The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatal
I genuinely thought Buckfast was a Scottish thing? I've never seen it at home and never heard any one drinking but perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places!

As Renal said it's from Devon, but I've never seen it South-West. From what I gather they love it in NI and Scotland, cause of many a brawl! The girlfriend says they call it Lurgan Champagne where her families from.
Original post by Philosoraptor
I feel so uneducated around you guys - I'd never even heard of Buckfast...also I've never heart Northern Ireland called that thing you guys call it before...probably because I know approximately 2 people from there haha :p:

That is a major portion of their population mind.
Reply 3862
Bloody hell finals have been brutal thus far. We had an EMQ about the nuances of thromboprophylaxis in pregnancy and breastfeeding (do we give 2 weeks of clexane? 4? 7? fondiparinux? TEDS?), the various ways of managing ?ectopic pregnancies (with each stem being subtlety different) and on 5 causes of nipple discharge. My backside is well and truly sore.
Original post by visesh
Bloody hell finals have been brutal thus far. We had an EMQ about the nuances of thromboprophylaxis in pregnancy and breastfeeding (do we give 2 weeks of clexane? 4? 7? fondiparinux? TEDS?), the various ways of managing ?ectopic pregnancies (with each stem being subtlety different) and on 5 causes of nipple discharge. My backside is well and truly sore.

I've got finals in two weeks and I hope that *******s doesn't turn up. I'm gubbed if it does.
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
I've got finals in two weeks and I hope that *******s doesn't turn up. I'm gubbed if it does.

Are you in the med school that does finals in fourth year?
Original post by Mushi_master
As Renal said it's from Devon, but I've never seen it South-West. From what I gather they love it in NI and Scotland, cause of many a brawl! The girlfriend says they call it Lurgan Champagne where her families from.

Buckfast is horrible stuff, yet all my friends at home drink it. It's really because of how cheap it is and they use it for pre-drinks before heading out
Reply 3866
Original post by crazylemon
Looking at our BScs the new pharm one looks interesting...

I really have no idea which one I want to do...

Do you get to put down a few options on your application?

Do something you vaguely enjoy - because even if you do - you might still hate it lol.
wish we had a pure pharm one

Imperial do pharmacology? Wonder if (1) it'll be open to externals and (2) whether it'll be popular with internals.
Original post by John Locke
wish we had a pure pharm one

What's the system like at Oxford(?)? (I know externals can't apply... just curiosity.)

It is new, will have 20 places and the biomeds get priority so probably 15 places for our year, so you might if it turns out not to be popular...

Ah, so it looks grim for an outsider.
Original post by Kinkerz
What's the system like at Oxford(?)? (I know externals can't apply... just curiosity.)

Choice of;

A. Neuroscience

B. Molecular Medicine

C. Myocardial, Vascular & Respiratory Biology

D. Infection & Immunity

E. Signalling in Health and Disease
Choice of;

Spoiler

Pretty reasonable choices, but I think I did expect more.

What do you think you'll go for?
Original post by Kinkerz
Pretty reasonable choices, but I think I did expect more.

What do you think you'll go for?

it used to be more of a pick and choose physiology degree that was much more diverse (but also complicated!) so they slimmed it down to that. there are various themes in each that give you a wide range of potential topics to study which you can choose as you see fit so its not like its tooooo linear.

dunno, never done A & D and we have more C to come so can only speculate for now. E seems quite likely though, it's as pharmalicious it comes :tongue: shame theres no pure biochemistry in any of them though
Reply 3874
It is new, will have 20 places and the biomeds get priority so probably 15 places for our year, so you might if it turns out not to be popular...

I know :biggrin:

Yeah but 95% get their first choice so I should get whatever I want considering I don't want to do management...

I put down Cardiology Studies first, developmental medicine second and public health third...fingers crossed I'll get my first choice!
it used to be more of a pick and choose physiology degree that was much more diverse (but also complicated!) so they slimmed it down to that. there are various themes in each that give you a wide range of potential topics to study which you can choose as you see fit so its not like its tooooo linear.

dunno, never done A & D and we have more C to come so can only speculate for now. E seems quite likely though, it's as pharmalicious it comes :tongue: shame theres no pure biochemistry in any of them though

You've never done any D? D's cool.

You'll also get the option of doing an option in Experimental Psychology, which will be a term's worth of lectures and tutorials (~8L/6T)

... I wouldn't recommend it.

Also worth pointing out for any who is interested that there's a surprising amount of overlap between themes (to the extent that some are shared). And they don't fit as easily in to the need BM part 1 classifications (e.g. neuro has a section on development and a section on neurotransmission - which is very molecular).
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, today's exam was random.

Of ALL the questions they could have possibly asked us given one of our 'seen pbl cases' had a woman diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome secondary to SLE (with possible Sjögren's involvement), they decide to ask the most random questions. One literally went along the lines: "...blah blah suffered from alopecia which was worsened during pregnancy. Draw a labelled hair follicle (4marks)". :dry:

My 'drawing' was atrocious. :/ I don't think anyone saw that one coming. :p:

We had more random questions: one asked us to define 'axilla'. :/ Er, it's your bloody armpit, who cares? :p:

Ahh, these examiners will enjoy reading some of my answers.

Ah well, EMQ and SBA paper tomorrow morning. Must get back to last minute cramming.
:work:
Original post by Medicine Man

Ah well, EMQ and SBA paper tomorrow morning. Must get back to last minute cramming.
:work:

Good luck!
Choice of;

A. Neuroscience

B. Molecular Medicine

C. Myocardial, Vascular & Respiratory Biology

D. Infection & Immunity

E. Signalling in Health and Disease

Oh wow, that seems really limited compared to what we get :s-smilie: one of my friends is doing engineering as his part II (intercalated year)

Latest

Trending

Trending