The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cz100
Probably biomed but don't know where yet. I wouldn't mind something like history as well but that's out of the question, can you imagine history admission tutors sitting reading a medicine PS?

Thanks. All the best with your GCSEs too.

I'm gonna do a pisstake and apply for Economics at LSE or Cambridge as my fifth choice. I don't want to do biomed, if I don't get in then I will take a gap year gaining experience and apply again.
Reply 3261
Original post by Nator
@cz100: Lol it would be funny, but wouldn't risk it, spells instant rejection to me so wouldn't risk it, only apply with something related to your PS :smile:

P.S. Sorry I couldn't quote; didn't let me :frown:

It's ok. I do like history as well but it's time to say goodbye after this year. I took it to A-Level but the admissions tutor told me firmly to drop it and do as much science as possible
Reply 3262
Original post by Straight up G
I'm gonna do a pisstake and apply for Economics at LSE or Cambridge as my fifth choice. I don't want to do biomed, if I don't get in then I will take a gap year gaining experience and apply again.

If you're being serious then wow, brave man.
Reply 3263
Original post by cz100
It's ok. I do like history as well but it's time to say goodbye after this year. I took it to A-Level but the admissions tutor told me firmly to drop it and do as much science as possible

What subjects you doing currently?
Original post by cz100
If you're being serious then wow, brave man.

I'll write a separate economics personal statement. If there's anyway possible at combining economics and medicine in the future, I will definitely look into it, and I'll probably talk about that at interviews and maybe in my PS. Maybe work at NICE or within the NHS management...
Reply 3265
Original post by Nator
What subjects you doing currently?

biology chemistry physics maths history.
I know you have darling, you miss me every day. Make me a sandwich?

Yeah, I don't know what the 4 sections or the profile bit at the end actually involve, but I'm just gonna rely on the book. Doesn't seem that hard like the BMAT though, which is irritating. I found the questions on the BMAT pretty easy but then only got like half of them right, which was really annoying, because I thought it was a pisstake but all the questions were really deceptive. And FML for the essay section, so glad UKCAT doesn't need that.

Lazy ****, you made a map, now make a sandwich.

Yeah I've got no idea about the end bit either, but it's not counted in the score so doesn't matter to me right now. The decision analysis, the code reading bit, seems quite fun though :ninja: I've got a BMAT book, it might be a bit crap, I'm not sure, but the second section seems fine, like the maths/chem questions were all straight foward but I don't know how how closely resemble the actual questions. Need to go over GCSE physics though, fml. Yeah the essay section seems like a complete bitch though :shifty:

Straight up G
Making a map was easy, I did it in an economics lesson. All you have to do is draw England and then draw all the universities you can think of. How's that difficult? Getting off the chair however, now that is a bit annoying. I like the chair.

I don't care, I've drawn another one now. Suck on it biaaaaaaaaatch

Anyone know how much Oxford and Cambridge use the BMAT in comparison to each other? I know Oxford prefers GCSE grades, and Cambridge AS UMS marks, in comparison, but anyone know how much they use BMAT? I'm sure it's on TSR but I cbs to look for it and would prefer it someone just gave it to me on a platter.... Also, how much do they care about work experience?

Yeah, my map drawing skills and knowing where all the unis fall on that map are quite poor. It can't be very neat if you drew it that quickly though :hmmm:

I'm not completely sure, but I think Oxford look at the BMAT more than Cambridge, I THINK. I've heard of some people not doing so great in the essay section and not having a problem with Cambridge. Basically they just want you to be able to answer their insane interview questions.
Reply 3267
I'll write a separate economics personal statement. If there's anyway possible at combining economics and medicine in the future, I will definitely look into it, and I'll probably talk about that at interviews and maybe in my PS. Maybe work at NICE or within the NHS management...

Looks like you have it all sussed out. Tbh I don't know if I could bring myself to write a second PS. We've had to hand in a first draft and it's probably the most cringeworthy thing I've written.
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
Looks like you have it all sussed out. Tbh I don't know if I could bring myself to write a second PS. We've had to hand in a first draft and it's probably the most cringeworthy thing I've written.

You've already written a first draft? :gasp: I'm trying not to think about it for as long as possible lol.
Reply 3269
Original post by oHellno
You've already written a first draft? :gasp: I'm trying not to think about it for as long as possible lol.

Not by choice. Our careers teacher set us a deadline of 1st April and said he won't mark any that's handed in after.
Reply 3270
Original post by cz100
biology chemistry physics maths history.

Like me without history :biggrin: So shouldn't have a problem with section 2 of the BMAT :biggrin:
Original post by oHellno
Lazy ****, you made a map, now make a sandwich.

Yeah I've got no idea about the end bit either, but it's not counted in the score so doesn't matter to me right now. The decision analysis, the code reading bit, seems quite fun though :ninja: I've got a BMAT book, it might be a bit crap, I'm not sure, but the second section seems fine, like the maths/chem questions were all straight foward but I don't know how how closely resemble the actual questions. Need to go over GCSE physics though, fml. Yeah the essay section seems like a complete bitch though :shifty:

Yeah, my map drawing skills and knowing where all the unis fall on that map are quite poor. It can't be very neat if you drew it that quickly though :hmmm:

I'm not completely sure, but I think Oxford look at the BMAT more than Cambridge, I THINK. I've heard of some people not doing so great in the essay section and not having a problem with Cambridge. Basically they just want you to be able to answer their insane interview questions.

No you make me the sandwich. That's why I got married... to you.

Yeah **** physics. **** it. I literally know nothing, the most blagged A* anyone has ever done, ever. Essays are gay. Everyone knows that. **** essays. BMAT is so much more irritating than it looks.

Well, I'm proactive so I got my phone out and got a map of England up, and just copied that onto the piece of paper. I've lived in a load of places so I know geography fairly well, and half of them are in London, so it wasn't that difficult aha.

Are you thinking of applying to either? I want to apply to one BMAT university, but cost of living in London seems too high so I'm left with Oxbridge. Anyway, I'll think more about that after UKCAT and results day.
Original post by cz100

Should have seen my CV for my application to the Junior Apprentice, now that was cringeworthy. I don't really mind writing another one, because I enjoy economics and I'd probably blag less than the one on my Medicine, and because there's no pressure on me, as it's a giant pisstake haha.
Reply 3273
Yo cz100 you done any work exp? If so how much you done and what have you done? :smile:
No you make me the sandwich. That's why I got married... to you.

Yeah **** physics. **** it. I literally know nothing, the most blagged A* anyone has ever done, ever. Essays are gay. Everyone knows that. **** essays. BMAT is so much more irritating than it looks.

Well, I'm proactive so I got my phone out and got a map of England up, and just copied that onto the piece of paper. I've lived in a load of places so I know geography fairly well, and half of them are in London, so it wasn't that difficult aha.

Are you thinking of applying to either? I want to apply to one BMAT university, but cost of living in London seems too high so I'm left with Oxbridge. Anyway, I'll think more about that after UKCAT and results day.

Yeah, but we're not married anymore...awkward.

LOOL the exam must have been a joke because I knew nothing, understood nothing, I didn't even bother, just learnt a few equations and that was it. Actually gonna have to read my CGP book now :erm: Essays are not always gay, but writing a proper ethical one is gay :sad: We did this practice thing at school, and I was alright at the Critical Thinking bit, with some revision maybe I could do okay in the 2nd section. Gaaah!

Yeah my geography is ****, I don't know where anything is, it's shameful. Also I got a new phone, it's great :biggrin:

I don't even like thinking about Oxbridge lol. People keep expecting me to apply, have thought of both and I think if I were to apply it'd probably be Cambridge. But I really don't think I'd get through their interview, seems too risky. Most likely not applying to them.
Reply 3275
Anyone got a map of medical schools in the UK?

At my school we actually get given booklets, in which there is a map of universities in the country, if I ever get a hold of a copy I'll send you it :biggrin:
Original post by oHellno
Yeah, but we're not married anymore...awkward.

LOOL the exam must have been a joke because I knew nothing, understood nothing, I didn't even bother, just learnt a few equations and that was it. Actually gonna have to read my CGP book now :erm: Essays are not always gay, but writing a proper ethical one is gay :sad: We did this practice thing at school, and I was alright at the Critical Thinking bit, with some revision maybe I could do okay in the 2nd section. Gaaah!

Yeah my geography is ****, I don't know where anything is, it's shameful. Also I got a new phone, it's great :biggrin:

I don't even like thinking about Oxbridge lol. People keep expecting me to apply, have thought of both and I think if I were to apply it'd probably be Cambridge. But I really don't think I'd get through their interview, seems too risky. Most likely not applying to them.

You still have sandwich making duties, GO ****ING MAKE ME SANDWICH.

I didn't even learn any equations because we got given them. I sold my CGP book off first chance I got, ripped some year 10 kid off (I sold it for a tenner it costs a fiver in shops LOLOL). Essays are gay, unless it's an interesting subject. Ethics are boring as **** so ethics essays are boring and gay.

I'm sure it is, London girl? And well done? I don't know what to say really haha. Enjoy it? Was it the one that you said before (wildfire)?

Tbh, I'm sure you would. Every girl I know applying for medicine massively, massively underrates their chances, I'm sure you're not different.
Original post by Nator
At my school we actually get given booklets, in which there is a map of universities in the country, if I ever get a hold of a copy I'll send you it :biggrin:

Ahh it's alright I just drew it out again
Reply 3278
Ahh it's alright I just drew it out again

Ok den no probs
Reply 3279
I kkinda have a stupid question.
are we allowed to take our own calculator to the ukcat exam? or do we get given one? i heard that you get really rubbish calculators in the real exam...is that true?

Latest

Trending

Trending