The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Has anyone got the january F215 paper? I have done last years june one.. but can't find the january one anywhere?
Reply 641
Original post by Mcfilly
Has anyone got the january F215 paper? I have done last years june one.. but can't find the january one anywhere?

Look at my recent posts, i made one with both Jan 2011 papers :-)
Original post by Mcfilly

Or here if you fancy an internet based one :smile:
Reply 643
Original post by Kidms001
Or here if you fancy an internet based one :smile:

Thanks!! Is there a mark scheme?
Original post by Mcfilly
Thanks!! Is there a mark scheme?

There is... but no cheating! :hmmm:

Spoiler

Reply 645
There is... but no cheating! :hmmm:

Spoiler

haha! I won't be cheating :smile: I just need to mark it afterwards lol, can you send me the link for the mark scheme please?
Original post by Mcfilly
haha! I won't be cheating :smile: I just need to mark it afterwards lol, can you send me the link for the mark scheme please?

It's in the spoilers... :s-smilie:
Reply 647
It's in the spoilers... :s-smilie:

Haha, oh yeah! Silly me! thank you!!
Reply 648
For the commercial uses of plant hormones, there are loads in the book.. but do you think it will be ok to just learn a couple for each hormone?
Reply 649
Can some please help me

1) explain, with examples, the terms interspecific and intraspecific competition?

2) Difference between the terms conservation and preservation?
Reply 650
Original post by Dandan10
Can some please help me

1) explain, with examples, the terms interspecific and intraspecific competition?

Interspecific competition happens between individuals of a different species, it can affect the population size and distribution of a species in an ecosystem. A Russian scientist said that more overlap between two species niches would result in more intense competition. If two species have exactly the same niche, one would be out competed by the other and would die out or become extinct in that habitat. This idea is known as the competitive exclusion principle and can be used to explain why particular species only grow in particular places.

Intraspecific competition happens between individuals of the same species. As factors such as food supplies are limiting, individuals have to compete for them. The individuals best adapted for obtaining food will survive and reproduce, while those not so well adapted will die and fail to reproduce. Intraspecific competition keeps population size fairly stable. If the population size drops, competition is reduced and the population size then increases and if population size increases, competition is increased and the population size drops.

Conservation is the maintenance of biodiversity including diversity between species, genetic diversity within species and maintenance of a variety of habitats and ecosystems.

Preservation is the activity of protecting something from loss or danger in a process that saves organic substances from decay.
Original post by Dandan10
Can some please help me

Intraspecific competition is competition between members of the same species. This could be over space, nutrients/resources and mates. One example could be Penicillium fungi in a fermenter to produce Penicillin.
Interspecific competition is competition between different species in an ecosystem. This, again, could be over space and food/resources (I don't have a specific example, but you could bring in Galapagos islands :s-smilie:)

Conservation is the active maintenance of an area through sustainable management and maintenance of biodiversity. Preservation is keeping an area exactly as it is with no external influence (I think).
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you motivate yourself for this module? Especially the Biodiversity stuff....
Reply 653
Original post by intellectual1
How do you motivate yourself for this module? Especially the Biodiversity stuff....

I guess the fact that this exam is the decider on whether i get into uni or not is a pretty motivational thing haha!

Just keep it going! only 6 days to go and the exam will be gone!

It is pretty boring but i have ways of making myself feel good when i have learnt something well.. just stupid things like traffic light systems for each point on the specification.. when its green.. you feel good! haha!!

simple things please simple minds though I guess :P :smile:
Reply 654
F211 had questions on heart and source sink sucrose...
F212 had questions on smoking, biodiversity CITES :P DNA sequence, replication etc, Photosynthesis, Starch, Cellulose...near the start those missing words to fill hmmm there was stuff about Enzymes indeed.. Coenzymes etc
F214 January had a 3 mark question on labelling parts of the brain...so anything is possible from F214 especially so...as there's only 1 hour to assess the topics...there's likely to be a few F214 questions in F215....

to be fair, they can pick bits out of anywhere relevant if they want - it won't be massive mark questions but it will be a few.
e.g in f214, this jan there was some synoptic of f212, where you had to label the two bonds.
Do you guys think we'll be tested on diseases we studied in F212? Cos I personally think that's independent to F212 itself?

What about conservation in situ and ex situ? Ads and disads of these? CITES??
Original post by heartskippedabeat
I always get confused and do the wrong questions on the old papers :tongue: but yeah i might try it!

haha thanks, you too i'm sure :biggrin: i don't usually stress this much for exams!

All the papers are like almost a 200MB Zip file...takes a while to download...but all those questions are the questions which feature on the examwizard compilation cds which only centres are allowed and not available to students...paperbank...hmm the F215 papers are from the Options as well as 2804 the Unit 4 of the old spec...my upload them on mediafire.com after I got through these C3 papers..The old papers were very very similar...it was almost entirely exam techniques...but there are new questions in the new spec...
Original post by sportycricketer
Do you guys think we'll be tested on diseases we studied in F212? Cos I personally think that's independent to F212 itself?

What about conservation in situ and ex situ? Ads and disads of these? CITES??

More likely to have F214 content...F212 the big topic is Molecules...Enzymes to be specific...what about practicals? There was a question on the Spirometer in F211 hmm
(edited 12 years ago)
More likely to have F214 content...F212 the big topic is Molecules...Enzymes to be specific...what about practicals? There was a question on the Spirometer in F211 hmm

The only practicals that we did were the assessed practicals :frown: .. But PCR and electrophoresis may come up (Or possibly immobilisation of enzymes?)
The only practicals that we did were the assessed practicals :frown: .. But PCR and electrophoresis may come up (Or possibly immobilisation of enzymes?)

They can ask us questions on practicals which are part of the spec only...or give us data and graph to analyse explain etc PCR could feature...it has'nt been examined yet has it?:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending