The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3380
Original post by cz100
I always wonder if any of us will end up at the same medical school :rolleyes:

Yes, it's strange to think! Maybe.. we'll have to wait and see. :smile:
Original post by Nator
Really informative post here :biggrin: Do you think GCSE's of 8A* 2A, and UMS scores of around 275/300, 280/300, 285/300 and 290/300 in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics respectively would have a shot at Cambridge? :smile:

yes, i agree with CZ, you have an amazing chance

i know i can't start blaming, but i've been ill for 6 months, and THOSE were the ums i was aiming for, just not in that order for each subject...

i got roughly around THAT ums for my gcse's

=) but, who knows? i know i'm going to be upset, but yeah

i've got to get back up.

:smile: i can apply to ONLY one bmat UNI, and really liked imperial...but who knows? my a/s could mess it up, and there's the bmat hurdle.

i was aiming for cambridge, but i've had doubts about it now, and i am going for course, less prestige
Reply 3382
Original post by cz100
He/she is now banned. For some reason I think they sounded strangely like sixthformer...

And yes you would, that's 90% or more for all of them. Just depends on your BMAT now.
or I could say you don't stand a chance and cut down my competition:tongue:

Didn't seem like he/she was doing anything mallicious :confused: Sixthformer? Why did she get banned?

Yeah, I flopped Maths big time because of not reading the question properly :colone: So now with a good BMAT and a good interview, should go fine? :rolleyes:

Haha in your dreams cz :wink: Just playin' :biggrin:
Original post by resiliant one

i know i can't start blaming, but i've been ill for 6 months, and THOSE were the ums i was aiming for, just not in that order for each subject...

i've got to get back up.

:smile: i can apply to ONLY one bmat UNI, and really liked imperial...but who knows? my a/s could mess it up, and there's the bmat hurdle.

i was aiming for cambridge, but i've had doubts about it now, and i am going for course, less prestige

seriously, just stop.
Original post by liviaaa
Yes, it's strange to think! Maybe.. we'll have to wait and see. :smile:

Original post by cz100
I always wonder if any of us will end up at the same medical school :rolleyes:

Original post by liviaaa
Agreed!

Original post by sablarrr
I feel so inadequate with my 4 A*'s :emo:

sablar, don't let anyone on these forums or irl make you think they're smarter and have a huge advantage, believe me, if you look at it, there's the ukcat, bmat, ps, interview, and on top, there's a tiny bit of luck.

so you work hard on what you can do the best at

ps 4A*'s is pretty good in my books. as long as you got all A's too, but even if you didn't, there's always hope
Original post by oHellno
seriously, just stop.

am i abusive, pretentious, racist?

or am i trying to be productive, enquisitive, and respectful?

up to you.
Reply 3386
Original post by Nator
Didn't seem like he/she was doing anything mallicious :confused: Sixthformer? Why did she get banned?

Yeah, I flopped Maths big time because of not reading the question properly :colone: So now with a good BMAT and a good interview, should go fine? :rolleyes:

I don't know, I like talking to her but for some reason she always seems to have warning points. If you get banned and come on again with another account that account will be banned as well.

And yes, I'd say you'll be fine. You know which college to apply to yet yet?
Reply 3387

i've got to get back up.

Jee thanks a lot for the confidence! Just needed to know as I know others in my school would be hitting 300's (although they are not applying for med) but just for reassurance :smile:

And hey who knows, you could be getting better than these UMS? And this is just a ROUGH estimate after AS exams, I haven't got my results back :tongue:

And hey don't be glum, you still have the UKCAT and BMAT to go, just nail those and you will be sorted :wink: Don't dig your head in the sand for too long!
Original post by Nator

Bloody spammed everything, made around 550678 posts on the same topic within 5 minutes in one of the Biology exam threads.

On screen calculator will be horrible, completely dreading that :frown:
Original post by ChessMister
Yes, I did have to quash my morals to come to the "being unhelpful" conclusion. Would you go out of your way to tell someone, who was applying to Birmingham with 5A*s 5As at GCSE, that they wouldn't get an interview, if they were going to apply to the same medical school as you if they didn't apply the Bham?

Original post by liviaaa
Okay thanks! I haven't tried any yet. I've been doing the verbal bit first, now time to have a go at quantative...

--

Yup they do, although offically they are still saying 7 A* in their prospectus.

Original post by cz100
Well with so many people applying they have to have some way of cutting it down. I was told at a medicine talk by someone who know the medicine admissions person at Birmingham and he said each year they get a pile of applications up to their chest. And anyway they are just one medical school.

Original post by Limitless
This is going to be one hell of a summer.

Original post by sablarrr
I feel so inadequate with my 4 A*'s :emo:

quote me irrespective of if i'm banned or not, i can read your reply:smile:

guys, do you think i should attend 5-6 open days? i can't afford the train tickets to so many...

i will pick four uni's, so what if i get my grade or ukcat and have a change of heart, but have not visited that uni?

would my interviewrs destroy me, in the sense, " what do you like about our city" ??
Original post by rockybalboah
=) mate how are you going to do the ukcat

as in, they have an onscreen calc, exactly like the calc we get on microsoft windows, basic.

do you think it's wise to use a calculator in the exam? or is it best to do most of it off-head, but under pressure?

ty! i want to learn to use the memory, recall, and percentage buttons/keep practising on the online calc

I do a lot of maths in my head anyway as I normally find it quicker than getting a calculator, so I expect I'll be doing that for most of QR. If complex questions come up or I doubt my working then I'll use the calculator, but why on earth did they have to make it on-screen! It's just awkward!
Have you booked yours yet? I'm going to wait until I find my EMA forms so I can just get the bursary to pay for it instead.
Reply 3391
Original post by cz100
I don't know, I like talking to her but for some reason she always seems to have warning points. If you get banned and come on again with another account that account will be banned as well.

And yes, I'd say you'll be fine. You know which college to apply to yet yet?

Hmm that's weird, I liked talking to her too but you know why she got banned in the first place?

And thanks for the vote of confidence :smile: And nah haven't even had a chance to think about it, hbu?
Reply 3392

guys, do you think i should attend 5-6 open days? i can't afford the train tickets to so many...

i will pick four uni's, so what if i get my grade or ukcat and have a change of heart, but have not visited that uni?

would my interviewrs destroy me, in the sense, " what do you like about our city" ??

:rolleyes:
Well I don't think I'll be going to any, with the excuse it would require a flight etc and a lot of hassle so I'll just try my best and look at their websites. A visit to Cambridge when I was 8 probably won't count.
Reply 3393
Original post by Nator
Hmm that's weird, I liked talking to her too but you know why she got banned in the first place?

And thanks for the vote of confidence :smile: And nah haven't even had a chance to think about it, hbu?

Christ's. I love the sound of it.
Reply 3394

ps 4A*'s is pretty good in my books. as long as you got all A's too, but even if you didn't, there's always hope

Oh believe me, I'm more than happy with my gcse's, but the more A*'s you have, the more of an advantage you have at certain uni's - b'ham, edinburgh etc.

(and some lucky gits have the magic 8A*'s +)

Which is a bloody shame, cos I'd like to apply to Edinburgh. But hey hum, I'm gonna write me a kickass ps :awesome:
Original post by Nator
Jee thanks a lot for the confidence! Just needed to know as I know others in my school would be hitting 300's (although they are not applying for med) but just for reassurance :smile:

And hey who knows, you could be getting better than these UMS? And this is just a ROUGH estimate after AS exams, I haven't got my results back :tongue:

And hey don't be glum, you still have the UKCAT and BMAT to go, just nail those and you will be sorted :wink: Don't dig your head in the sand for too long!

Really? Anything above 290ish is pretty damn amazing. I can get a maximum of 270ish in Maths (because of C1/C2 scores), and a maximum of 285-ish in the Bio/Chemistry (because of ISA's, got low A in both subjects probably). And no way am I getting full UMS in Bio1/Chem1/Bio2/Chem2, so I'd do well to scrape 270. 300 is freakish.
Original post by Normandy114
I do a lot of maths in my head anyway as I normally find it quicker than getting a calculator, so I expect I'll be doing that for most of QR. If complex questions come up or I doubt my working then I'll use the calculator, but why on earth did they have to make it on-screen! It's just awkward!
Have you booked yours yet? I'm going to wait until I find my EMA forms so I can just get the bursary to pay for it instead.

same, i am getting ema

yeah, thats why i've left my old calc and am now focusing on the on screen one

how can you do them in your head?

in the sense that in one question, there may be 4-5 calculations, some may involve 33.3 percent or 71.325 or timsiing 2200 by 430 ect, wouldn't it be quicker in the calc?

even so, when i use the on screen calc! it takes me 15secs to read the question. 10 to use a calc, and 5 to decode it! i spend twice or thrice as much time, that's providing i even understand the question

so atm, i am using gcse books, and online resources to practise percentages, ratio's fractions, how to convrt between them, to do them veryquickly, and converting between curruencies ect.

=D gl man

Just show up early for your interview and have a look around the city and do some research about the city it ain't a big deal.
Original post by Nator
Gaah why did she do that? Was it spamming or conferring of answers? :confused:

No idea, irritated me though. We were trying to talk about the answers to one paper, and she kept on posting in massive writing about a different paper. Was quite annoying.
Original post by rockybalboah
=) mate how are you going to do the ukcat

as in, they have an onscreen calc, exactly like the calc we get on microsoft windows, basic.

do you think it's wise to use a calculator in the exam? or is it best to do most of it off-head, but under pressure?

ty! i want to learn to use the memory, recall, and percentage buttons/keep practising on the online calc

Latest

Trending

Trending