "easy win"

Haha, just going on what other people have said.
What position you play?

Latest