The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Una Cerveza, Por Favor
is their any advantage in applying early for accomodation? is there a deadline?

i feel ive left it a bit late and im worried my "popular" choices will all be taken already

sorry if questions have already been asnwered

Original post by Zottula
It's not first come first served. Everyone who gets their application in before the deadline (29th July) gets equal consideration.

This. Also, allocations -all- happen in late August/Sept after the "condies" know whether they've aced or flunked their conditions (and after Imperial weeds out some of the latter), so you needn't worry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Zottula
Yeah they send a different email for accommodation. The email is very obvious as it's titled "Accommodation Application for Imperial" or something like that.

Thanks :smile: literally the day after asking that I got the accom. email and worked out what was going on lol x
Reply 822
Original post by BlueRingedOctopus
Thanks :smile: literally the day after asking that I got the accom. email and worked out what was going on lol x

Awesome :smile:.

I got so excited waiting for my accommodation email and was so happy when it came. Then I filled it out, sent it off and realised what an anti climax that was. Now I'm bored again :frown:.
Reply 823
Original post by Zottula
Awesome :smile:.

I got so excited waiting for my accommodation email and was so happy when it came. Then I filled it out, sent it off and realised what an anti climax that was. Now I'm bored again :frown:.

This is where I'm -half- glad I have something to work on/toward, keeps me busy :tongue: What have you been up to as of late, Zo? ^^
Reply 824
Original post by arianex
This is where I'm -half- glad I have something to work on/toward, keeps me busy :tongue: What have you been up to as of late, Z? ^^

Been doing a few odd jobs. Mostly catering work and selling books. Not particularly thrilling. Can't wait to go to uni really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 825
what's the deal with the questions? it seems like theres some hidden meaning. So what if I sleep after 11? What do you guys think favours single rooms and which favours a double?

Also just an unlinked question, is it possible to appeal to Imperial if we don't meet our conditions? Or should we send an e-mail before the results come out (as it states on the website) to cite 'special circumstances'?

Cheers
Reply 826
Original post by homer6
what's the deal with the questions? it seems like theres some hidden meaning. So what if I sleep after 11? What do you guys think favours single rooms and which favours a double?

Also just an unlinked question, is it possible to appeal to Imperial if we don't meet our conditions? Or should we send an e-mail before the results come out (as it states on the website) to cite 'special circumstances'?

Cheers

Not so much hidden meaning as it is to make sure you don't get put with a night owl if you're the kind who turns in early, or vice-versa. It's called being considerate, because you're never guaranteed a single unless you're under 18 anyway.

If you've got some mitigating circumstances that come up during your exams, I'd actually contact both exam board and Imperial as soon as you can. Imperial may take a while to decide/get back to you, though, as they really want to see how much you've been affected (as in when results get released.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 827
Original post by homer6
Cheers

No hidden meanings. It's just to make sure that if you don't get a single you at least get paired up with someone compatible.
Original post by homer6

Cheers

Before 11 = more likely eastside/southside After 11 = more likely beit. Well that was the guess from my lot.
This may seem like a really weird question, but on the note of appealing to Imperial, what if I were to achieve an A* in further maths, and an A in maths? According to my offer I'd be rejected, but surely it still shows I'm mathematically capable and just made a silly 'slip' in the Maths exams?

Chances of it happening are 1 in a million, but just checking :P .
Reply 830
Original post by ViralRiver
This may seem like a really weird question, but on the note of appealing to Imperial, what if I were to achieve an A* in further maths, and an A in maths? According to my offer I'd be rejected, but surely it still shows I'm mathematically capable and just made a silly 'slip' in the Maths exams?

Chances of it happening are 1 in a million, but just checking :P .

Apparently, for EEE, they'll let you in. they told us that on the open day. I have no idea if it still stands. getting 90 in C3 C4 is defo easier than getting 90 in 3 modules for FM. Or maybe that's because I'm doing FP2 AND FP3.
I'm doing both FP2 and FP3 as well, but getting 90 in D2 and M2 still count towards the A* :wink: .
Reply 832
Original post by ViralRiver
I'm doing both FP2 and FP3 as well, but getting 90 in D2 and M2 still count towards the A* :wink: .

Haha same here :wink: M2 and S2 here. Need to get 82 in one module, and average 71 overall :tongue:
Reply 833
how popular is wilson? I really really want to get there 'cause I really need my own fridge and i love playing pool. having practice room in my hall seems great too.
Reply 834
Original post by Kagesou
how popular is wilson? I really really want to get there 'cause I really need my own fridge and i love playing pool. having practice room in my hall seems great too.

*Very*, as it's one of the cheapest (and nicer actually) single options available (despite the distance.) Hard as it is, try not to get attached to one particular hall...
Reply 835
Original post by Kagesou

Very popular as it has cheap singles. Don't expect to get it if you apply. Especially as you have to make 5 choices (and they don't let you put them in order of preference!) and you aren't even guaranteed one of your 5 choices. Don't get too attached to anywhere.
Reply 836
Hi!
Gotten through Imperial for MRes. in Biomedical Research!! Absolutely thrilled and can't wait to be there! But am a little zapped about the accommodation. Have they already sent out letters for post-graduate housing? Does anyone have any idea about Clayponds Village??:confused:
Reply 837
Original post by Zottula
Very popular as it has cheap singles. Don't expect to get it if you apply. Especially as you have to make 5 choices (and they don't let you put them in order of preference!) and you aren't even guaranteed one of your 5 choices. Don't get too attached to anywhere.

damn I thought people would go for the halls closer to campus. The good thing though is that I'm under 18 so I'm guaranteed a single, and I've chosen price as the more important factor.

/faileffort to stay optimistic :/
Reply 838
For this year, a lot of people who didn't choose it did get Wilson in the end. But then again, there is a big lack of affordable single rooms at Imperial.
Your strategy sounds quite good, just hope you don't get Parson's House or Fisher :biggrin:
Reply 839
Original post by Kagesou
damn I thought people would go for the halls closer to campus. The good thing though is that I'm under 18 so I'm guaranteed a single, and I've chosen price as the more important factor.

/faileffort to stay optimistic :/

They do, especially those of our kind (read: internationals) who are minted like heck (because of Eastside and Southside, ehe. I definitely don't fall under that category.) It's just that after the close-to-campus halls, the *somewhat* next in line (maybe even on par) on the "oversubscribed" list would have to be cheap singles (you'd be surprised about how many hate the idea of sharing.)

Apart from the halls, also try not to get too attached to the thing about having your own fridge. Not many halls offer them (there's another hall that does but I forgot which), and most of us "normal" folk do without it anyway. It's not a "really need" (your words, not mine...!) thing, unless you're a diabetic - in which case, you can email them and they will provide you with a fridge for your insulin. :tongue:
Also, most of them have pool tables (some free, some maybe 20p or so a go) and there are quite a few good practice rooms in the Blyth Center on campus + pianos in some of the other halls, so it's not like Wilson is the only one that has all you need (yay for compromise. :biggrin:) It's just a matter of having a mature enough mindset to make do with/appreciate what you get given.

What other halls have you applied for (or if you haven't sent off your app, are considering?) Based on the fact that you prioritized price, I'm guessing that you'd have gone for the other cheaper singles, which would be the Evelyn Gardens ones...

PS// I'm assuming you'll be under 18 in Oct...otherwise, that single-room guarantee won't happen. Some of the under-18s I spoke to were only allowed to put down one option on the form, which was weird.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending