University of Liverpool Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Larch House [:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 221
Original post by ashtrayheart1992
hey which one do u think is better for first year, Dale Hall or Prospect point? this is for my 3rd choice, my first choices are derby and rathbone catered and self catered

Dale, if I remember rightly (I think one of my mates lived there a few years back), it's one toilet/bathroom between two people. Plus Carnatic food is alright
Reply 222
I have a room confirmed at Prospect Point! Anybody else?!
Reply 223
Original post by Chessieee
I have a room confirmed at Prospect Point! Anybody else?!

Me too! what flat are you in? I'm in 96 :smile:
Reply 224
Hi! For anyone who hasnt applied for accommodation yet, thought I'd just post this ...

A lot of people seem to be going for on-campus accommodation. This is fine and is generally nicer than off-campus (Greenbank or Carnatic) but everyone I know who lives there would definately prefer to be off-campus. Normally, foreign students live in on-campus accommodation, so I know people who are the only English person in a flat of eight, the others generally all being Chinese (this is not racist or anything at all btw, I'm just stating that for a few of my friends, this is hard as they never get to meet anyone else and the chinese people just speak amongst themselves and do not speak very good English, therefore cannot include English students much). Therefore I would DEFINATELY go off-campus.

Greenback has better rooms, but Carnatic is definately better for the social side of things, because of the way it is laid out people in Carnatic seem to make friends more easily, so it just depends what you want. Don't let horror stories about the food put you off - I heard so many before I arrived and I'm a fairly fussy eater, but there is definately something for everyone everyday, and they do vegetarian options everyday too. I would definately choose catered for first-year, simply because the food is fine and while you're settling in etc it is SO much easier not to have the hassle of shopping, cooking, then clearing up afterwards. And you won't have your parents on the phone all the time checking if you're still eating :wink: seriously though, plenty of time to cook for yourself in 2nd and 3rd year, you might as well keep yourself stress-free for a while - moving away from home and starting uni is such a big deal, to not have to worry about food really helps you settle in, and it helps you make friends as you meet so many people over dinner too.

Rooms-wise, Greenbank are probably better, but its not like Carnatic are really bad. It's unlikely you'll be spending much time in your room anyway (or at least I didnt), you'll be at uni during the day, then out at night! Some of the halls have common rooms as well which have tvs etc, so many people just hang there instead of being on their own in their room.

Ensuites are also really not that big a deal - I think its much better to save yourself some money and share a bathroom. I've never once had to wait for a shower (and that's on a floor with 21 other girls) so it's not like they're busy. The bathrooms and toilets are also cleaned every day, whereas with an ensuite that responsibility is down to you!

The uni is easy to access from off-campus halls (obv not as easy as on-campus haha, but somethings gotta give) and you can buy a bus pass for the year when you get here. Your bus pass covers any Arriva bus in the North-West at any time, so its really really good value. Buses are every 10 mins and every 5 mins at peak times (9-10am, 3-5pm) and are really reliable. Personally I don't have any problems about getting up 10ish minutes earlier for my 9am lectures in order to catch the bus.

Can't remember about Greenbank, but Carnatic has lots of facilities, including tennis courts, squash courts, table tennis tables, libraries, launderettes, and Carnibar. These are all things I'm pretty sure don't get included at the on-campus accommodation areas.

Hope this has helped a little bit - please don't get put off on-campus accommodation from this, cause I'm sure you'll still have just as much fun etc! I'm just putting my opinion on where I think is best to live, and hope it helped :smile:
Reply 225
Hello everyone! Has anyone who is hoping to start liverpool in september recieved an offer from prospect point yet? Thanks :smile:
I'm in Lennon Studios Block A, Flat 8. Anyone near?
Reply 227
Original post by Jonerez
Hello everyone! Has anyone who is hoping to start liverpool in september recieved an offer from prospect point yet? Thanks :smile:

Yep, unconditional offers have :smile:
Reply 228
Original post by ItsRach
Yep, unconditional offers have :smile:

Ohh right, i was getting concerned as loads of people have been getting offers and i havent! Explains it though as i only have a conditional offer haha :P. What subject are you doing?
Reply 229
Original post by GreenRomance
I started at Liverpool Uni last September and I lived in Roscoe and Gladstone Hall for two months. It wasn't brilliant to be honest, the food wasn't great, the fire alarms went off quite a lot... There is a bar and a games room upstairs but they were never open! So the only social area is the dining room, as the bedrooms are too small to fit many people in. There was normally a long wait in the bus queue every morning, as there is one main bus stop shared between two big halls of residence. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't choose to live there again. I'm going back to Liverpool this September to start a different course and I'm living in UNITE accommodation on the campus [: Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you so much for your help! I have applied to Melville - hope that's a good idea?! Also, sorry to be a nuisance, I am so excited to go to Liverpool and the entry requirements are BBB - I am predicted this and achieved this at AS. The only problem is I am retaking two papers from january (as I got a C and a U) so I am treading on really thin water here...

If i got BBC, what do you think the chances are of them still accepting me? Thanks again, worried sick! x
Reply 230
Original post by Bail1
Creaseddd at that! I already planned to sneak zoo tycoon in with me! :biggrin:

hahah i was joking.. haha yeah screw the student union its all about zoo tycoon!
Reply 231
Original post by swithers1
If i got BBC, what do you think the chances are of them still accepting me? Thanks again, worried sick! x

Shouldn't be a major issue, they let me in with one (or two) grades down. Only courses the resits would be a major issue would be medicine or vet science
Reply 232
Original post by DMed
Shouldn't be a major issue, they let me in with one (or two) grades down. Only courses the resits would be a major issue would be medicine or vet science

Thank you, I just thought with it being the last year of the tuition fees being reasonably low this may affect this? no joke im ****ting it haha
Reply 233
Original post by imogen.
Hi! For anyone who hasnt applied for accommodation yet, thought I'd just post this ...

A lot of people seem to be going for on-campus accommodation. This is fine and is generally nicer than off-campus (Greenbank or Carnatic) but everyone I know who lives there would definately prefer to be off-campus. Normally, foreign students live in on-campus accommodation, so I know people who are the only English person in a flat of eight, the others generally all being Chinese (this is not racist or anything at all btw, I'm just stating that for a few of my friends, this is hard as they never get to meet anyone else and the chinese people just speak amongst themselves and do not speak very good English, therefore cannot include English students much). Therefore I would DEFINATELY go off-campus.

Greenback has better rooms, but Carnatic is definately better for the social side of things, because of the way it is laid out people in Carnatic seem to make friends more easily, so it just depends what you want. Don't let horror stories about the food put you off - I heard so many before I arrived and I'm a fairly fussy eater, but there is definately something for everyone everyday, and they do vegetarian options everyday too. I would definately choose catered for first-year, simply because the food is fine and while you're settling in etc it is SO much easier not to have the hassle of shopping, cooking, then clearing up afterwards. And you won't have your parents on the phone all the time checking if you're still eating :wink: seriously though, plenty of time to cook for yourself in 2nd and 3rd year, you might as well keep yourself stress-free for a while - moving away from home and starting uni is such a big deal, to not have to worry about food really helps you settle in, and it helps you make friends as you meet so many people over dinner too.

Rooms-wise, Greenbank are probably better, but its not like Carnatic are really bad. It's unlikely you'll be spending much time in your room anyway (or at least I didnt), you'll be at uni during the day, then out at night! Some of the halls have common rooms as well which have tvs etc, so many people just hang there instead of being on their own in their room.

Ensuites are also really not that big a deal - I think its much better to save yourself some money and share a bathroom. I've never once had to wait for a shower (and that's on a floor with 21 other girls) so it's not like they're busy. The bathrooms and toilets are also cleaned every day, whereas with an ensuite that responsibility is down to you!

The uni is easy to access from off-campus halls (obv not as easy as on-campus haha, but somethings gotta give) and you can buy a bus pass for the year when you get here. Your bus pass covers any Arriva bus in the North-West at any time, so its really really good value. Buses are every 10 mins and every 5 mins at peak times (9-10am, 3-5pm) and are really reliable. Personally I don't have any problems about getting up 10ish minutes earlier for my 9am lectures in order to catch the bus.

Can't remember about Greenbank, but Carnatic has lots of facilities, including tennis courts, squash courts, table tennis tables, libraries, launderettes, and Carnibar. These are all things I'm pretty sure don't get included at the on-campus accommodation areas.

Hope this has helped a little bit - please don't get put off on-campus accommodation from this, cause I'm sure you'll still have just as much fun etc! I'm just putting my opinion on where I think is best to live, and hope it helped :smile:

Thanks so much for your information! I have already applied for Melville Grove and Prospect Point as my second - I am in no way racist but was wondering if I will probably be with many people from overseas? Cheers!
Reply 234
Original post by Nims
Melville Grove anyone?

yeah :smile: have you received information about your room or anything? like room number, etc?
Original post by Genevieve-Elenor
I'm in Lennon Studios Block A, Flat 8. Anyone near?

Oh I'm in Lennon studio's, block G flat 92! Bit of a way away but same building!
Reply 236
yeah :smile: have you received information about your room or anything? like room number, etc?

hi :smile: yeh i'm in 466. have you had your room offer?
Reply 237

hello... nope because i have a conditional offer so waiting on results! eeeek
Reply 238

hello... nope because i have a conditional offer so waiting on results! eeeek

ahh good luck then!!
Reply 239
[

ahh good luck then!!

thank you!! what are you studying?

Quick Reply