The Student Room Group

AQA A2: Aspects of International Relations 1945-2004

Hey guys! I've been on a gap year and im resitting this exam on 10th June!!!

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some decent internet resources for revision. Also is there any essay tips in particular how to set out a high level answer and are there any suggestions on what areas i should focus my revision on?

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone????
in terms of essay tips, our teacher has told us to consistently make our judgement throughout the essay, and try to avoid using "I" when making your judgement

e.g. if you get a question on soviet expansionism causing the cold war, you make your judgement and stick with it throughout the essay, and when referring to the factors that you don't agree with, just mention them and then say how you disagree if you get what i mean

also in terms of historiography, make sure you analyse it if you want the top marks, and don't just mention it

anything else you wanna know just mention it and i'll try and help :smile:

p.s. got a revision lesson on tuesday and my teacher is giving us possible questions which could come up, so i'll post them on here if you want
Reply 3
If you want a quick overview on the whole period, the videos linked on this site http://www.neok12.com/Cold-War.htm are a great alternative way of building a foundation of knowledge. Besides that, I haven't really come across any internet resources so my ability to help is rather limited with regards to that, sorry.

With regards to the essay structure, keep the introduction short and simple. Make your opinion clear in the introduction, and then go on to provide evidence as to why you support such a view. Each point you make should be backed up with concise examples, try and remember as many dates as possible, and deliver as many synoptic points as you can. Synopticity will get you right into the Level 5 and into the A grade. You don't have to go into too much unnecessary narrative detail describing particular events such as the Korean War or Peace Summits etc. but you must make it evident to the examiner that you are aware of the context of these events. A balanced argument will also help you hit the top grades; you must express why an alternative view would be invalid.

I understand that's a little vague, but as long as you know your material, you shouldn't have too much of a problem delivering a judgement in your essay. I've got some sample essays that I could send you, if you'd be interested? They're a great way to revise too!:smile:
Reply 4
Was there an exam in January 2011? If so, does anyone know what questions came up.

Thank You
Original post by amandjdj
Was there an exam in January 2011? If so, does anyone know what questions came up.

Thank You

nope, there's only been 1 exam, which was last june
Reply 6
Cheers

So we can assume that questions that came up last yr wont be similiar to any this year?!

Anyone got any gut feelings about what might come up?

I am failing this exam miserably!!:frown:
Original post by amandjdj
Cheers

So we can assume that questions that came up last yr wont be similiar to any this year?!

Anyone got any gut feelings about what might come up?

I am failing this exam miserably!!:frown:

i can't see it to be honest. there's plenty of questions they could ask to be honest, don't really expect anything to come up on the cuban missile crisis, for example.

we've been told that there will be an overview question, no if's or buts. there the good questions IMO because you won't need to mention everything, and you won't need to go in as much depth either

there will obviously be a depth question, so that could be about vietnam, detente etc... and our teacher said that there will most likely be something about the early years & the causes of the cold war, so learn that really well :smile:
Reply 8
Guys im wetting myself! for the introduction should i just pick out key terms in the question and define them within the context or should i just hint towards what im going to conclude. Also in terms of structure should i really just do point, evidence, explanation, and then link it to other factors?

Also this sounds really stupid but what is a synoptic point? is that linking things together?
Friday is nearly here! eek
Reply 9
Yeah you should pick out key words and define them, but also make a judgement hinting towards what you're going to conclude and then ensure you present arguments which back up your viewpoint.

Oh and synoptic refers a range of factors from the whole time period covered.

I'm bricking it for Friday now :|
some quick fire questions for people, if you fancy it :biggrin:

causes of the CMC
what was ostpolitik, and what treaties were signed through it?
why did reagan pursue a militaristic FP?

reply with your own questions to keep it going :biggrin:
Reply 11
Would the causes of the CMC go under the soviet rationale?
Reply 12
I found a website where you can watch a bbc documentary on the cold war & international relations. I've found it really useful as it covers all the topics on the course up to 1994 in loads of detail. Its great for last minute revision or if you don't like revising from textbooks. hope it helps and good luck :smile:

http://www.peteava.ro/id-480081-cold-war-comrades-1917-1945-1-24
Original post by Rose02
Would the causes of the CMC go under the soviet rationale?

usa, ussr and castro (there's also the 'other' factor of slow communication)
Reply 14
Original post by rachelhan

Original post by rachelhan
I found a website where you can watch a bbc documentary on the cold war & international relations. I've found it really useful as it covers all the topics on the course up to 1994 in loads of detail. Its great for last minute revision or if you don't like revising from textbooks. hope it helps and good luck :smile:

http://www.peteava.ro/id-480081-cold-war-comrades-1917-1945-1-24

By far the best thing ever! i might just die though because history is soo boring but thanks!
Reply 15
rachel has saved my life!
Reply 16
oh my god, thank god. literally thought NO ONE else was doing this course.
we've been taught quite a bit on how to approach the overview questions differently to the ones where you're given a specific time period . . . still terrified.
Reply 17
ps. to the thread starter - I'm also resitting it this year as I got a B but need an A for uni !
half feeling more confident the second time round, half completely daunted by how long a period the course is and how much it contains ! :|
Reply 18
Original post by ejfejfejf
oh my god, thank god. literally thought NO ONE else was doing this course.
we've been taught quite a bit on how to approach the overview questions differently to the ones where you're given a specific time period . . . still terrified.

What have you been taught to do differently? We just been taught PEE for all of it :confused:
Reply 19
Original post by ivyprep
rachel has saved my life!

aha its fine :smile: glad to help I don't know what i would have done without it! The textbooks are so boring. I just hope it all goes in by friday

Quick Reply

Latest