The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rockybalboah
=) trust me, success only comes from focusing on ourselves, improving our flaws, re-doing our mistakes

NOT from making others fall. because any person you disuade, there are HORDES of other medical applicants.

for every place there ranged 6- ?? people for a place.

It's not quite that bad, it's more like 1 place per 3 applicants.
Original post by Normandy114
It's not quite that bad, it's more like 1 place per 3 applicants.

=) mate how are you going to do the ukcat

as in, they have an onscreen calc, exactly like the calc we get on microsoft windows, basic.

do you think it's wise to use a calculator in the exam? or is it best to do most of it off-head, but under pressure?

ty! i want to learn to use the memory, recall, and percentage buttons/keep practising on the online calc
=) trust me, success only comes from focusing on ourselves, improving our flaws, re-doing our mistakes

NOT from making others fall. because any person you disuade, there are HORDES of other medical applicants.

for every place there ranged 6- ?? people for a place.

it wouldn't be making them fail, it would just be not putting them at an advantage. Round where I'm from, a lot of people will be applying to near (relatively; as in, Northern) universities. Say the number of places is 200 for a school. 30 people in the year want to do medicine, 10 of them are applying to that school, and 10 or so are applying to somewhere they'll be rejected from without interview. That is a substantial increase in competition.
Original post by ChessMister
it wouldn't be making them fail, it would just be not putting them at an advantage. Round where I'm from, a lot of people will be applying to near (relatively; as in, Northern) universities. Say the number of places is 200 for a school. 30 people in the year want to do medicine, 10 of them are applying to that school, and 10 or so are applying to somewhere they'll be rejected from without interview. That is a substantial increase in competition.

None of you are my competition, the only person i'm competing with is my self, to be the best that i can be under the cirumstances God places on me.

but i will see what you guys do, and take the good from it, thankfull
Reply 3364
Original post by ChessMister
Is it unethical to not tell class acquaintances that they are applying to places which will reject without interview?

This is a question many of you will face. What will you do?

My friend wants to apply to B'ham with an A in english, I didn't tell her she would get rejected, but I said she should talk to them at the open day, saying as on their website they say they prefer candidates with an A* in english at GCSE.
Reply 3365
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but in the UKCAT do you get a calculator for quantitative reasoning?
Original post by liviaaa
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but in the UKCAT do you get a calculator for quantitative reasoning?

yes, according to their site, the print screen they show is the one you have on your computer, it's a simple calculator on screen

livia, when doing the QR section it takes me 15 seconds to read the question, how o nearth do you manage to do the question, and it's complexity in 15 seconds?!

Original post by liviaaa
My friend wants to apply to B'ham with an A in english, I didn't tell her she would get rejected, but I said she should talk to them at the open day, saying as on their website they say they prefer candidates with an A* in english at GCSE.

they priorotise A*'s in science and maths as well, not just english, and they want 8A*'s, a pathetic entrance barrier, ruling out SO MANY PEOPLE...
None of you are my competition, the only person i'm competing with is my self, to be the best that i can be under the cirumstances God places on me.

but i will see what you guys do, and take the good from it, thankfull

Yes, I did have to quash my morals to come to the "being unhelpful" conclusion. Would you go out of your way to tell someone, who was applying to Birmingham with 5A*s 5As at GCSE, that they wouldn't get an interview, if they were going to apply to the same medical school as you if they didn't apply the Bham?
Reply 3368
yes, according to their site, the print screen they show is the one you have on your computer, it's a simple calculator on screen

livia, when doing the QR section it takes me 15 seconds to read the question, how o nearth do you manage to do the question, and it's complexity in 15 seconds?!

they priorotise A*'s in science and maths as well, not just english, and they want 8A*'s, a pathetic entrance barrier, ruling out SO MANY PEOPLE...

Okay thanks! I haven't tried any yet. I've been doing the verbal bit first, now time to have a go at quantative...

--

Yup they do, although offically they are still saying 7 A* in their prospectus.
Original post by liviaaa
Okay thanks! I haven't tried any yet. I've been doing the verbal bit first, now time to have a go at quantative...

--

Yup they do, although offically they are still saying 7 A* in their prospectus.

i am getting mixed reactions from bham

i emailed saying i had 7A*'s in science, maths, english lit
and 2A's and distinctions in double award business, and ouble award it

distinctions are the highest you get in coursework subjects, and require just as much work ...

he said " i may apply"

but bham priorotise on GCSE's , and therefore it's easy for people who have 8/9A*'s to get into...

=) either way unless the mess up the ukcat and bmat, i won't be applying there, actually, i won't be anyway!:smile:

if you had 10A*'s but low ums scores, cambridge would reject you

if you had 15 A*'s but a low ukcat, sheffield would reject

uni's fall inbetween the extremes, they are equal BUT different
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3370

Well with so many people applying they have to have some way of cutting it down. I was told at a medicine talk by someone who know the medicine admissions person at Birmingham and he said each year they get a pile of applications up to their chest. And anyway they are just one medical school.
Reply 3371

distinctions are the highest you get in coursework subjects, and require just as much work ...

he said " i may apply"

but bham priorotise on GCSE's , and therefore it's easy for people who have 8/9A*'s to get into...

=) either way unless the mess up the ukcat and bmat, i won't be applying there, actually, i won't be anyway!:smile:

Yes I tried emailing them too, with 8 A*(after people were saying the cut off had gone up), but they were so vague - I don't think they want to give too much away.
I will defo by applying if I have a low ukcat!
Haha, yes I know what you mean ^. :tongue:
Reply 3372
Original post by liviaaa
Yes I tried emailing them too, with 8 A*(after people were saying the cut off had gone up), but they were so vague - I don't think they want to give too much away.
I will defo by applying if I have a low ukcat!
Haha, yes I know what you mean ^. :tongue:

Arrgh, competition! :tongue:
Reply 3373

he said " i may apply"

Really informative post here :biggrin: Do you think GCSE's of 8A* 2A, and UMS scores of around 275/300, 280/300, 285/300 and 290/300 in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics respectively would have a shot at Cambridge? :smile:
This is going to be one hell of a summer.
Reply 3375
I feel so inadequate with my 4 A*'s :emo:
Reply 3376
Original post by cz100
Arrgh, competition! :tongue:

Haha don't worry on GCSE's - you win. :tongue:
Reply 3377
Original post by Limitless
This is going to be one hell of a summer.

Agreed!
Reply 3378
Original post by Nator
Really informative post here :biggrin: Do you think GCSE's of 8A* 2A, and UMS scores of around 275/300, 280/300, 285/300 and 290/300 in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics respectively would have a shot at Cambridge? :smile:

He/she is now banned. For some reason I think they sounded strangely like sixthformer...

And yes you would, that's 90% or more for all of them. Just depends on your BMAT now.
or I could say you don't stand a chance and cut down my competition:tongue:
Reply 3379
Original post by liviaaa
Haha don't worry on GCSE's - you win. :tongue:

I always wonder if any of us will end up at the same medical school :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending