The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Madderroo
The first thing I'd say is that it would need to be longer, so try to go into more detail on some responses, also don't be afraid to use bullet points and diagrams, it doesn't all have to be prose, I realise I have kind of contradicted myself but parts that are just writing, try to be detailed on them, your range of topics appears to be good, but again more detail and try to get more length on it, it is really difficult to get a really good mark on a shorter essay, but the short amount of time we get for it is ridiculous!

Good LUCCCKKKK :smile:

Thanks!!!!! I spent 30 mins on it all because I spent to much time on the other part.

I knew I needed detail but what could I have said? I didn't know how to say more or what to say! What specifically would you have mentioned. Thankyou for going over it. I thought it was rubbish and just waffle! I wish you well on your exams toooooooo! You sound like a really lovely person!
Original post by hiyarearl
I'll mark it later tonight probably and give you feedback. It looks good on the face of it. :biggrin:

Thankyou, please do! :biggrin:
Original post by Madderroo
HAH! whoops, which one was 140 UMS? was it 2? I can never remember the unit numbers! awkwarrddd :P

unit 1= 100
unit 2= 140
unit4=100
unit 5=140

the isas are 60 each methinks!
Original post by parallal
I'm trying to practice one essay every day. I time myself to make sure I can finish in about 40 mins. I was also thinking of looking over the AS book to refresh my memory on certain topics.

What about you?

Someone told me to make a spider diagram of all topics and link them so you see the link and so that you don't have to learn too much further information. I'd doing it on word. If I finish and its good I'll post it here :biggrin:

How are you marking your essays and where are you getting the essay titles from?
Reply 384
Unit 5 is actually quite interesting, except the Ethics stuff is annoying
Original post by l4ith
Unit 5 is actually quite interesting, except the Ethics stuff is annoying

Yeah that's so true (far better than unit 4 anyway :tongue:)

Also, only just realised that we have the same insurance as well as firm, clearly you know what you are doing UCAS-wise :biggrin:
Reply 386
Original post by Destroyviruses
Someone told me to make a spider diagram of all topics and link them so you see the link and so that you don't have to learn too much further information. I'd doing it on word. If I finish and its good I'll post it here :biggrin:

How are you marking your essays and where are you getting the essay titles from?

That's a good idea. That should be helpful.

I haven't actually but if I can find someone to mark one or two that would be great. I've got two booklets on writing synoptic essays from my biology teacher. And one of them has a long list of essay topics.
Do you have any essay questions I could practice, NOT from the specimen or 2010 june paper?

When ever I see a question i can think of a sentence to answer it and thats it.

no sorry im lacking resources on this section of the exam too. I only have the two available. Im hoping i can find some online.
Original post by parallal
That's a good idea. That should be helpful.

I haven't actually but if I can find someone to mark one or two that would be great. I've got two booklets on writing synoptic essays from my biology teacher. And one of them has a long list of essay topics.

Could I find them booklets online? I need help! "hiyarearl" said she'd mark mine maybe she'd mark yours too. Or I could mark yours if i get this dumb mindmap finished.
Original post by Ramin Gorji
no sorry im lacking resources on this section of the exam too. I only have the two available. Im hoping i can find some online.

"parallal" says she's got a list maybe she'll be willing to type some up for you.
Original post by M.A.
Just looked at the spec and it says " The technique of genetic fingerprinting .... and its use in determining the genetic variability within a population."

what does this mean?! :s-smilie: and how would you determine the variability?

You can use it to check for alleles everyones got. And that'd help you calculate variability.
Could I find them booklets online? I need help! "hiyarearl" said she'd mark mine maybe she'd mark yours too. Or I could mark yours if i get this dumb mindmap finished.

she... she!!!!!!! I'm of the masculine sort I'm sorry to inform you.

Yeah I'll look at the essay and comment shortly. :smile:

Aw, sorry! You sound so nice and unsnobby! I thought you were a girl!:colondollar: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Omg your doing medicine at birmingham! You'll get to go the the queen elizabeth hospital itss sooo lovely and the underground floor is called -1!!!And I've got an offer at bham tooo for chemistry.
Reply 394
Hey where can i find the nelson thorne questions? I downloaded a load of pdfs, like chapter9+ but it was only the answers. No questions.

Thanks!!
Reply 395
does anyone have any questions on the last chapter (16)
would be really helpful thanks
We should do a thing where someone asks a question, then they answer it then they ask one as well. Will help us revise?

Explain the process of the action potential (6 marks)
Reply 397

in root cells higher concentrations of IAA decrease growth so for the same reason this causes plant root cells to bend away from light and IAA collects on the light side, which elogates faster than the shaded side to the plant bends towards the shaded side and grows into the soil.=)

do we have to know this detail? because I don't get it lol! :confused:
I thought we just needed to know how IAA increases growth in cells in the stem and the fact that it decreases growth in roots!
Reply 398
Original post by Jackbruce
Hey where can i find the nelson thorne questions? I downloaded a load of pdfs, like chapter9+ but it was only the answers. No questions.

Thanks!!

apologies for posting again, would really like to know!
Original post by M.A.
do we have to know this detail? because I don't get it lol! :confused:
I thought we just needed to know how IAA increases growth in cells in the stem and the fact that it decreases growth in roots!

Probably not in that much detail. You'd need to be able to describe the fact IAA moves from the light side to the shaded side causing more elogation on the shaded side in stems but that's probably it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending