The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by balloon_parade

Carlisle, good experience? What are the placement team like? x

I had really rotten luck with placements, to be honest. Make sure you're really forceful on it, you've got kids, so you really don't have the time or the energy for two hour long commutes!
Original post by Teao the Cat
I had really rotten luck with placements, to be honest. Make sure you're really forceful on it, you've got kids, so you really don't have the time or the energy for two hour long commutes!

Hmm, hopefully I will be ok. Uni and placements aren't really much better when you have children they take stance that 'you knew what you were getting in for' etc. So I just hope they are a little bit sympathetic to my cause! I can only ask and see what happens! :tongue: It's going to be a ridiculously tough 9 months, but worth it in the end. This time next year I could have my dream job! That's what I'll be thinking when it gets hard going anyway. I have a large support network of family and friends so hopefully I'll make it in one piece.

Have you finished now? Have you recovered? hehe x
Original post by Teao the Cat

2 hour commutes?? :eek::eek::eek:

I thought such long commutes have always been the preserve of the rich, never realized they would make aspiring teachers to do the same.......whoa.

It's a long story so I shall cut it short! I did a BA (HONS) Primary education and dropped the QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) because I couldn't hack the placements at the time (It is extremely demanding and I had 2 very small children ect ect!) so I graduated without it. So now, to be fully qualified teacher I need to go back and do a part PGCE (and get my QTS) so I am doing a Lower Primary PGCE at Cumbria University. Confused? hehe! So I will finally be qualified 6 years, 2 children and a marriage after originally starting in 2006! :tongue:

It doesn't matter how long it took for you to get there....life isn't a race :biggrin:

Hope by this time next year you will be having your dream job, though I just can't see how being a teacher could be a dream job :biggrin: Sounds like a nightmare to me :biggrin:
Reply 203
Original post by Erich Hartmann
2 hour commutes?? :eek::eek::eek:
I thought such long commutes have always been the preserve of the rich, never realized they would make aspiring teachers to do the same.......whoa.

Err lots of people travel for 1.5 - 2 hours to get to work or uni in the Netherlands.
Edit: I may add, by train.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zenobia
Err lots of people travel for 1.5 - 2 hours to get to work or uni in the Netherlands.

I think it's shocking is because it's teacher training and your aren't getting paid, you can work ridiculous hours a week without the commute! I'm hoping they are nice to me. I do drive so I know that will make it better for me.

Erich Hartmann

It doesn't matter how long it took for you to get there....life isn't a race

Hope by this time next year you will be having your dream job, though I just can't see how being a teacher could be a dream job Sounds like a nightmare to me

Thank you! Well here's hoping! Oh, I know I will just love it! :biggrin:
Reply 205
I think it's shocking is because it's teacher training and your aren't getting paid, you can work ridiculous hours a week without the commute! I'm hoping they are nice to me. I do drive so I know that will make it better for me.

I agree, for placements it's ridiculous. You don't have a choice in it, which is unfair. Once of my friends studying English and Education had to travel to the other side of Amsterdam last year for her teaching placement, while some of her course-mates from Amsterdam had to travel to schools in our area! Hah.

For uni and work though it's a different thing, because then you are aware of it, and choose it yourself. Most students spend hours on the train doing all their coursework, and I am sure my mum also goes over a lot of her work-work on the train (she's an editor so she reads manuscripts).

I think it's funny because the Netherlands is absolutely tiny, yet people here seem to travel way further to work than anyone in the UK. In Durham's micro-universe people think walking a 20 minute distance takes absolutely forever. I haven't seen half my friends this year because they think I live so far away haha.

Driving can help, but it can also men tey give you the back-of-beyond schools, so can go both ways! You get really idiotic placement descisions sometimes: like my first placement, which was within 10 minutes bus ride of one of the other trainees, and her's was within tenminutes walk of me. Instead, we each had to have over an hour on the bus.
Sounds just like Edge Hill was! I know that schools have preferences and such and I do really empathise as it must be difficult to place so many people but still, I want somewhere close! :tongue: *stamps feet*

I've found out the placements I am doing, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 2 weeks and 8 weeks, I think it will be tough but I do hope it is enjoyable too! I just want my QTS and then the long slog of getting my NQT year finished and landing a permanent job. It's a struggle! :tongue: Have you finished now Teao?

Zenobia: I will try not to complain much then, seems like students in your country have it much worse!
Reply 208
It's a long story so I shall cut it short! I did a BA (HONS) Primary education and dropped the QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) because I couldn't hack the placements at the time (It is extremely demanding and I had 2 very small children ect ect!) so I graduated without it. So now, to be fully qualified teacher I need to go back and do a part PGCE (and get my QTS) so I am doing a Lower Primary PGCE at Cumbria University. Confused? hehe! So I will finally be qualified 6 years, 2 children and a marriage after originally starting in 2006! :tongue:

PMP: Glad your fridge came... at last!

EH: Ah, your LO sounds lovely! I love it when they try to talk like an adult, so cute!

We had Milly's Birthday party yesterday, can't believe she is 2! We had a garden party and the weather was just gorgeous, she is so sneaky though, we put all her presents inside to open later and she snuck in and opened them all, hehe bless!

Hope everyone is well!

:biggrin:

Sounds like a great opportunity, the fact it took you 6 years isn't the be all and end all. It is just so good that you have worked hard to get there, hope you really enjoy it!

Aww bless Milly, glad the weather was nice for you. She sounds so cute, she clearly couldn't wait for the presents, atleast at that age you can't get in trouble for opening pressies when you aren't meant to :biggrin:

I went to visit a friend that has an 18 month old. He is so sweet. When i was texting my friends on my phone he took it from me and started talking, he was going "ummm" and "yeah" and laughing, it really seemed like he was having a real convo bless him, although if there had actually been someone on the phone he would have gone all shy! I can't really understand anything he says though, still a bit mumbly, even his mum doesn't have a clue most of the time... i just agreed with everything!!!
Reply 209
Zenobia: I will try not to complain much then, seems like students in your country have it much worse!

Lol don't worry about complaining. Especially with two small kids at home it's silly to make you travel for hours upon hours. They should really take a closer look at individual cases.

I travelled for a full 29 hours last year to get to my placement hahaha - in a far corner of Romania. 4 flights, 2 train rides, 1 subway, 1 bus and 1 taxi.
Original post by Zenobia

It's not usual for people to commute 1.5-2 hours for work everyday in Britain, train fares can be quite expensive and unreliable.
@ nobody in particular :

My uncle commutes from Leeds to Manchester ever day and that is considered a really far commute. That wouldn't be a usual sort of distance to travel for work here. Half an hour yes, but more than an hour each way would be seen as being really far.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 212
It's an interesting one, because several of my friends where i live have parents to commute to London quite a few days a week and that is 1.5 hours away. I think it's mainly because it works out cheaper than living there.
Reply 213
Original post by Erich Hartmann
It's not usual for people to commute 1.5-2 hours for work everyday in Britain, train fares can be quite expensive and unreliable.

Here people get discounts when they commute for work and many people get reimbursed by their office as well. My mum only has a discount card, but one of her friends even gets first class train tickets paid (not at a particularly more fancy job either). You are right though: train fares in the UK are ridiculous. I used to think it was expensive in Holland, but it's practically nothing in comparison.
The thought of a 2 hour commute, a long working day, and a 2 hour commute home makes me feel ill! It's just wasted time when I could be either with my girls or doing extra work! I know for me it will only be for a maximum of 8 weeks and a minimum of 2 so it's not for life! When I am on the job hunt I will be looking for a maximum of 50 minutes! I'm lucky to live in quite a centralish area to Liverpool, Manchester and Preston so I have a wide scope for jobs. Fingers crossed !

Ahh, I went on a nursery school trip with Bella and her class today, they are a forest school so we went to some woodland where we had a camp fire, made hats from leaves, practised sawing wood (under strict supervision!), climbed trees and had toasted marshmallows! Fab :smile:

Hope everyone is well!
BP that sounds like it was fun! I'm going on a woodland trip with Alex and his nursery too on 23rd June. Apparently we're going to do :

"exploring and enjoying woodland nature
story telling
making magic potions
fairy hunt
hide & seek, foxes tails and other games"

Speaking of trips, Lydia is off to Scarborough tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain for her. They're going to the Sea Life centre there, as well as playing on the beach. She gets to take her bucket and spade! Weirdly though they have to wear their school uniforms! Whoever heard of playing on a beach in a school uniform!? Bizarre!
Original post by Zenobia
Here people get discounts when they commute for work and many people get reimbursed by their office as well. My mum only has a discount card, but one of her friends even gets first class train tickets paid (not at a particularly more fancy job either). You are right though: train fares in the UK are ridiculous. I used to think it was expensive in Holland, but it's practically nothing in comparison.

We do have season tickets in UK as well, but if you start commuting from a 1.5 hours away place it will definitely start costing you a lot even with a season pass.

For me, it worked out cheaper to drive in to London from our house which is 1hr10mins away than it is to get a season pass.

The thought of a 2 hour commute, a long working day, and a 2 hour commute home makes me feel ill! It's just wasted time when I could be either with my girls or doing extra work! I know for me it will only be for a maximum of 8 weeks and a minimum of 2 so it's not for life! When I am on the job hunt I will be looking for a maximum of 50 minutes! I'm lucky to live in quite a centralish area to Liverpool, Manchester and Preston so I have a wide scope for jobs. Fingers crossed !

Ahh, I went on a nursery school trip with Bella and her class today, they are a forest school so we went to some woodland where we had a camp fire, made hats from leaves, practised sawing wood (under strict supervision!), climbed trees and had toasted marshmallows! Fab :smile:

Hope everyone is well!

They allowed a nursery age child to consume marshmellows?? :eek::eek::eek:

Hope you get a placement that's nearby...... it's such a pain to commute especially if half the time is spent stuck in traffic.

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
@ nobody in particular :

My uncle commutes from Leeds to Manchester ever day and that is considered a really far commute. That wouldn't be a usual sort of distance to travel for work here. Half an hour yes, but more than an hour each way would be seen as being really far.

I do Henley-On-Thames to London close to where HMS Belfast is moored most days a week when I'm in Britain :biggrin: I believe the distance is further than Leeds - Manchester..... I don't really consider it far :biggrin: Don't mind the commute, so long as I don't have to do it in a train.

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
BP that sounds like it was fun! I'm going on a woodland trip with Alex and his nursery too on 23rd June. Apparently we're going to do :

"exploring and enjoying woodland nature
story telling
making magic potions
fairy hunt
hide & seek, foxes tails and other games"

Speaking of trips, Lydia is off to Scarborough tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain for her. They're going to the Sea Life centre there, as well as playing on the beach. She gets to take her bucket and spade! Weirdly though they have to wear their school uniforms! Whoever heard of playing on a beach in a school uniform!? Bizarre!

What??? Going to the beach in school uniform? I guess you could look at it this way, at least they won't be going into the water :biggrin:

Seems like a rather usual trip to go to the woodlands these days, my LO's school is having a woodland trip as well. One of the teachers of the school was asking DW whether they could bring a trip to visit one of our plots where we are trying the regenerate, not sure if we would allow it yet.
Reply 217
Guys here's my baba :smile:

It was taken at 10+6 weeks.

Can anyone guess the gender?
Reply 218
Original post by Tufts
Guys here's my baba :smile:

It was taken at 10+6 weeks.

Can anyone guess the gender?

Could be a boy......or maybe I'm looking at it wrong :tongue:
Original post by Annie72

Original post by Annie72