The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Guys, you know when the bacterial (E.coli) take up recombinant plasmid, why do are they resistant to the antibiotic Ampilicillin but the other bacteria that have original plasmids which did not take up the recombinant plasmid die?
Original post by broken_glass_heart
i need an A in every exam to get an overall B in the course...but thats neva gonna happen is it? No way, i 've only revised ecosystems yet, not looked at anything else and i've not even touched da revsion for chem exam which is 2 days afta F215 exam! :angry:

You've got 5 days for Bio5 and almost 7 days for the Chem5...remember the new A2 exams are more concerned with the "application of knowledge in novel contexts!"
Reply 722
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Haha, I seem to be getting up stupidly early recently, whatever time I go to bed :confused: Think it's my brain's way of telling me to get up and revise :tongue:

Argh I know, it's so frustrating. Nothing sticks :frown: What grade are you aiming for?

I need an A, which doesn't seem so likely right now with less than a week til the exam...
Reply 723
Original post by J DOT A
Guys, you know when the bacterial (E.coli) take up recombinant plasmid, why do are they resistant to the antibiotic Ampilicillin but the other bacteria that have original plasmids which did not take up the recombinant plasmid die?

right the plasmid has 2 resistant genes for ampicillin and tetracycline - the insulin gene is inserted into the middle of the tetracycline gene as the restriction enzymes used have their restriction site in the middle of the gene - so if a plasmid takes up the insulin gene, it will only have the ampicillin gene that functions

so you can either get bacteria with the recombinant plasmid (they only grow on ampicillin)
bacteria with the original plasmid (they can grow on ampicillin AND tetracycline)
and bacteria that haven't taken up a plasmid (can't grow on either)

using replica plating you can identify which colonies are which, as you only want the bacteria that ONLY grow on ampicillin
Original post by bzzz
I need an A, which doesn't seem so likely right now with less than a week til the exam...

Aw, I'm sure you'll be fine, just keep going :redface:
i'm totally freeeeeeeeeeaking about this exam - it's so content heavy OMD.
Does anyone know if i got a high A last year and a high A in the course work... the average sort of mark in both A2 modules for an over all B?!!?

thaanks :smile:
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Anyone staying up tonight to revise? :redface:

I am possibly :smile:

Original post by ranastaciam
i'm totally freeeeeeeeeeaking about this exam - it's so content heavy OMD.
Does anyone know if i got a high A last year and a high A in the course work... the average sort of mark in both A2 modules for an over all B?!!?

thaanks :smile:

If you want me to work it out for you the exact UMS, you can PM me your UMS from last year and marks /40 in the practical :smile:
Original post by sportycricketer
I am possibly :smile:
)

:smile:

I really need to start proper revision for my other exams but I just can't when I find this module so hard :redface:
All the old papers, Growth, Development, Reproduction, Application of Genetics, Environmental Biology, Microbiology and Biotechnology, Mammalian Physiology and Synoptic questions papers and mark schemes!

http://www.mediafire.com/?4qw4q5v7zb5pivn
Original post by intellectual1
All the old papers, Growth, Development, Reproduction, Application of Genetics, Environmental Biology, Microbiology and Biotechnology, Mammalian Physiology and Synoptic questions papers and mark schemes!

http://www.mediafire.com/?4qw4q5v7zb5pivn

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 730
hey guys what do you think the chances of the chi squared test, epistasis, and genetic diagrams will come up seeing as it came up in june 2010? I've heard about how ocr are trying to cover all of a topics in f215 within 4 exams (not sure whether this is true or not)
You've got 5 days for Bio5 and almost 7 days for the Chem5...remember the new A2 exams are more concerned with the "application of knowledge in novel contexts!"

hey thanks for the support, yeh im having to quickly rush thru it all, all i can do now is read throughly thru da revision guides and learn da main stuff as i dont have the time to do da extra stuff. gud luk wid ur revision.
thanks
Original post by India27
hey guys what do you think the chances of the chi squared test, epistasis, and genetic diagrams will come up seeing as it came up in june 2010? I've heard about how ocr are trying to cover all of a topics in f215 within 4 exams (not sure whether this is true or not)

i thought they covered all the content within 6 exams? ie 3 yr cycle...it is the reason why universities demand that applicants redo their alevels as they're only valid for 3yrs... hmmm it should be an easier paper than jan11 thats for sure...
Original post by broken_glass_heart
hey thanks for the support, yeh im having to quickly rush thru it all, all i can do now is read throughly thru da revision guides and learn da main stuff as i dont have the time to do da extra stuff. gud luk wid ur revision.
thanks

there is still time for you to go through each spread in the textbook! :wink: and summarise all yuor notes as well...the revision guides do not contain all the info you must know...
could anyone explain how to sequence genomes. i understand that pcr occurs first but then dont no what happens next

cheers
Biology Factsheets are very useful are summarising the entire Biology spec...great for the Synoptic element! :smile:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ymp31saiz5rqlzs
These are the most important topics to know from AS and F214 for the Synoptic element of F215

MITOSIS - F211
STRUCTURE OF NUCLEIC ACIDS - F212
ENZYMES - F212
BIODIVERSITY, CLASSIFICATION, EVOLUTION AND MAINTAINING BIODIVERSITY - F212
NERVES AND HORMONES - F214
RESPIRATION - F214
Reply 737
The first spec point in the cloning topic mentions differences between reproductive and non-reproductive cloning. I can only figure out 1 difference so far (and a dodgy 2 more) :frown:

Anyone got any more differences? Would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 738
Original post by Waqar Y
The BAC stuff is just additional knowledge, it's how the human genome project was worked out if anything

Basically, BAC is to produce multiple copies of DNA fragments, giving a clonal libary - and giving overlapping fragments, because you cut the DNA fragments with restriction enzymes.

Then, it's just the automated sequencing method, otherwise known as the Chain-termination method:

1) DNA fragments are mixed with free DNA nucleotides, DNA primers, DNA polymerase and (flourescently labelled nucleotides, known as terminator bases)
2) The primer anneals(binds) to the 3' end of the DNA strand, so DNA polymerase can attach free DNA nucleotides to it.
3) Then, a terminator base will be attached, and this will throw off DNA polymerase, so the fragment of DNA will stop at a specific place

So now, you use electrophoresis where the fragments of DNA are seperated by there length > the shorter fragments will go through the gel quicker, and also will then reach the end where it will be exposed to UV light, and whatever colour it gives off will be fed into a computer system to show an electrophoresis graph.

Therefore, your then able to work out the colour sequence, which shows one of four colours (for the terminator bases which are flourescently labelled) > and then work out the sequence of nucleotide bases, as the shortest DNA fragment will always have one nucleotide, then another will have two. etcetc.

Hope that helps

That really helped, thanks :biggrin: Rep on the way x
Reply 739
Biology Factsheets are very useful are summarising the entire Biology spec...great for the Synoptic element! :smile:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ymp31saiz5rqlzs

Those are really good, especially as I'm retaking F214!! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending