The Student Room Group

The 5th and 6th Year Choices Thread

Scroll to see replies

yes, I agree, Higher History. It's a really good subject, and way easier than Modern Studies.
I think you should be happy with Higher History. It's a really good higher.
Do you have a goal as such?
Like if you want to go to university, what do you want to study. Context is helpful :smile:
Just wondered if anybody here did the Science Baccalaureate, and what did they think of it.
This year I'm doing Adv Biology, Adv Chemistry, Adv Physics and Higher Philosophy, so I was wondering if the Baccalaureate would be be worthwhile, as that's already a lot of science, and advanced higher sciences also include some investigative work. Does it make a huge difference to your application?

Thanks for any help
Reply 224
I was going to do it but I pulled out of it. It doesn't look that great to be honest, and it looks as if they expect a lot of work in it for a not great qualification. I don't think it'll make any difference whether you have it or not. Obviously it would be a bonus, but you've already got 3 investigations to do which will be more than enough already so I'd say don't do it.
Reply 225
Original post by Inlineadam
a C in advanced higher is BETTER/higher rated than an A at higher.

So that clears up that part, ( they're not a waste of time )

And also, places like cambridge/oxford require 3 advanced highers usually so if you want to go there! lol.

Haven't done business management so can't offer advice there, but i imagine it can't be too hard. The dumbest of my year can do it..

A C at AH is not better than an A at higher. It's generally considered that a B at AH is better than an A at higher, and a C is about equal. But they can't really be equated in that way so it's a bit petty trying to compare them like that anyway.

Some English universities will require 3 AHs, but (as an example) my offer for Maths at Warwick was based on 2 AHs, but one of them had to be a band 1 (Maths). Obviously this is for that course, but it might give you a general idea.

If you want to crash Business then you can - a lot of 6th years did it at my school and most of them seem to be fine.
Reply 226
Original post by davidmarsh01
A C at AH is not better than an A at higher. It's generally considered that a B at AH is better than an A at higher, and a C is about equal. But they can't really be equated in that way so it's a bit petty trying to compare them like that anyway.

Regarding that point, they were probably going by UCAS point rating, where an Advanced Higher C is worth more than a Higher A.
Reply 227
Original post by Armaros
Regarding that point, they were probably going by UCAS point rating, where an Advanced Higher C is worth more than a Higher A.

Ah, UCAS points :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd rather get an A in a higher than a C in an AH any day.
Most people doing Business at my school seem to dislike it a lot :P. Plus if you look at the results, they're not very good. I would only crash it if you're genuinely interested in it, and not just as a filler subject.
Reply 229
Original post by derangedyoshi
Most people doing Business at my school seem to dislike it a lot :P. Plus if you look at the results, they're not very good. I would only crash it if you're genuinely interested in it, and not just as a filler subject.

Everyone I know says it's boring.
Reply 230
Do you have to do 5 subjects? Most people in 6th year did 4, and a few (like myself) only did 3 (but they did tend to be 3 AHs). It might be nice to have to worry about one subject less rather than taking 5 :smile:
Do you have to do 5 subjects? Most people in 6th year did 4, and a few (like myself) only did 3 (but they did tend to be 3 AHs). It might be nice to have to worry about one subject less rather than taking 5 :smile:

No... I'm planning to change AH Computing so it would be 4 subjects :smile:

Original post by GingerGoat
Do you have a goal as such?
Like if you want to go to university, what do you want to study. Context is helpful :smile:

I plan to go to university but in terms of career/subject I'm pretty lost. Sorry :frown:
From your other choices at the moment it doesn't seem you're a very mathematically oreintated person, so i wouldn't suggest AH Maths or Physics, which generally you would take together or in combination with another science, and it's probably best you look at how well you did for these subjects at higher before you decide. As people have suggested, taking crash higher history is a good option, as this year i did History as an extra Higher and didn't turn up to many lessons, but didn't find the course very difficult, and if you're taking Modern Studies you'll be to some extent familiar with source analysis and essay writing. As for chemistry, if you did Intermediate 2 or Standard Grade and passed well then it's a good option, and is an excellent and informative course. If the chemistry department are more to your liking, it's definetly a useful course to have.
Everyone I know says it's boring.

Yeah, that's what worries me about it. I think I would only take it as a backup e.g. if the columns don't work for what I really wanted

Thanks for all your help guys, I guess I can have a think over the summer holidays :wink:
Original post by LonelySoul193

Consider the teachers you could get in all of your options as well as possible class sizes. These are quite important in your enjoyment and learning of a subject. As you said, the Computing teacher puts you off AH..
How about AH Physics, doesn't look too bad and you can work quite independently, you know with your investigation and all that.
Business is not boring :yep: :tongue:
AH Biology
AH Chemistry
AH Physics
H Philosophy
Science Bacc
Debating whether to drop the baccalaureate
Original post by Inlineadam
a C in advanced higher is BETTER/higher rated than an A at higher.

So that clears up that part, ( they're not a waste of time )

And also, places like cambridge/oxford require 3 advanced highers usually so if you want to go there! lol.

Haven't done business management so can't offer advice there, but i imagine it can't be too hard. The dumbest of my year can do it..

A 'C' at advanced higher is not better than an 'A' at higher. A 'B' at advanced higher us seen as the equivalent of an 'A' at higher in general/ by most universities
Reply 238
Original post by ComingAliveAgain
A 'C' at advanced higher is not better than an 'A' at higher. A 'B' at advanced higher us seen as the equivalent of an 'A' at higher in general/ by most universities

I was going to do it but I pulled out of it. It doesn't look that great to be honest, and it looks as if they expect a lot of work in it for a not great qualification. I don't think it'll make any difference whether you have it or not. Obviously it would be a bonus, but you've already got 3 investigations to do which will be more than enough already so I'd say don't do it.

thanks, I think I will drop it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending